Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2021, 02:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Rolling coal violations

Just curious if anyone has had any experience with taking people to court who do this intentionally? I've been thinking about it because I'm getting tired of it and the local police don't seem to care much when they do see it.
Currently, our state laws prohibit it. My main problem is I cycle during the summer months and have had this happen a few times. At times, it's caused my breathing problems to temporarily worsen and I don't carry my inhaler when cycling. I've also had this happen when driving my Subaru.
Since I already have a camera on my bike and in my car, I'm thinking about using that to file charges against offenders. I hear this happens a lot to people driving electric and hybrid cars.
Thanks in advance.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iHenry For This Useful Post:
aerohead (11-12-2021), Piotrsko (11-23-2021)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-11-2021, 09:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
Rolling coal on a bicyclist is low.
Never had anyone roll coal on my leaf.
I did roll diesel sludge on a new white Lexus before, but they deserved it. You get diesel sludge when you add gallons of used motor oil to diesel fuel, the oil collects in the exhaust then blows it out when you roll coal.
Old 11-11-2021, 09:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
Pretty sure it isn't a fast, easy cheap process. You'd have to do the small claims court process then take the judgement through the lien process to take posession of the offending truck. Unfortunately the people that you do this to are jerks to begin with and get significantly worse when you mess with them. You need assistance from law enforcement but good luck with that. Show and tell at the city council? Maybe.

Pretty much my story why I live in Reno now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Piotrsko For This Useful Post:
iHenry (11-16-2021)
Old 11-11-2021, 06:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
Yes a great man once said "small claims court is the only place where you will still see justice served".
The Following User Says Thank You to oil pan 4 For This Useful Post:
iHenry (11-16-2021)
Old 11-11-2021, 07:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thalmaturge

The Tinyvan - '07 Honda Fit Sport

Spicy Italian - '13 Fiat 500 Abarth

eBike - '94 Trek Mountain Track 820
Basically: the laws against coal rolling are toothless. I can't even get the police interested when people throw bottles (beer bottles, even!) at me from their trucks.

I'm not even on a fancy road bike in all spandex. Just riding my 1990's mountain bike to the convenience store etc. Red zone cycling. You have to stay on your toes.
The Following User Says Thank You to samwichse For This Useful Post:
iHenry (11-16-2021)
Old 11-11-2021, 08:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iHenry View Post
Just curious if anyone has had any experience with taking people to court who do this intentionally? I've been thinking about it because I'm getting tired of it and the local police don't seem to care much when they do see it.
Currently, our state laws prohibit it. My main problem is I cycle during the summer months and have had this happen a few times. At times, it's caused my breathing problems to temporarily worsen and I don't carry my inhaler when cycling. I've also had this happen when driving my Subaru.
Since I already have a camera on my bike and in my car, I'm thinking about using that to file charges against offenders. I hear this happens a lot to people driving electric and hybrid cars.
Thanks in advance.

No idea what law enforcement looks like in your city, but in places like PDX they don’t enforce burning buildings, stealing cat converters, camping on sidewalks, driving with expired plates… excessive exhaust soot would be so far down the list of things there.

The other challenge you’d face is IDing the driver. It’s one thing to match a vehicle to an owner, and another to ID the person doing the infraction. All that said, I give it little chance of going anywhere except to be logged in a book of complaints nobody will review.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
iHenry (11-16-2021)
Old 11-11-2021, 09:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Whatever you do, don't pack a paint ball gun and tag them.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Piotrsko (11-12-2021)
Old 11-11-2021, 11:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
I'm not favorable to rolling coal, because all that soot is unburnt fuel being wasted. But it doesn't seem to be worth your time hunting coal-rollers down.
The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
Piotrsko (11-12-2021)
Old 11-12-2021, 09:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
If you must: get a go pro and record the entire trip, do a show & tell at the local city hall public night of edited footage. Parts of CALI, you can get enforcement, but only from the local APCD. Better still: get a bunch of riders doing the same and then do a show and tell. 50 is a good size sample.

Better to get a medical full face high flow mask and accept the stink on your clothes.

BtdtMO
iHenry (11-16-2021)
Old 11-12-2021, 03:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,221 Times in 4,648 Posts
rolling coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHenry View Post
Thanks in advance.

1) you don't have a state law if it's not enforced.
2) someone in the loop has established some hierarchy and magnitude of 'importance' for the infraction, or not, and whether or not an officer or detective will respond.
3) the district attorney would be involved
4) County health department, ditto
5) without them, I don't see how 'court' is going to happen.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
6) Diesel exhaust is a registered human carcinogen according to the EPA.
7) Your local fuels provider may be able to put a DIESEL material safety data sheet ( MTDS ) in your hands
8) It appears that the US Commerce Dept. is more important than EPA, which could regulate SEMA, who's members produce the 'rolling-coal' technology, sold to truck owners ) technically violating their own reason for existence, although cancer does means a lot of good-paying jobs, so there's more economic stimulation if your life includes an oncologist, and all the ancillary economic activity which accompanies them.
9) A visit to the state capital, in person, or by phone, may get you copies of all the government pension plans,, and their investment portfolios, which may include 'rolling coal' industries, as in Texas.
9) The Interstate Commerce Commission would be authorized to seize all shipments at state borders, if instructed by those up the chain of command.
10) Lubbock County, Texas refused to help my mother.
11) Dallas County, Texas refused to help me.
12) The USEPA also refused to do anything for me.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* There's no mask which will protect you from the Diesel's 2.5-micron particulates, taking residence in your lungs, bloodstream, and brain.
* In court, it's virtually impossible to establish 'intent' on the part of the defendant, even if they should attempt to prosecute them.
My observation is that, people believe you have a right to life, as far as birth goes. After that, they could care less about whatever happens to you.
Good luck and best to you.

iHenry (11-16-2021)
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
chad, court, karma, legal, rolling coal, smog, violations