Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2021, 05:35 PM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Police haven't been defunded. I live in a liberal state and our police are paid over the national average, with some making 100k a year.

The Following User Says Thank You to iHenry For This Useful Post:
Gasoline Fumes (11-16-2021)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-16-2021, 07:16 PM   #22 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iHenry View Post
Thanks. I'm not worried about intent. Our state law says modifying your exhaust with anything different from stock is illegal if your vehicle is less than 25 years old. I'm just shopping for options because it's gotten dangerous walking or cycling.
Interesting tactic. With a video you can easily show that the vehicle has an illegally modified exhaust and with a plate you can see who owns it. That is clear proof that the owner has broken state law. It may be more difficult to make the connection between that owner and personal harm to yourself.

Of course if you escalate this the truck owners might switch tactics from rolling coal on you to aiming for your head with their mirrors. That is another popular game from the same group. Oops - sorry officer it was an accident. I knew someone that was killed that way and the driver wasn't even charged.

I stopped riding in Alabama because truck drivers would intentionally crowd cyclists and try to run them off the road.
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
aerohead (11-17-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 10:24 AM   #23 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,111 Times in 980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iHenry View Post
Thanks. I'm not worried about intent. Our state law says modifying your exhaust with anything different from stock is illegal if your vehicle is less than 25 years old. I'm just shopping for options because it's gotten dangerous walking or cycling.
Modifications to the exhaust has been federal illegal since 1972 unless the replacement part has an EPA exemption number/tag. Had to take the headers off the pinto. Mods to the emissions computer has been illegal since the 2000's even if your mods result in less tailpipe emissions. Unfortunately, there's no effective penalty except for one time forced compliance inspection. Up side is here in Reno they passed a city ordinance that impounds the vehicle for 30 days.

Also forgot, there's a county ordinance that phrohibits a vehicle getting closer than 3ft to bicyclists or pedestrians. Caused the yahoos to affix a meter stick to their mirrors

Last edited by Piotrsko; 11-17-2021 at 10:35 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Piotrsko For This Useful Post:
aerohead (11-17-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 11:36 AM   #24 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
Modifications to the exhaust has been federal illegal since 1972 unless the replacement part has an EPA exemption number/tag. Had to take the headers off the pinto. Mods to the emissions computer has been illegal since the 2000's even if your mods result in less tailpipe emissions. Unfortunately, there's no effective penalty except for one time forced compliance inspection. Up side is here in Reno they passed a city ordinance that impounds the vehicle for 30 days.

Also forgot, there's a county ordinance that phrohibits a vehicle getting closer than 3ft to bicyclists or pedestrians. Caused the yahoos to affix a meter stick to their mirrors
True but state and local jurisdictions don't enforce federal law. That is why having a state law is key to have any chance in a local court.
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
aerohead (11-17-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 02:51 PM   #25 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
I live in a small town and have known a few cyclists and pedestrians who have been ran over by trucks and SUV's, about half of them died. I also know of a few that modify their trucks to roll coal. Catalytic converter deletes are quite common on all vehicles, as well as those pesky LED bars that completely blind you. There are no emissions tests, so these modifications are easy to get away with.

My brother got his truck ran into by another pickup. They got a description of the truck and had witnesses that saw the driver and knew him so could easily identify him. The police did nothing and didn't seem to care.

I live in walking distance from my place of work (1.1 miles) and my wife argues I should take the car and not walk or bicycle to work. I used to ride my bicycle everywhere.
Old 11-17-2021, 06:24 PM   #26 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Some cyclists are actually quite abusive too. Once in a while I see some looking for trouble, being mouthy at motorists until someone loses the temper and goes after them.
Old 11-17-2021, 06:38 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Aerospyder - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Team Toyota
90 day: 41.98 mpg (US)

Simme - '83 IFA Simson Suhl S51
Motorcycle
90 day: 76.59 mpg (US)
I am quite surprised as to how crazy psychopaths some drivers seem to be over in the US.
Old 11-17-2021, 06:48 PM   #28 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahnschleicher View Post
I am quite surprised as to how crazy psychopaths some drivers seem to be over in the US.
You'll find psychoes anywhere, even there in Europe I guess.
Old 11-17-2021, 06:49 PM   #29 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Aerospyder - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Team Toyota
90 day: 41.98 mpg (US)

Simme - '83 IFA Simson Suhl S51
Motorcycle
90 day: 76.59 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
You'll find psychoes anywhere, even there in Europe I guess.
Yes, but like I can ride my bike safely here and coal rolling isn't a thing.
But then again, this could be a gendered thing.
Old 11-17-2021, 06:54 PM   #30 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahnschleicher View Post
Yes, but like I can ride my bike safely here and coal rolling isn't a thing.
I guess coal rolling is not so popular there because of tighter inspections, and fuel costs. You know, all that beautiful soot is actually unburnt fuel being wasted.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
chad, court, karma, legal, rolling coal, smog, violations