Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2011, 05:46 AM   #11 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaca75 View Post
I was wondering if you have added an after market cold air intake system. I was thinking about getting one like the K&N intake system. I heard that it can help. Nonetheless, thanks for this thread! It's awesome!
See this test by one of EMs founders on free flow air filters. Basic conclusion is that for FE save your money or spend it on more effective mods such as LRR tyres or an oil change to a better FE grade.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-09-2011, 07:54 AM   #12 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
I have to agree with Arragonis on the exhaust system stuff, given the hefty price tag ($600) you paid for that gain. But still, you need to love your car too... a new paint job does nothing for FE but it does help you love the car (hopefully) and therefore keep it, saving the dump space.

For the moon disc caps... I just learned about these from Quasimoto in a PM about his:

http://www.rockymountainwheel.com/in...ducts_id=27249
Racing Disc Hubcaps (Pop-On). Scion Hubcaps, Vintage, Kustom Wheel Covers

Impressive numbers you have out of this car... do you keep a fuel log on this site?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cistercian View Post
Nearly six years ago I became fed up with the oil companies and so I decided to buy a lot less of their products.I purchased a 1995 Honda Civic EX coupe that was a salvage vehicle for 2800 dollars with 134,000 miles on it.When I got it, it only got 34mpg Highway.
I increased the tire pressure to the maximum cold pressure.I switched to Mobil 1 5w30 and the mobile 1 filter.I installed new plug wires,rotor and cap.
I installed NGK Iridium standard heat range plugs.I replaced the oil in the transmission with synthetic Mobile 1.
Then I drove it.Over the first year the hwy mpg slowly floated above 40mpg.
I then added a Tanabe Super Racing Medallion exhaust system.That instantly netted 2mpg hwy....and considerably better high RPM HP.The mileage has stopped increasing and has now stabilized at 40 to 46mpg combined.I have gotten over 50mpg (53.4mpg absolute record)5 times....pure hwy,59mph.
The car has higher than stock compression...I estimate roughly 10 to 1.It is supposed to be 9.2 to one.I am not certain, which is a shame.

I have toyed with the idea of lighter wheels....but the lighter ones are not aerodynamic enough.What would help some is a set of moon wheel covers...but I can't find any.
My last tank was 45.983mpg.And it was a mix with plenty of city!
Current odometer is 266xxx!

I love my car!
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:11 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaca75 View Post
This is the first thread I've ever joined because its been really informative. I just bought a 1995 Civic Ex Coupe with a 1.6L Vtec engine and 141,xxx miles and I'm looking into how to get better mpg. I haven't done a very accurate reading yet but it looks like I got about 31mpg on my last tank that was probably 90% city driving.

I was wondering if you have added an after market cold air intake system. I was thinking about getting one like the K&N intake system. I heard that it can help. Nonetheless, thanks for this thread! It's awesome!
I use the stock intake system.When it gets cold, I flip the air horn to face the radiator.In hot weather the car loses too much power so I run it stock.
I don't think the Honda has an inadequate intake design...I would spent the money elsewhere.Since I am 49 and wear a tie I can get away with my exhaust system...which is really loud at WOT.It is a ticket getter for a younger driver!
The hotter it is outside, the better my fuel economy gets.I got 46 out of my last tank...and that included some over 5500rpm fun.It was 93 degrees most of the time I was driving.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:08 AM   #14 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cistercian View Post
I use the stock intake system.When it gets cold, I flip the air horn to face the radiator.In hot weather the car loses too much power so I run it stock.
This is similar to what I have been experiencing, and you have a nice little solution. I run a WAI and I have been wondering about a different approach that would allow seasonal switching. Thanks for noting it.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Reply  Post New Thread