Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2008, 11:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
I was hoping to see that engine again. I noticed right away (a year ago?) in photos that the internals are bigger by millimeters. Good candidate to convert to gas and not tell anybody.

After the 3 main clunky breaks all world records and curses in the name of god, unlike the lovable flower covered beetle, it would be time to make sense of it all mr fuji heavy bull crapper..called "subaru"

The ej engine is a tragedy, and they get more than ever for it. Absolutely as backwards as a honda in an ice storm.
I hope the diesel comes here. the front of the engine has dangling things not thinking of the north apparently, but it is a good try, and of course they will steal boxer integrity like 5 mains in the first place, and call it the worlds first diesel boxer.. Thiefs keep on thieving. its a disease.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-05-2008, 03:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

The subaru diesel is a crap engine, even by diesel standards.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
The subaru diesel is a crap engine, even by diesel standards.
...and this is where you would say why

RH77

_
_
Old 10-06-2008, 02:22 AM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

I'm just telling it how it is.

Quote:
It’s crap. Normally, diesels are happiest at low revs in a high gear. Not the Legacy. It has the torque of a pencil sharpener, the life and soul of a corpse. You need to be in first until the whole engine has revved itself clean off its mountings, and even then when you go for second it judders and shivers in protest.

I don’t care if it uses only a gallon of fuel every 6m miles; it is just not worth the bother. And to make matters worse it’s not available with an automatic gearbox.

The Legacy with a petrol engine? Yes. Definitely. It has bingo wings, a great suit, the right moustache and a silly hat in the shape of a mad sunroof. If it could talk, you know it would sound like Edward Fox. It’s a brilliant all-rounder. But the diesel? Not in a million years.
Jeremy Clarkson Subaru Legacy Outback TD RE review | Driving - Times Online

Last edited by tjts1; 10-06-2008 at 02:28 AM..
Old 10-06-2008, 07:50 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
You're just telling how one guy feels about it. Moreover, Mr. Clarkson isn't a reference in our spectrum of automotive performance, he couldn't care less about fuel economy.

How bout we look at the numbers.

148 hp and 258 pound-feet of torque, more than the new (to us) 2.0 VW CR TDI.
Peak torque at 1800 rpm and peak power at 3600 rpm, pretty much like any small diesel.
50 mpg on the highway, sounds good to me.

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...
Old 10-06-2008, 09:33 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

rust bucket - '94 Geo Metro XFI XFI
90 day: 51.6 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
Toyota...Honda...BMW...Subaru all have terrific diesels that they sell in other countries, but which they do not offer in the US. I think that's a shame, but I'm glad to see Subaru joining VW and MB.

You read it over and over from us TDi nuts...load the car to the gunwales with people and luggage...blast up the freeway at 70 mph with the a/c on full tilt boogie gettin' 50 mpg. I mean geez, how much easier does doubling you mpg get?

Oh yeah...Ford and GM's European subsidiaries both offer PDG diesels over there, too. But do you think they'd sell them here? Nooooo, don't want to rock the boat.

Speaking of Ford, do you guys remember a few years ago when Ford came close to signing a follow-on deal with International to replace the 7.3 PSD? Well, the engine under consideration was totally modular, meaning it could be built in V-6 thru V-10 versions. If they hadn't all started pointing fingers and blaming each other instead of working together to address the issues, Ford would have had a nice little V-6 diesel to put in everything from mid-size cars to light pickups.

That would have been cool!

Yeah and it would have most likely been a POS like the 6.0L and the new 6.4L Ford/Navistar has there head up there ass with diesel engines. They have a long ways to go to catch GM and Cummins. Too bad the new 6.7L Cummins is a fuel hog unlike the 5.9L.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasdrouille View Post
You're just telling how one guy feels about it. Moreover, Mr. Clarkson isn't a reference in our spectrum of automotive performance, he couldn't care less about fuel economy.
If you don't like the message, shoot the messenger. Jeremy Clarkson has done more to promote efficient diesel fueled cars than you could ever dream of. You're just afraid to admit it because it doesn't fit in with your world view.

Quote:
148 hp and 258 pound-feet of torque, more than the new (to us) 2.0 VW CR TDI.
Peak torque at 1800 rpm and peak power at 3600 rpm, pretty much like any small diesel.
50 mpg on the highway, sounds good to me.
If you think an AWD diesel Subaru Outback can get 50 US mpg on the highway, I can cut you a killer deal on a bridge in Brooklyn. Pretty much any small diesel will have peak power at 4000 rpm and most modern diesels will rev out all the way to 5000rpm after that. Peak torque at 1800rpm and peak power at 3600rpm is pathetic and useless in a car engine.

Some diesel engines are just plain crap. This Subaru diesel is one of them. Its their first effort. They've never build a diesel engine before. I would wait until the second or third generation.

Last edited by tjts1; 10-06-2008 at 01:21 PM..
Old 10-06-2008, 01:21 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
[...]
You think a diesel Subaru Outback is going to get 50 US mpg on the highway? LOL
If you belive that, I could cut you a killer deal on a bridge in Brooklyn. Oh and pretty much any small diesel will have peak power at 4000 rpm and most modern diesels will rev out all the way to 5000rpm after that. Peak power at 3600rpm is pathetic and useless in a car engine.

Some diesel engines are just plain crap. This Subaru diesel is one of them. Its their first effort. They've never build a diesel engine before. I would wait until the second or third generation.
The legacy sedan does in fact return over 50 mpg in the euro combined cycle.

I guess 1997-2003 TDIs, which have peak power at 3300 rpm are pretty pathetic and useless.

Concerning my comment on Mr. Clarkson I should have specified that he burnt more fuel in cars than most of us will ever burn. Not too surprising for a man who said: "I do have a disregard for the environment. I think the world can look after itself and we should enjoy it as best as we can".

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...

Last edited by tasdrouille; 10-06-2008 at 01:31 PM..
Old 10-06-2008, 01:44 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post

Oh yeah...Ford and GM's European subsidiaries both offer PDG diesels over there, too. But do you think they'd sell them here? Nooooo, don't want to rock the boat.
Yeah, I'm seeing that. That little bailout that just occurred put a nice piece of of the american taxpayer's money in their pockets too. I didn't realize that while getting stabbed in the back the purchase of the dagger was required.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:59 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
The legacy sedan does in fact return over 50 mpg in the euro combined cycle.
Bull ****
VCAcarfueldata.org.uk - Search Results - Further Information

Urban 33.6mpg US
Extra Urban 49mpg US
Combined 41mpg US

There is no diesel Subaru that can return 50mpg US on the euro combined cycle. Not by a long shot. If you want to 'clarify' your statement about using Imperial MPG to inflate the numbers, this would be the time.

Reply  Post New Thread