Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Suggestions Wanted/My Geo Rebuild Project

Hello Everyone:

I've just recently found a 1990 Geo Metro Lsi shell for $250, whereas I'm getting ready to build the metro of my dreams. Now just like everyone else, I'm hoping to achieve 50+plus mpg; but without utilizing any areo-mods (i.e. no offense to anyone who's done this).

Instead, I'm focusing upon engines modification that will effectively help me to achieve the gas mileage of an XFI, while choosing other modifications that influence the effects of rolling resistance. Now before anyone mentions it, I'm aware that there are numerous threads that deal with this topic, yet the information is a bit scattered throughout different threads.

What I'm hoping to get is feedback, regarding the many engine modification that that I've picked up from this site, along with others like it in the best possible combinations. A consensus of what works best in the real world if you will. Ultimately, what I am willing to do is to combine these suggestions and post the results. So please help me to pick the best combinations...Thank you.

-An economy head from 3-tech performance.
-Ported and polished head.
-An economy cam from 3-tech performance.
-XFI cam advanced 4-5 degrees
-Advanced timing sprocket (8*)
- 1 compression ring instead of two.
-Convert to a 4 wire Oxygen Sensor or
-Converted to an Innovate LC-1 wideband Oxygen Sensor
-MSD 6AL Ignition Module and Accel Supercoil
-XFI ECU or
-Megasquirt ECU.
-Finding an XFI transmission.
-Synthetic Dextron III ATFGear oil in trans
-K&N filter.
-Cold air intake.
-2″ exhaust with free flowing muffler.
-High output catalytic converter.
-Synthetic 0w20 oil
-13 inch or 14inch tires to drop the rpms
-Light weight rims
-Rolling Resistant tires that are as narrow as possible.
-Belly Pan.
-Lowering the car 2 inches.
-Anything else I may not have mentioned.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-02-2013, 11:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Jimmy - '00 GMC Jimmy SLT
90 day: 21.18 mpg (US)

The White Gnat - '99 Suzuki Swift
Team Suzuki
90 day: 51.87 mpg (US)
Well, technically, a belly pan is an aero mod. If you're willing to do that, why not a "stealth" grille block?

Are you willing to use "driving techniques"? Because that can probably overwhelm any extreme engine work (driving "bad" can give you worse mileage than driving "good" with a stock engine, while driving "good" can give you better mileage with a stock engine than driving "bad" with all the engine mods possible)

For example, I've hit or exceeded 50 mpg on the highway twice with an un-modified FOUR cylinder '99 Suzuki Swift (the bigger, heavier model).
The Following User Says Thank You to wmjinman For This Useful Post:
Davo53209@yahoo.com (02-02-2013)
Old 02-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Aerofocus (retired) - '00 Ford Focus ZX3
90 day: 44.66 mpg (US)

The Red Baron (sold) - '93 Geo Metro
90 day: 44.1 mpg (US)
geometroforum.com might be able to help you out a little more,

But the 3-tech head with 3-tech cam and advanced timing sprocket provides good results

Or if you can find it, the Xfi camshaft and xfi ECU in a rebuilt head.

Both combinations should be about the same.

I'd go for the 3.79 final ratio transmission that was found in the xfi.

I'd stick with the 12 inch tires if you use the 3.79 transmission because a lot of people complain about having to slip the clutch too much if you use taller tires. plus, the 12 inch tires are skinnier for less rolling resistance.

Lowering is definitely good in the geos especially if you need new suspension pieces anyway. the geometroforum.com can help you out as far as the best springs, struts, and stuff.

- 1 compression ring instead of two.
-Convert to a 4 wire Oxygen Sensor or
-Converted to an Innovate LC-1 wideband Oxygen Sensor
-MSD 6AL Ignition Module and Accel Supercoil
-K&N filter.
-Cold air intake.
-2″ exhaust with free flowing muffler.
-High output catalytic converter.

All of this is not worth the money or would actually hurt your mpg

If I was you, I'd go through everything and rebuild it. I'm talking about completely stripping the chassis down to the wiring and windshield. paint it. and restore that bad boy. It's my plan once I Find my geo, and you can basically end up with a brand new car for $3000.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmjinman View Post
Well, technically, a belly pan is an aero mod. If you're willing to do that, why not a "stealth" grille block?

Are you willing to use "driving techniques"? Because that can probably overwhelm any extreme engine work (driving "bad" can give you worse mileage than driving "good" with a stock engine, while driving "good" can give you better mileage with a stock engine than driving "bad" with all the engine mods possible)

For example, I've hit or exceeded 50 mpg on the highway twice with an un-modified FOUR cylinder '99 Suzuki Swift (the bigger, heavier model).
Yes you are certainly right in saying that a belly pan is technically an aero-mod. Instead, what I was trying to say was that I'd rather not do anything that radically changes the appearance of the vehicle. A grille block is another good suggestion, and as for driving techniques, you may be please to know that I do that already.

Reply  Post New Thread