Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2011, 04:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ZX - '97 Citroen ZX Monaco
OldContinents
90 day: 61.05 mpg (US)
Surprising good first hypermiling tank

I have trying to improve my mileage some time, but have done only one tank (and half of current tank) after finding this site, I did not find much new from hypermiling tips, but I did taped grille and gaps at front when I did fill up last time, however weather was horrible, very strong wind against, but still I hope to get somewhere near to first tank MPG like readings after filling up.

I was kind of surprised how well MPG turned out to be for first tank, my all time best is just tiny bit better than latest tank, I always fill so I can see fuel and last few gallons I fill slowly so it would not foam as diesel has habit to do.

As I drive only long trips my MPG has been rather constant, but wind has affected it a lot always, so I hope to get some improvement to that with some mods.

My car has not any cpu units, well maybe abs box has, but it has not even diagnostics plug as garage found out, but it is good tested old fashion mechanical components, so it should not fail very easily and whatever mods I make are easy to make.

There was no EPA readings for my car as car was never sold in US, but I did used standard highway/city/combined readings.

Looking forward to get more improvements in a future, when I get some mods into place.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-14-2011, 04:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Good job
Now that your car is in the garage and has a fuel log, you may consider joining one of the teams, just for some competitive fun
EcoModder Team Competition

BTW: In your ZX's garage entry you have "vacuum gauge" as your instrumentation. Is this a mistake? Vacuum gauges on diesels are useless: vacuum comes from a vacuum pump slapped onto the engine, not from the manifold (since diesels don't have a throttle).

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 04-14-2011, 04:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ZX - '97 Citroen ZX Monaco
OldContinents
90 day: 61.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
Good job
Now that your car is in the garage and has a fuel log, you may consider joining one of the teams, just for some competitive fun
EcoModder Team Competition

BTW: In your ZX's garage entry you have "vacuum gauge" as your instrumentation. Is this a mistake? Vacuum gauges on diesels are useless: vacuum comes from a vacuum pump slapped onto the engine, not from the manifold (since diesels don't have a throttle).
I must consider that team thing, sounds interesting

Yes, there is vacuum gauge mentioned, it is really a boost gauge as car is turbo diesel, gauge has also vacuum side too, shows nicely when it is time to renew air filter

There was no option as a boost gauge so I thought that vacuum gauge must be enough close as it is really same way I use boost gauge, to monitor load and keep my foot from pressing too much of loud pedal, it shows much smaller increments than what I can feel or hear, really a great help.

I have not yet had time for filling all the boxes there, so that is one which I should put to as explanation, also bit about mods planned and done need to be written.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbo View Post
Yes, there is vacuum gauge mentioned, it is really a boost gauge as car is turbo diesel, gauge has also vacuum side too, shows nicely when it is time to renew air filter
I like that idea of having a boost/vacuum gauge. I might have to buy one for my project.