Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2011, 12:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Shell says ethanol knocks down CO2 big time

From the link in the ads at the top of the page...

Smarter products | Innovation

Quote:
Biofuels

We believe that biofuels present the most practical, commercial way to reduce CO2 in the transport fuels sector over the next 20 years. We are already among the world’s largest distributors of biofuels. Now we are moving into the production of one of the most sustainable and lowest-CO2 biofuels, ethanol from Brazilian sugar cane. This offers a reduction of around 70% on CO2 emissions from production to use compared to conventional petrol.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-09-2011, 08:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
The PRC.

Why not just use less in the first place ?
Old 11-09-2011, 08:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
I don't know about Shell, but according to this article cellulostic ethanol is FINALLY going to start being used in mass production. Poet LLC (the current largest refiner of ethanol in the US) is putting up a plant that is due to start production in early 2013, and BP has a plant going up that'll be running in late 2013. This is what has really been needed to make cellulose a viable and reasonable alternative fuel IMO. The price should drop, the energy to make it is less as well as the alleged impact on the food supply.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Alleged?

The price should drop, the energy to make it is less as well as the alleged impact on the food supply.

What subsidies, direct and indirect? Are the fuel "crops" contemplated nitrogen-fixing? What is the cost of removing productive farmland from food production? What level of production is contemplated without the addition of fossil fuel fertilizers, herbicides, pesticides, etc?

What percentage increase to the nations "supply"? A day or two of respite? As against capital investment that might have gone elsewhere in re fuel production and use? Versus farmland, equipment and the cost of money increased for a taxpayer scam?

Is there not a problem -- even the least bit of cognitive dissonance -- in understanding that a transnational corporation has only it's own interests at heart? That this is PR -- propaganda -- where the best ROI for a society is concerned, and is not done in a true cost accounting?

Alleged? Try looking at the cost of food basics, globally. The North may not give a flip for the South, or the West for the East, but commodity food prices are rising -- being pinched. Diverting farmland for extra-high cost "fuel" is nothing but a scam, before, and remains so now.

Both the above-referenced articles are little more than "investor feel good" words and phrases. I admire the use of floodgates, ha!

Might have a look, instead, at articles that may be similar, but far more promising with the idea that Moore's Law may apply to solar. Despite problems of materials acquistion, manufacture, etc, it would be welcome news to individual/familial energy independence with long term investment returns.

Last edited by slowmover; 11-09-2011 at 10:58 AM..
Old 11-09-2011, 11:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

GreenTurtle (Retired) - '01 Toyota Echo Sedan
90 day: 44.85 mpg (US)

Zulu - '14 Honda CR-Z
90 day: 49.05 mpg (US)
My local Shell started adding ethanol (up to 10 %) to regular gas (87 & 89).
Old 11-09-2011, 11:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
Why not just use less in the first place ?
Indeed. Why not drive less? Why not live closer to work and play? Why not drive more efficiently? Why not drive efficient vehicles? Ride share? Have fewer kids?

Cuz I guess it's unreasonable to expect these things of people.

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
Ryland (11-11-2011)
Old 11-09-2011, 11:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Alleged?

The price should drop, the energy to make it is less as well as the alleged impact on the food supply.

What subsidies, direct and indirect? Are the fuel "crops" contemplated nitrogen-fixing? What is the cost of removing productive farmland from food production? What level of production is contemplated without the addition of fossil fuel fertilizers, herbicides, pesticides, etc?

What percentage increase to the nations "supply"? A day or two of respite? As against capital investment that might have gone elsewhere in re fuel production and use? Versus farmland, equipment and the cost of money increased for a taxpayer scam?

Is there not a problem -- even the least bit of cognitive dissonance -- in understanding that a transnational corporation has only it's own interests at heart? That this is PR -- propaganda -- where the best ROI for a society is concerned, and is not done in a true cost accounting?

Alleged? Try looking at the cost of food basics, globally. The North may not give a flip for the South, or the West for the East, but commodity food prices are rising -- being pinched. Diverting farmland for extra-high cost "fuel" is nothing but a scam, before, and remains so now.

Both the above-referenced articles are little more than "investor feel good" words and phrases. I admire the use of floodgates, ha!

Might have a look, instead, at articles that may be similar, but far more promising with the idea that Moore's Law may apply to solar. Despite problems of materials acquistion, manufacture, etc, it would be welcome news to individual/familial energy independence with long term investment returns.

Perhaps it is a mistake for society to demand so much of it's farmland. Doesn't leave much wiggle room for instances of bad crop years either. But hey, what's more important, crapping out those extra mouths to feed (6,000,000,000 and counting) or looking at the big picture?

Old 11-09-2011, 12:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
I'm sure corn produced ethanol has driven up the price of food, but not nearly to what most seem to think. The price of all food has increased quite a bit over recent years. Farmers are still being paid to not produce crops, so its not like we don't have the land to grow more stuff. The problem is with all the subsity and all the politics involved with ethanol (and food and fuel) you can never get a straight answer. If you have solid info to backup your case I'd be glad to change my mind. However, I'm still willing to pay more for food to cut our depenance on foreign oil. As I said, cellulostic ethanol should reduce many of the ethanol problems. I'm sure the change won't be made overnight, but at least its being put into production vs just being tested in labs.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Perhaps it is a mistake for society to demand so much of it's farmland. Doesn't leave much wiggle room for instances of bad crop years either. But hey, what's more important, crapping out those extra mouths to feed (6,000,000,000 and counting) or looking at the big picture?
( Or use more of the farmland wasted to feeding cows to feed people, thereby resulting in less emissions from the cows as well ( eat less meat ) ...but back on topic eh ? )

So I'm wondering where the break even point is when it comes to emissions versus ( more gasoline ) fuel used, since burning more gasoline results in more pollution.

A 70% reduction in emissions IS huge. I would call that a win !

Last edited by Cd; 11-09-2011 at 04:17 PM..
Old 11-09-2011, 01:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Out here in the prime farmland of California, the problem is not ripping out productive farmland to plant fuel crops. It's ripping out productive farmland to plant shopping centers and McMansions, connected by 80-foot wide rows of asphalt.

Quote:
Indeed. Why not drive less? Why not live closer to work and play? Why not drive more efficiently? Why not drive efficient vehicles? Ride share? Have fewer kids?

Cuz I guess it's unreasonable to expect these things of people.
Betting against human nature is never a winning bet.

Reply  Post New Thread