Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2010, 08:08 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Crimson Crawler - '04 Hyundai Elantra GLS
90 day: 36.71 mpg (US)
P.S. I hate you. Sort of. I have a friend that wants to do an EV conversion, and I've been showing him your work...

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-21-2010, 11:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Ever seen $250,000 of cars in two parking spaces? Now you can! Watch this video clip!

The EV Charging Station ribbon-cutting was a pretty cool event. There weren't any TV news camera crews. Where the event was is in a resort area almost equidistant from the three nearest major cities.

Besides the red Tesla the dealership brought out, there was also the beautiful blue one there, with its owner, Carl!

Not to be outdone, the Milwaukee Electric Car Club brought out both the Electro-Metro (towed down there) and Brians EV S10 Truck (which he drove! Good thing he had that generator with! I only passed him once on the way down seeing him on the side of the road charging!)

When everyone was looking at the cars before the ceremony, I did notice something that I was rather proud of. While about a dozen people were gathered around looking at the Tesla, FOUR people were still looking at my Metro INSTEAD! ha!

I asked if it might be possible for me to go for a ride in the blue Tesla. Carl kindly obliged, and said that he would take me for a spin before I left.

Two years ago. I got to sit in a Tesla. With it parked. Not moving at all.

You almost have to step down into the roadster. Your butt is about six inches off the ground. The seats themselves are really rather comfortable. Even though the entire car is very low, while sitting in it, there is a feeling of being surrounded and protected.

The instrumentation is real simple. On the dash, there is a speedometer, and a Kilowatt meter. That one goes both positive and negative, to show energy used, and energy regenerated from braking.

The parking lot was of course a low speed area, and the speed limit on the road was 25 MPH. The specs on the Tesla say 0 to 60 in 3.9 seconds. It doesn't tell you how fast it can go from 0 to 25!

I squealed like a girl.

Carl took me out to the interstate, went up one exit, looped around, and came back.

It was a fun ride. It's a great car.

No, I can't afford a Tesla.
On the other hand, the Tesla doesn't have the grocery, firewood, or tool-carrying capacity of the Electro-Metro. Or the pride of "I did it myself".

But for any of you with the dollars burning a hole in your pocket. Run, don't walk to your nearest Tesla dealer. (See Dustin at the Chicago dealership!)

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
Old 04-30-2010, 03:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

We had 5 of the Tesla's show up at the drags last summer, they were running low 13.00 sec 1/4 miles.

Very cool cars.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Even though I marked the title of this thread as TESLA VS ELECTRO-METRO, what would be really fantastic is a TAG-TEAM!

If I could, I would take one each Electro-Metro AND Tesla Roadster!

Just imagine what a team they would make!

Drive the Electro-Metro to haul massive amounts of groceries! They take the Tesla out for a hot date!

Move furniture with the Metro, then drag race with the Tesla!

Drive to the golf course in the Tesla, and have your caddy drive the Metro, carrying all the golf clubs!

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
charging station, electro-metro, metro, roadster, tesla