Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2011, 04:32 AM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 72.22 mpg (US)

Big, Bad & Flat - '01 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,353 Times in 711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roflwaffle View Post
Do you have a link to your story? I think a cent or two per bulb is a far cry from ~$60+ less per bbl, but as with most things I'll believe it when I see it.
No, I don't have a link. I think I read it in Scientific American. Could be wrong though, it was several years ago.

To clarify, the .01-.015 cents per LED was not the cost of the LED itself. It was for the royality that was to be paid on each LED produced using their technological process.

>

Last edited by redneck; 02-13-2011 at 04:55 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-14-2011, 01:40 AM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

the green machine :P - '97 Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ
90 day: 20.92 mpg (US)

Thee s10 - '00 Chevy S10
90 day: 24.27 mpg (US)

Freedom - '05 Kawasaki Ninja 250EX
90 day: 75.55 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazInMT View Post
I think biofuel from algae is waiting in the wings. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to see the beauty in that stuff. I think like many others have said here, it is just a matter of maintaining the status quo, everything is in place to pump petroleum outta the ground, process it, distribute it, and burn it up in our cars. Until that runs out, I don't think competing technologies will be allowed to emerge.

I like the comment on Nuclear Power, it is obscene that we do not reprocess the nuclear fuel from our plants in order to use it all up. The fact that we don't reprocess and that all the spent fuel from all the nuclear reactors remains on the site of the nuclear plant from which it was pulled, leads me to believe some truly moronic people are behind these policies. America is mega ignorant about what is reality in the nuclear industry. If the public to know more, and understood it, we'd have nuke plants providing all our electric needs, and reprocessing would require the disposal of only a small amount of high level waste with a few hundred year half life instead of the few hundred thousand year half life of the current "spent fuel" waste.

Ya had to get me started didn't cha???
on the nuclear power, the government placed a ban on producing nuclear power plants when there was the melt down of though's plant's back in the 60's or 70's (i think i don't remember the dates right now). It's idiotic for the government to ban a technology just because something bad happened once you know, i mean we have a problem with a nuclear power plant or 2 and the government bans the production of anymore nuclear power plants. We have a problem with 1 oil rig in the golf and they shut down drilling for almost a year it really makes no sense if you ask me!!(i understand having a freeze on drilling in the golf to double check the rigs for anything wrong but there's no reason to have it as long as they have)
Old 02-14-2011, 01:36 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
You're kidding right?
Old 02-14-2011, 01:45 PM   #24 (permalink)
Polymorphic Modder

2006 DaCivic Hybrid - '06 Honda Civic Hybrid
90 day: 45.16 mpg (US)
The answer is for us all to move to a windy area (for windpower), next to a river or stream (for hydro). Make our own electricity to power our cars and homes. Then we can thumb our noses at the Middle East Oil barons.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:01 PM   #25 (permalink)
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
You're kidding right? About what rofl? Unlike the other thread in ecomodder on HHO, Stovie & I are in agreement here. It is stupid to abandon the Gulf of Mexico as a potential source of oil because of one accident. We still drive cars when 115 people DIE every day, we fly in airplanes, we dig coal out of the ground, and we sleep in houses that catch fire and kill 8 people per day. So besides a few unlucky fish, birds & oysters, show me the huge Eco disaster that happened as a result of the gulf oil spill? It has healed itself, just like every day that thousands of barrels oil seep naturally into the Gulf. There are bacteria that thrive on this stuff, it has been occurring for billions of years. It is like worrying about a cup of milk spilled in a room filled with 20 cats. Go figure.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:33 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
Since when did we abandon drilling in the Gulf?

The problem with accidents/spills is that they get people killed and destroy more business in the region (tourism, fishing, and so on) than the oil provides. It's not like running a safer drilling operation is that hard. I have family that have worked on rigs for decades and they said straight up that the accident was caused by cutting corners. It's not too much to expect companies to fly right and not kill people/cause billions in economic damages.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:00 PM   #27 (permalink)
dude...wait...what?

Diesel Rx-7 - '82 Mazda Rx-7 GSL

merc 300d - '82 Mercedes-benz 300d dt

b2200 diesel - '84 Mazda b2200 D
If i lived anywhere near the gulf i would be fighting drilling as much as possible like ^^ just said there is more to the gulf than oil. Just because we are able to pull the oil out and make money doesn't mean it outweighs the cost on every other industry in the region if something goes wrong. Its like hanging a bucket of acid over someones head and assuring them its a durable bucket, accidents do happen.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:43 PM   #28 (permalink)
The PRC.

Oil is not just used for transportation fuel, it is far more important than that and will be drilled out or extracted no matter where it is. We can reduce the amount we use for transport but the rest is needed for all sorts of other things.

There is nothing we do from being born to when we die that does not involve oil.
Joenavy85 (02-15-2011)
Old 02-15-2011, 04:38 PM   #29 (permalink)
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline
90 day: 18.64 mpg (US)

Joetta - '86 Volkswagen Jetta Turbo Oil Burner
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.71 mpg (US)

Benzilla - '85 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 28.08 mpg (US)
Good point. Thousands of dollars of oil are used in the design and manufacture just one new car. Both in materials and in energy used to make it.

I look around my office and house and it is a base ingredient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
Oil is not just used for transportation fuel, it is far more important than that and will be drilled out or extracted no matter where it is. We can reduce the amount we use for transport but the rest is needed for all sorts of other things.

There is nothing we do from being born to when we die that does not involve oil.

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe.

The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed.”

Noah Webster, 1787

Last edited by Varn; 02-15-2011 at 06:44 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 02-15-2011, 09:21 PM   #30 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

the green machine :P - '97 Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ
90 day: 20.92 mpg (US)

Thee s10 - '00 Chevy S10
90 day: 24.27 mpg (US)

Freedom - '05 Kawasaki Ninja 250EX
90 day: 75.55 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roflwaffle View Post
Since when did we abandon drilling in the Gulf?

The problem with accidents/spills is that they get people killed and destroy more business in the region (tourism, fishing, and so on) than the oil provides. It's not like running a safer drilling operation is that hard. I have family that have worked on rigs for decades and they said straight up that the accident was caused by cutting corners. It's not too much to expect companies to fly right and not kill people/cause billions in economic damages.
you'll notice i didn't say abandoned i said ban, but yeah i meant the 6 month moratorium but it's actually gone for i think over 8 months now. what i'm worried about is if you look at( i think) minesotta had a 6 - 12 month moratorium on drilling for natural gas like 10 - 15 years ago and now they don't have enough to heat all the houses, there having to burn more coal for electricity and also they had a contract with texas to supply like 1200 megawatts of electricity and they had to cancel the contract cause they need it to heat houses now

Reply  Post New Thread