Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2008, 10:40 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2k2Prot5 - '02 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 33.82 mpg (US)
slow-in fast-out is actually a big fuel USER. that is a late-apex technique that applies to big HP cars with less than stellar handling (it was the motto for old ferrari race teams). I have a low HP car, so i try my best to maintain a wide arc through a turn, usually with no gas or breaks for a good portion of it. My smoother line also requires a smooth roll onto the throttle like you suggested. Heck, i race a Honda... i use 20 litres in a whole day of lapping while the V8 guys use 20L in a single half-hour session. I laugh every time I see them reaching for the fuel can

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-07-2008, 10:50 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Try a Bike

If you want to really expeience the energy used or wasted in a turn, ride a bicycle through it. Using 1/2 hp or so you can really feel the most economic path through a turn. My general observation-- the straightest line, no braking. This varies with road surface etc, your results may vary.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:16 AM   #13 (permalink)
Mechanical Engineer

The Truck - '02 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Sport
90 day: 13.32 mpg (US)

The Van 2 - '06 Honda Odyssey EX
90 day: 20.56 mpg (US)

GoKart - '14 Hyundai Elantra GT base 6MT
90 day: 32.18 mpg (US)

Godzilla - '21 Ford F350 XL
90 day: 8.69 mpg (US)
For a racer to ecodrive on the street my favorite technique is high-g cornering. Basically just don't slow down for a turn any more than you have to as it minimizes fuel consumed to resume cruising speed after the turn. I regularly enter marked 25mph uphill cloverleaf exit ramps at 55-60 and let the tires squeal as needed as the turn and the elevation change slow me down to the new road's 45mph limit. There's another ramp that's a 20mph-posted downhill 2-lane S'd exit/entry that I enter and exit at 55 and use a bit of the other lane or shoulder if I can. I like to gain speed on this ramp because it's downhill but dumps you out at the bottom of a hill on the new road.

So yes, passing technique to take advantage of high-g cornering and setting the corner up for a fast/smooth exit are excellent racing techniques to use on the street. I also like drafting but lots of folks (even here) get their panties in a wad over that.