Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2018, 12:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicl...ates_of_Oregon

The current Pacific Wonderland plate isn't a good color match, and has a sticker for the month. But for my 1979 car, it's as close as I can get.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-17-2018, 12:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
Big fan of the yellow plates. It was among the primary ways I identified unmarked patrol cars back in my days of speeding. Since almost nobody has them on a newer car, it stands out very well. I haven't paid attention to see if they are still running these yellow plates, mostly because I drive at a speed I'm willing to be "caught" doing. I don't slow down when I see an upcoming speed trap, and I don't slow down if I happen to be passing a cop. Mostly it's my way of protesting those who slam on their brakes and go 10 MPH under the speed limit after they had been doing 20 above, and hey, if I'm comfortable going the speed I'm going, I expect a resonable officer to also be comfortable with it.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 09-17-2018, 01:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

1. Go to YouTube
2. Find John Cadogans channel on said & watch every thing on electric/hydrogen/tesla etc
3. Realise that a Wolseley 18/85 II or for that matter a Triumph GT6 is cleaner (over its lifetime (including manufacturing) than a Tesla Muskkretinwagen Ausf. C).
4. Go find your grandpa's old Moisin-Nagant and give it a good clean.
5. Have fun with your mates in a "Pot the Teslidiot" competition.
6. Sell the concept to an American hunting club.
7. Profit.

All electric cars do is move the pollution around - yes if everyone on your street is a teslidiot then your street will be less polluted *locally* - the collective pollution will be the same (or likely worse). Then you've got build out the supporting architecture and replace flaky electrical systems in most older homes - more pollution and CO2 to build the new charging stations, upgrade older wiring and build out more (probably polluting) generation..

Don't get me started on Hydrogen.

Or you *could* use the solar catalytic tech that can make petroleum fuels from solar energy and the CO2 and other pollutants in the air - while using the current distribution network (for liquid fuels) that we already have (saving oodles of that nasty CO2, not to mention money (what you didn't know that concrete *produces* CO2 as it cures & for years afterwards)). Hell you could go the whole hog and force manufacturers to build upgrade kits for current models or a set architecture for engines transmissions (like ISA/EISA/FSB in computing) so you can mix and match a cleaner replacement into your current car.

Aluminium bodywork? Don't make me laugh. It takes 211Gj to melt a tonne of aluminium, it takes 22.7Gj to melt a tonne of steel. Yes you'll do a few more mpg, woo-bloody-hoo.

Singapore government actually took someone to court because he claimed that the sun shone out of his tesla's ass, and promptly proved that because Singaporean energy generation was *all* coal fired the Muskkretinwagen was actually the most polluting vehicle in the country (even making a Hindustan Ambassador diesel look positively green (and I'm talking the original 1.5 litre B Series, not the Isuzu transplant)).

I love it when a plan comes together..

Last edited by Rosieuk; 09-17-2018 at 01:36 PM..
Old 09-17-2018, 04:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Quote:
I love it when a plan comes together..
Seven steps to profit is three too many.

In fact, now that I look at it, steps 4,5, and 6 taken together — and for certain values of 'Pot' — constitute a call for exporting violence to the United States.

mumble mumble terms of service mumble mumble.

The carbon sequesteration idea is pretty good.

Old 09-17-2018, 06:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
Maybe I'll check this character out as you suggest, but I'm backlogged as it is...

That said, your generalization is generally not held to be true. It's especially not true where I live considering the bulk of the electricity is hydro derived.

Often the efficiency of something is reflected in the price. Electricity costs less per mile as a "fuel", and is therefore more efficient almost regardless of the energy source.

Increasing off-peak load can only improve the electricity infrastructure because it tends to level the differences between base and peak loads.

EVs are no salvation, but neither are they our damnation.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 09-19-2018, 12:31 AM   #16 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosieuk View Post
Singapore government actually took someone to court because he claimed that the sun shone out of his tesla's ass, and promptly proved that because Singaporean energy generation was *all* coal fired the Muskkretinwagen was actually the most polluting vehicle in the country (even making a Hindustan Ambassador diesel look positively green (and I'm talking the original 1.5 litre B Series, not the Isuzu transplant)).
Plus some older Diesels could run on waste frying oil straight from the pan, instead of requiring any processing other than filtering it with a piece of fabric.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:38 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Fact check...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_in_Singapore
Singapore generates power using oil, natural gas, LNG and waste. No coal at all.

As most power plants are on the industrial areas of Jurong island and the Tuas peninsula in the southwest, away from the city center 20 kilometers eastward, and the prevailing wind direction is either north of south, driving a Tesla there does make sense.

Tesla does not advertise, no need. Enough people like them anyway, and those who don't usually have their facts wrong, make name jokes, use vulgar language or show a general lack of respect - which only helps the case for Tesla.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Last edited by RedDevil; 09-20-2018 at 03:13 AM..
Old 09-21-2018, 08:40 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
EV's really do emit less carbon well-to-road, so to aid the development of the charging network will calculate carbon credits to network operators...
https://www.greencarreports.com/news...edit-standards
Quote:
By enabling charging companies to earn an additional 5 to 10 percent return on their capital by selling carbon-offset credits, the EVCCC hopes to encourage charging networks to speed up their investment in building more infrastructure. The most common carbon-offset buyers are universities, businesses, utilities, individuals, and other organizations such as non-profits, according to the EVCCC.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:22 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
I don't trust politicians too.

When I bought my Insight is was free of road tax, to stimulate hybrids.
One year later that became a 'slightly reduced' tax, now it is the same as gasoline cars.
Similar things happening in Belgium too.
Subsidized diesel cars up to 15% off sales price -including options- as they were so green and reduced CO2 ...
Diesel fuel was way cheaper than petrol back then.

FF 10 years, diesel cars are taxed more to own, and diesel fuel is taxed more to make it more expensive than petrol, and there's talk of banning them altogether ...

Solar panel were (excessively) subsidized for years
Now they're on people's roofs, they get taxed ....

Net result ?

People have become wary of g'ment-pushed eco solutions
So much it's actually further hampering the introduction of solar, altfuels (there's only fossil CNG here - abroad I buy biologically produced CNG made from "waste" )

Reply  Post New Thread