Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2019, 03:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Little Blue Fuel Sipper - '16 Nissan Versa SV Sedan
Team Nissan
90 day: 45.75 mpg (US)
Thottle Contoller

I've looked at throttle controllers before and just recently got started thinking about them again. Most if not all have an economy setting. Has anyone tried one? Did it help fuel efficiency? There are some available on eBay for about $70 which isn't a problem if they work. I really don't want to put that much into something that's not going to give any benefit. If it were $10 sure I'd buy one if it didn't do any good I'd chalk it up to a learning experience but being disabled and living on disability it's hard to justify a $70. experiment. I'm happy with the throttle response in normal driving and I'm no teenager anymore so I don't want or care about the sports modes.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-07-2019, 05:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts

https://www.oshkoshequipment.com/com...-New%20(4).jpg

One of these? All cars had them up until the 1940s. After that you had to use a broomstick.

Old 11-07-2019, 08:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Team Nissan
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post

https://www.oshkoshequipment.com/com...-New%20(4).jpg

One of these? All cars had them up until the 1940s. After that you had to use a broomstick.

What I'm talking about is a device that alters the voltage going from the gas pedal to the ECU which opens the throttle body butterfly on drive by wire. The more voltage added to the system the quicker the throttle body butterfly reacts to the pedal input. Lower voltage slows the response time and is supposed to increase efficiency.

The Following User Says Thank You to 2016 Versa For This Useful Post:
freebeard (11-07-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 09:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
I was trolling to get more information. It sounds like https://ecomodder.com/forum/instrumentation.html might be a good place.

I know I've seen people splicing a potentiometer into their wiring to spoof signals, but I don't remember the specifics, ...maybe forcing lean burn?

Old 11-08-2019, 12:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Team Nissan
Quote:

I know I've seen people splicing a potentiometer into their wiring to spoof signals, but I don't remember the specifics, ...maybe forcing lean burn?
I know the HHO crowd uses a pot to spoof the upstream 02 sensor signal supposedly to keep the 02 sensor from recognizing the extra oxygen in the mix and start dumping in extra fuel.

The throttle controller looks like it would be just thing if you were looking to unleash some extra power. I guess it's a good thing cars weren't drive by wire and these things available when I was a teenager.

Last edited by 2016 Versa; 11-08-2019 at 12:59 AM..
Old 11-08-2019, 05:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Eco-ventor

Princess - '92 Mazda MX-3 GS
House of Tudor
Team Mazda
90 day: 53.54 mpg (US)

Shirubāarō (*´ω`*) - '05 Toyota Prius Executive
Team Toyota
90 day: 54.88 mpg (US)

Blue Thunder - '20 Hyundai IONIQ Trend PHEV
Team Hyundai
Plug-in Hybrids
90 day: 587.16 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to jakobnev
Quote:
The more voltage added to the system the quicker the throttle body butterfly reacts to the pedal input. Lower voltage slows the response time and is supposed to increase efficiency.
It doesn't really add functionality, you can just push the pedal differently if you want to open the throttle differently.

2016: 128.75L for 1875.00km => 6.87L/100km (34.3MPG US)
2017: 209.14L for 4244.00km => 4.93L/100km (47.7MPG US)
Old 11-08-2019, 09:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,103 Times in 973 Posts
Some are electric motors, so obviously if you reduce voltage it will spin slower. Current goes up as a result, maybe frying the motor controller.

Ditto for the coil actuators. Just stick resistance in series.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Team Nissan
I ended up trying one of the throttle controllers. I got it one day last week and got it installed on the car Saturday. I was about 314 miles into the tank when I installed the controller and the Ultra Gauge was showing 44 MPG when installed. I drove on that tank until Sunday and 433.5 miles on the tank. The Ultra Gauge reading went from 44 MPG to 44.6 MPG in less than 120 miles. Actual mileage on that tank was 45.6 MPG. I can tell that the controller in Economy mode does slow down throttle response and RPM's don't rise as high on uphill grades as it did before. Before with the c/c set it wasn't uncommon to see the RPM's jump to 3K+ on some grades that I drive often but since it's been installed and on Economy mode I think the highest RPM that's been reported is about 2750. On smaller grades 250-500 RPM reduction seems to be normal. I'm currently about 35 miles into the new tank of gas and the Ultra Gauge is showing 45.5 MPG. I've had better MPG tanks but this seems to be pretty good considering the current temps. If there's anyone else interested in one of these there's a seller on eBay that asks $69.99 for them or best offer. They will sell them for $60. I figure if it helps at all it won't take long to recover my money in fuel savings. Their claim is 3-8% better mileage. Looking back at my log from this past spring when temps were approximately the same as they are now those 5 tanks and 1 tank this fall average was 45.1 MPG so an average above that for the rest of the late fall/winter/early spring can probably be considered saving. This past summers average was 48.5 MPG so this gives me a baseline to see whether it's saving anything or not. Before I was not able to manually open the throttle as slowly as I can using the controller. I haven't owned this car in really cold weather teens and below so I don't know how much that's going to affect my numbers when it happens.

Last edited by 2016 Versa; 12-11-2019 at 04:08 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread