Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2010, 03:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
jkp1187 -

As I just tried to (confusingly?) write, I mixed up my gearing and tire mods in post #8.

However, I would think that the 3-cylinder mode is very special programming. We already know that it engages automatically when the right conditions arise. While a tires size change wouldn't effect the MPH/RPM data, it might effect the calculated LOD (engine load) on the engine.

The more I think about it, the more I think you would still have 3-cylinder mode, but it would "move" into a different MPH/RPM/LOD range.

Again, I'm only speck-you-mull-ate-in,

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-22-2010, 06:36 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
jkp1187 -

As I just tried to (confusingly?) write, I mixed up my gearing and tire mods in post #8.

However, I would think that the 3-cylinder mode is very special programming. We already know that it engages automatically when the right conditions arise. While a tires size change wouldn't effect the MPH/RPM data, it might effect the calculated LOD (engine load) on the engine.

The more I think about it, the more I think you would still have 3-cylinder mode, but it would "move" into a different MPH/RPM/LOD range.

Again, I'm only speck-you-mull-ate-in,

CarloSW2
Got it. I understand now. Thanks!
Old 03-22-2010, 07:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Gray Jellybean - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 62.76 mpg (US)
My thought with the tires is that it is like a shorter gear ratio without the ecu knowing it. It will think it is going 70 when it's going sixty, except that the torque multiplication and higher rpm would make the engine produce more power/the same power with a smaller throttle opening. Translation: lighter load on the engine=more 3 cyl. mode. I'm guessing 3500rpm in 3 cyl mode would save more fuel by being in 3 cyl more than it would cost in higher rpms.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

On a side note, I had a thought today that leans me toward a VW. My grandfather owns a meat processing plant. A small country one, but farmers overfeed many of the beef because they have a hard time selling a cow if the steaks aren't prime. The point? I have access to a rather large supply of free animal fat. The downside to it is that I would have to come up with a way to melt it down (our lard kettle broke and a new one is 5 grand). It seems like the easiest solution to the various biodiesel issues is a 50/50 mix of fossil diesel and bio, so I could almost cut an already pretty cheap fuel bill in half. Not sure if I want the trouble, but it's definitely an option.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

klr 650 - '08 kawasaki klr 650

The van - '15 Dodge Grand caravan Avp
so i love the idea of power and hybrid technology we need more v6 hybrids
Old 04-27-2010, 03:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by talldudenumber5 View Post
so i love the idea of power and hybrid technology we need more v6 hybrids
Not enough people think that way, otherwise the Accord would've sold better.

I think they should've used that powertrain in the Acura TL or the TSX and emphasized the "green luxury-sport" angle. I just don't think "luxury" or "sport" when I think Accord (they are fine family sedans, though!) And the cost-benefit comparisons with the 4-cyl Accord didn't make it look good, either.

If you like the idea of a V6-hybrid, you should really pay more attention to diesels. The VW diesels apparently have a nice blend of grunt and fuel economy...and the BMW 3-series diesel is just smokin'. Some of the 4-cyl turbodiesels BMW sells in Europe are amazing. (See especially the 123d coupe and the 320d sedan.)
Old 03-30-2011, 11:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Update:

My wife and I bought a 30k mile 2007 Accord Hybrid. It rocks!

Then the IMA light went on.

My heart started beating again when I read that it is fairly common and usually signifies temperature extremes (in this case cold), unless the check engine light comes on too and/or it stays on. Neither is the case.

I have read of some people having trouble achieving the EPA #s for FE. My only guess is that they are leadfoots for whom a normal car's inefficiencies mask their driving inefficiencies. That or they had a problem with their car that we don't. Floor it and you are glad it is an auto because shifting fast enough would be a challenge (0-60 in 6.7 in some tests) in a manual. Even when driving like this the readout said 22 mpg. Or, cruise and feather-footing it can get you 39 mpg at 65 mph. The only downside is that FE is nothing impressive until it warms up, so we'll have to mod it to speed that up. Grill block and/or an oil heater on a timer are in the future, but probably not until next winter. Thoughts?

Reply  Post New Thread