Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2021, 01:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Time to build a small under tray for Gramps?

A couple of weeks ago I replaced clips 4-6 on Mom's car because it was dragging.
My brain insisted that I only needed to buy the plastic fastener that Toyota specified, but my Spider Sense told me to buy a variety pack!
I couldn't figure out why the 2-piece fasteners that were supposed to fit didn't fit, but some random GM 1-piece fasteners did, so now Mom's car is as good as new again!

At least in that one specific area!

All of a sudden I had the loud sound of plastic flapping from under my engine as I drove on the highway to see my client today!

I was pretty sure what the problem was when I pulled over and sure enough, as lifted SUVs and pickups flew past at 80 as I poked my head under my car I saw this beauty!

I figured that I knew exactly how to fix it as I called my client's mom, who had just sent a text informing me they had coronavirus at their house, so I drove slowly home, and found the rest of the fasteners.

As far as I can tell, I am missing all of the indicated fasteners, but one does not simply pop in replacement fasteners, the plastic around the hole is missing!

Seven people on Imgur told me to remove the aerodynamic aid, but you know better than that!

I cannot find them now, but when I was trying to figure out what I was doing wrong with Mom's car I found several people saying that Toyota knew what they were doing when they put that flimsy and fragile piece of plastic there, replace it properly!

One of those Imgur comments has 12 points, so it seems that people agree.

The first Google result was for a completely different car. His splash shield was supposed to be 1 piece, but it ripped in half, so he stitched the halves together with zip ties.

Some guy on Imgur says that he doesn't think that I have the skill to do that right.

Two people told me to buy a new car.

This is the new car! I needed to replace the last one because the ATF was low!

Right. Someone suggested removing it until I can replace it.

That is the simplest solution.

Huh.

I still think that I will find the rest of the rolled plastic that I used for my air dam, or if I can't, finally open up the 24x48 sheet of ABS that I bought years ago, trim it, and melt the 3 pieces together. Maybe that will not hold forever, but hopefully the fasteners will keep everything in place until Half-Life 3 is released.

What do you guys think?

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-11-2021, 01:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts

The lip that underlaps the front bumper is key.

Fender washers for the holes

Old 11-11-2021, 09:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,104 Times in 974 Posts
And if fender washers won't be big enough, over in the framing section are Simpson Strong ties brackets that will
Old 11-11-2021, 11:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Aerospyder - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Team Toyota
90 day: 41.98 mpg (US)

Simme - '83 IFA Simson Suhl S51
Motorcycle
90 day: 76.59 mpg (US)
I've replaced quite a few plastic clips with stainless steel M 6 bolts, nuts and washers.
Holds up at topspeed, doesn't rust and is easy enough to work on.
Old 11-12-2021, 01:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I've thought about using nuts, bolts and washers in place of plastic clips, but I can't reach the other side of the undertray to install them.
Old 11-12-2021, 10:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts

I needed to wake up and fix it to drive to my appointment at the VA.

Someone said they tapped the holes for the plastic fasteners to receive small bolts, but these held for 17 years, so I will just repair and reinstall.

Someone on Imgur said "Just take it in the dealer and have them replace it, or buy one and replace it yourself, it's pretty easy."

The friendly neighborhood dealership would charge $275.60. The best price that Google Shopping showed me was $196.

Amazon will ship a set for $33.50, but as someone on Imgur wrote: "Skid plates aren't worth skimping, I'd get a new OEM one. They protect your vitals, if whatever hit that plate hit what it was protecting your car would out of commission."

Toyota actually calls it a radiator splash guard, so I am sure that it protects the radiator from rocks.

Remember what happened to my Civic when the radiator went out?!