Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2009, 10:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Tire pressures

I am in discussion with others on forums and in real life using increased tire pressures.
I am trying to find sources instead of my own experience with increased pressures.

Note looking for any recommendation from just a few PSI above Placard, to Pressures beyond Max Sidewall.

Its so hard finding information and experiments.
So anything stating the safety of increased tire pressures ie Traction, and increased tire tread life.

Thanks in advance guys.
*Long time Lurker*

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-24-2009, 10:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Read the numbers on the tires and use them.

Allie Moore and I have a combined carbon footprint much smaller than that of one average American...
Old 09-24-2009, 11:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Kurz - Welcome

You'll find lots of opinions on this topic, but very little actual evidence, beyond what manufacturers say/write, and what "tire engineers" will tell you. You'll find information which tells you that tires will experience a blow out if you run them over the max sidewall pressure, and you'll find other information that you'll experience increased tread life and lower rolling resistance by over inflating your tires. You'll find information that tire manufacturers intentionally under rate the max inflation pressure of their tires to prevent this or that, and you'll certainly find information to the contrary, or stating that the max pressure is just too high, regardless of what the pressure listed actually is.

If you're here looking for opinions, that's what you're in for - if you want facts and evidence, you'll most likely have to conduct your own testing, and see for yourself before making a decision. I'm afraid it would be VERY difficult to consider a decision based on others' opinions "informed" in this case.

In my own experience, I've run as much as 20 PSI above max inflation pressure listed on the sidewall. In all cases, I've gotten better mileage, and longer coasts, but haven't kept hard data on either, so I consider this "within range of error".

I tend to keep them high so I don't have to play with them as often - that way, I don't get a soft tire ever, because when I think about it, they've gone from 50 PSI down to maybe 44 PSI, so they're still either at the sidewall max or even still above it.

50 PSI seems to be the magic number for me, YMMV!

Old 09-24-2009, 11:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
This is probably the best article to share with others. It was written by a police academy instructor and tells why running max sidewall is a good thing.

Driving Under Pressure (full article) - CleanMPG Forums
Old 09-25-2009, 07:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
This is probably the best article to share with others. It was written by a police academy instructor and tells why running max sidewall is a good thing.

Driving Under Pressure (full article) - CleanMPG Forums
Btw why did the original site where that article was hosted take it down?

Last edited by Kurz; 09-26-2009 at 09:55 AM..
Old 09-25-2009, 12:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards;
Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems;
Controls and Displays

When working on TPMS standards, the NHTSA decided not to have over-inflation monitored. This is what they said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHTSA
we are not aware of vehicle safety data reporting over-inflated tires as a significant safety hazard. In addition, available information does not suggest that over-inflation has the same safety implications as under-inflation, which causes heat buildup in a tire, potentially leading to permanent tire damage and sudden failure.
If over-inflation is not a safety concern for people looking over the shoulder of the average Joe, it certainly is not a safety concern for me.

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...
The Following User Says Thank You to tasdrouille For This Useful Post:
Christ (09-25-2009)
Old 09-25-2009, 12:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Chug - '96 Volkswagon Polo CL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.42 mpg (US)

L'Autre - '03 Renault Megane Sport Tourer Expression
Diesel
90 day: 45.02 mpg (US)
After having a tyre blow out at 70 when running fresh tyres@30psi - i'm conservative with my pressures, cos it was a bit of a brown knot tightner!!

I personally run 95% of max sidewall till i'm comfortable with the tyres then go to max of 50psi COMPLETELY PERSONAL CHOICE - NO DATA

twitter.com/bertchalmers
Old 09-25-2009, 02:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

No need to beat this horse any further. Go here and read a lot of posts regarding this:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ires-2582.html

And here is a thread where I recently posted my tread depth measurements:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ear-10265.html
Old 09-27-2009, 08:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks a lot guys.

Reply  Post New Thread