Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2013, 05:30 AM   #31 (permalink)
EcoModding Alien Observer

highcountryexplorer - '86 Nissan 720 KC 4x4 ST with fiberglass cap
90 day: 21.78 mpg (US)

Elroy - '03 Ford Focus ZX3 w/Zetec DOHC engine
90 day: 32.89 mpg (US)
Your camber on the right side is off quite a bit....I'd rotate the tires in a x pattern 1x per year? Shouldn't affect mpg too much though....

With a FWD car...the front tires carry most of the weight...do most of the work....cause most of the drag?

Buy some string and set your front toe to zero 1x per year?

Forty-six percent of Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years. GALLUP POLL
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-28-2013, 10:00 AM   #32 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galane View Post
You got a shop to do the alignment the way you desired, AND to center it? Most places I've taken cars to for alignment just get it "within specified range" even if that range goes some to either side of zero and they have one side positive and one side negative.

If alignment techs put in the effort to get it RIGHT the first time they would have far fewer come backs for poor handling.

Another problem is shops that will do an adjustment even when worn parts make it impossible to get it accurate or for the adjustment to stay. The shop you took yours to shouldn't have done a thing to the rear alignment until you got the worn parts replaced or had them replace them.
I see your point about the worn parts on the rear, but take into account how my car presents itself to them. It is significantly modified and quite old though fairly well maintained. The tech had to come get me to start the car because he accidentally hit my injector kill switch and could not figure out what was wrong. My car is weird. When they returned it to me they told me about worn bushings and a worn control arm in the rear but said its $200 just for the part. he said it with a tone assuming I would not want that done, but he suggested I could do it myself. I think they just decided to give me exactly what I wanted and only that, telling me about other issues. They read me correctly. That's part of why I go back. Car feels good. Coasts nicely, though I can't be sure that's not just confirmation bias or a tail wind! The needed replacements go onto my list.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Reply  Post New Thread