Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2013, 10:21 AM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

minispeed-Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 82.15 mpg (US)

MDX - '01 Acura MDX Touring
90 day: 22.29 mpg (US)

the wife's car - '13 Toyota Prius Plus
90 day: 45.99 mpg (US)

leaf-one - '15 Nissan Leaf SV
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaber View Post
If car companies don't care about honoring their past, why do they create spiritual successors to their famous cars? It is important. You might not care, but there are those that do. And for people like me it's a shame to see marketing departments soil a name that represents a significant part of the companies history. Challenger, Camaro, Mustang, etc. These are all cars that stick to what the name represents. They have a loyal following of people that care about what those names mean.

Honda CRZ and Honda NSX are examples of progression in a car. In the 1990's the NSX was advanced with an aluminum body, variable valve timing, and handling unlike any production car at that time. The new NSX is going after the same thing. Technology that hasn't been seen before in a super car that is made to be daily driven. The CRZ is much different from the CRX, but anyone can see how Honda tried to recreate a CRX for modern times, with efficiency and fun in mind. They chose not to use the CRX name, but their intentions are clear.

What is not progression is taking a car Toyota intended to be a spiritual successor the the AE86, adding a couple doors and new power train. Why even call it an 86 or FR-S? When you make those changes it's a different car. I'm not saying that it would be a bad car, I'm questioning why it needs the 86 name. Call it a new name. If names don't mean anything, why use something that represents the past? If it's suppose to be progression, why not find a new name to represent the change?

I'm not going to guess how old you are, but trust me when I say that things from your past represent a lot of things. You'll continue to appreciate the movies, music, cars, and things you had when you were young as you get older. To the younger generation it seems silly, but only you know what it represents. It would be like if Metallica started selling rap albums instead of rock. Names and history have meaning, and it isn't always appropriate to change things around.
I agree with a lot of what you said. If you read about the CRZ Honda says they considered CRX but didn't feel it was appropriate. What I read between the lines is that they were remaking the CRX HF and didn't want to call it a CRX as it might alliente/disappoint those who want/expect a CRX SI. However the AE86 isn't really a name from the past. It's a chasis code. The car was a corolla, and it shared it's name and it's similar design with a four door sedan. Toyota hasn't put the scion FR-S on the streets of north america to get people from the past who grew up with corolla sports cars. Toyota/Subaru has even said that the Subaru is given options like nav and leather because they want the older more premium buyer and toyota wants the younger demographic. The AE86 is known by that name, and popular and in demand because of games like Grand Turismo and the drifting crowd. I think the majority of the people who are fond of the AE86 are like me, they were not old enough to drive when the car was for sale new. The people toyota wants to, and are selling the car to now are young. They probably played some video games with AE86s, and may not have ever known anyone who actually owned one. But as all car makers know with young buyers they almost always eventually gorw up, have kids and want a back seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I certainly would not buy a Prius that had a higher Cd than the previous model. It is right that form should follow function.
But the GenIII had a higher CdA than the GenII even with a lower Cd. But if you look at what mercedes has done with the CLA you can no longer get away with the argument that if you want a low Cd it has to look that way. I have faith that the toyota engineers will figure out how to have the genIV have a lower or equal Cd and have a more traditional shape.

Personally though I think that shape is beautiful as I've boght both a genII and genIII and the genII was bought before I would even consider myself an ecomodder.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread