Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2011, 09:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Burning oil to move air.

ausiasmobil - '06 Seat Leon 1.9 TDI Reference
90 day: 40.22 mpg (US)

EcoTxec - '99 Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI 110 cv Laurin & Klement
90 day: 52.85 mpg (US)
Toyota Prius from 6.7 mi/$ to 26.1 mi/$, spanish ecotunners results

There are many ecomods available in spain. Plug-in and LifePO4 conversion, LPG fuel and termodynamics engine improvements. 3.1 €/100 km running cost are possible with 6500 € modification (6.84 €/100km if standard) that i will explain more detailled later.

spanish fuel prices (Gasolina is Petrol, Gasóleo is Diesel from oil)
Ministerio de Industria, Turismo y Comercio - Precios Carburantes
The only way to know prices of GNC, GNL or GLP is going directly to one gas station (Map of stations members of Asociación Española de Operadores de Gases Licuados de Petróleo), half price per energy unit is a good aproximation.

95 octane: 1.35 €/L, 5.11$ gal. us
98 octane: 1.48 €/L, 5.6$/g
diesel: 1.27€/L, 4.8 $/g
premium: 1.33€/L, 5.03 $/g
LPG: 0.7 €/kg
CNG/LNG: 0.49€/kg

If you think this is expensive you must to know that spain have cheap prices compared with rest of Europe where they pay +70% more (european cheapest prices excluding Andorra, Luxembourg, Livigno, Ceuta, Melilla and NO TAX or VAT exceptions) .

+8%(summer) to +16%(winter) mpg increase (spanish climate is not extreme)
Automatic translation of www.rescatandoenergia.es
Results of Automatic and progressive Ecoflaps Temperature controlled, thermal efficiency enhancer

upgraded Enginer PHEV kit Lexus, Honda Toyota, installed 4000 €, 40 km autonomy EV, first 65 km urban 2.5L/100km or 94 us mpg (suposed 25 km at 6.5 L/100km or 36 us mpg):
ConvierteTuHibrido.com
Kit conversin PHEV Enginer PLUS 5KW 5000 ciclos (con BMS Box), ConvierteTuHibrido
But if you want more range you can add 288Wh capacity LifeYPO4 battery adding 104€, EV range extended to 250 km (155 mi) only 9000€!, you will run 1.75€/100km (or 3.82 €/100 mi) or 26 mi/$ running only electric mode will last enough to a Taxi Driver day, maybe.
In USA you will find original Engineer PHEV (spanish upgraded version seems better)
Enginer | Prius Plugin PHEV Conversion Kit with Lithium-Ion | Hybrid
Other Enginer PHEV 4 kWh spanish installers (not 5 kWh/5000 cycles version available):
- Bcn Hybrids - Convertimos tu híbrido en un coche más eléctrico
- ZEVNA: Productos

But, what if you need a large range enough going one city to another?, i ex. between LPG stations, 2500€ LPG system (petrol or LPG selectable with two independent tanks):

- Automated translation of Ferrosite ya transforma los Toyota Prius a GLP
- LPG conversion experts (40-50% money savings, 67-100% more milles per money):
--- www.ferrosite.net
---English translation of iRCONGAS Transforma tu coche a Gas GLP y ahorra 50% combustible

A very extensive list of Cars/Engines succesful and legally converted, since 2011 only Euro2 or above petrol engines are allowed to convert to LPG in Spain (regulated European laws on LPG). if not listed there is no problem on doing conversions if your car has an ICE burning petrol 95 or 98 if: atmospheric, turbo, supercharger/compresor, otto, atkinson, any number of cylinders... I will appreciate if anyone tries converting a Miller engine (atkinson and turbo separately already converted), a TFSI (supercharged + turbo), or any multistage, biturbo ... If you read linked pdf R115 you will find big blocks american cars (It's comomn tu convert v8 on viper sr-10, escalade, F150, hummer, corvette, etc.).
Vehicle Homologated conversions by Spanish Government
http://www.ircongas.com/resource/Lis...O_25082010.pdf

Find GLP station in Spain: Mapa

- What is LPG? LPG
Alternative Fuel Vehicles
Alternative Fuels and Advanced Vehicles Data Center: Alternative Fueling Station Locator
LPG is a variable mix of propane and butane according to country, season, climate, etc.

Some nice succes histories
- AUTOSPORT CAR-GAS
Toyota Prius Taxi de Barcelona a GLP | Facebook
Autosport Car-Gas:Taller de mecánica, GLP y GNC - Wall | Facebook

Some spanish Forum of Prius owners if you want to ask them
Mi Toyota Prius - Índice de subforos

Attached you will find a table of fuel cost comparison for a combination of phev, lpg, etc. in urban use, as taxi. Bcn taxi means a real taxi driven in BCN without too much care on hypermilling. In USA you have better petrol and LPG prices, better Enginer PHEV kit prices (and also you can improve the kit), LPG conversion will be a must to thing if you owned PLug-in Prius, but it's cheaper to do yourself conversion.
In spain better combination for urban use is hypermilling driving style + lpg conversion and when you drive 500.000 km you saved enough money to buy another prius... I'm wondering how much km could be done without changing batteries or having any mechanical problem (I noticed about 250.000 milles without problems but how much could be done?).

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FuelCostsTaxiComparison.png
Views:	44
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	9562  

Sold:

Last edited by ausias; 10-15-2011 at 11:41 PM.. Reason: title acuracy on topic and more info added, explanations and calculations
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ausias For This Useful Post:
Cd (10-16-2011), Rokeby (10-14-2011), WD40 (10-14-2011)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-14-2011, 06:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoMod Proof of Concept

WD-40's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
90 day: 56.04 mpg (US)

WD-40's Mirage - '15 Mitsubushi Mirage ES
Mitsubishi
90 day: 46.05 mpg (US)

WD-40's Sonata Hybrid - '17 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Limited
WOW 46 views and no comments..
I followed the link to a great site of eco mods to auto rad blocks, some great ideas for those that can't think outside of the box.
I hope they expand to other cars or custom sized orders.
thanks for the link
ausias (10-16-2011)
Old 10-15-2011, 09:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

05 DMax - '05 Chevrolet 2500HD
90 day: 18.48 mpg (US)
I think some of us got lost in all the links

Great business idea. When I finish the brick I hope to sell some parts to other companies that use these gas hogs. It is the same with the 18 wheelers, bigger payback and more marketable.

Excellent mileage. Keep it up and tell us more.

I can't understand why my MPG's are so low..........
21,000lb, 41' Toy Haulers are rough on FE!
The Following User Says Thank You to JasonG For This Useful Post:
ausias (10-16-2011)
Old 10-15-2011, 11:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Burning oil to move air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonG View Post
I think some of us got lost in all the links

Great business idea. When I finish the brick I hope to sell some parts to other companies that use these gas hogs. It is the same with the 18 wheelers, bigger payback and more marketable.

Excellent mileage. Keep it up and tell us more.
I think I got lost on your asnwer
What brick? What are gas hogs? What is a 18 wheeler?

Sold:

Old 10-16-2011, 08:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

05 DMax - '05 Chevrolet 2500HD
90 day: 18.48 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausias View Post
I think I got lost on your asnwer
What brick? What are gas hogs? What is a 18 wheeler?
Sorry, USA to Euro translation:

Brick= A vehicle with the aerodynamics of a brick, box, block. Also the nickname of the van I drive for work.

Gas hogs= A vehicles the eats a lot of fuel similar to a hog/pig eating. Very low MPG.

18 wheeler= a tractor trailer truck, so named due to having 18 wheels. Also known as a class 8 truck or a semi-trailer. You may not have them over there.

I can't understand why my MPG's are so low..........
21,000lb, 41' Toy Haulers are rough on FE!
The Following User Says Thank You to JasonG For This Useful Post:
ausias (10-16-2011)
Old 10-16-2011, 07:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Burning oil to move air.

Quote:
Sorry, USA to Euro translation:

Brick= A vehicle with the aerodynamics of a brick, box, block. Also the nickname of the van I drive for work.
I think my car is a brick with cd=0.325, and my vans of cd = 0.35-0.365 a superbrick, but USA brick its some times a Euro Brick

Quote:
Gas hogs= A vehicles the eats a lot of fuel similar to a hog/pig eating. Very low MPG.
Very low MPG = 1 / (Very high fuel consumtion)

Quote:
18 wheeler= a tractor trailer truck, so named due to having 18 wheels. Also known as a class 8 truck or a semi-trailer. You may not have them over there.
Here, I think 40Tm trucks (26 Tm of Load if Aluminium semitrailer) have 10 or 12 wheels (there are with more wheels, also). Wheight and length lmitations maybe are different, i remember that freighliner long tractor should use a shorter semitrailer in spain. Typical truck here is like this 7.2-8.7 mpg diesel.
MB has a record with an aActros Truck of 12 mpg (19.44 L/100km@80km/h) El Mercedes Actros logra un consumo de 20 litros a los 100 km

I don't know how much DIY aeromods or thermal improvements could be done on European Trucks without any law or regulation infringement (length, body tuning, rear end mega vacuum cleaner anti aerodynamic, ...), we have High speed trains operating from 300 to 350 km/h with cd=0.32, bigger improvements will need some law changes and homologations (European comission is working on it, but step by step )

Sold:

Reply  Post New Thread