Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Alternative Transportation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2008, 06:30 PM   #21 (permalink)
Awesomeness personified

Harold - '94 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 54.51 mpg (US)

Margot - '08 Surly Big Dummy
Send a message via AIM to AndrewJ
nice, my old singlespeed was 46x16. So that puts you in the 75 gear inches neighborhood, that's plenty challenging for the climbs. There were only a few big hills that I couldn't climb (more like didn't want to climb) with my old bike, but it'll make you stronger in a hurry. You never really appreciate the "pull up on the pedal(s)" argument for clip-ins until you're grinding up a hill at 20rpm on a singlespeed or fixie. The ability to pull up makes all the difference.

That and making sure your handlebars and brake levers are (very) tight. You need them to be stable so's you can get every last bit of leverage out of them for climbing.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-10-2008, 10:51 PM   #22 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
It really too involved to just say go ride. It depends on a ton of different variable.

If the team does not a training plan or coach to help you set up a training season here are a couple of great books for those who are self coached.

Hit the library and look for "The Cyclist's Training Bible" by Joe Friel it a pretty universal approach to setting up a training plan and season.

Also "Performance Cycling" by David Morris. This is more against the grain of what is considered the normal way to train but if your body responds to it well you will really fly.

Remember that the season is long and you don't want to be flying in February. Keep the intensity down to once a week until it warms up enough to start ramping it up.

Just like Eco Driving instrumentation is essential. Not to start a big debate but Heart rate is pretty useless IMO. If you're going to be serious about racing and like it invest in some kind of power meter. Some schools have power taps that they trade around. Train with a plan and have fun.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:57 PM   #23 (permalink)
Awesomeness personified

Harold - '94 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 54.51 mpg (US)

Margot - '08 Surly Big Dummy
Send a message via AIM to AndrewJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
It really too involved to just say go ride. instrumentation is essential. If you're going to be serious about racing and like it invest in some kind of power meter. Train with a plan and have fun.
That's why I never got into racing. It just never sounded like much fun getting all worked up about heartrates, watts, training regimens. If I were doing all that I really don't think I'd want to ride, it just wouldn't be fun for me anymore.

But hey, I know plenty of folks who are into racing, and they all seem to love it. To each his own right?

Old 01-11-2008, 08:16 AM   #24 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
I miss read the OP I though you were looking for a plan not tips. Sorry to be a buzz kill. Winter is for recovery mentally and physically and for setting goals and planning the next season. Take a look at those books and see if you can come up with goals and a plan for next season. Try not to lose you fitness. You don't have to ride the bike everyday try anything to get some exercise: Running, X-country skiing, basketball, soccer or even the weight room twice a week to build strength not bulk. Try to keep the conditioning around 80% until it warms up enough to ride everyday and then you can top it off with the hard stuff. Andrews right it's not for everyone and you have to be a OCD to really enjoy it but it can be a blast.

Reply  Post New Thread