Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2008, 07:34 PM   #91 (permalink)
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezler View Post
Wait, now you're planning with commercialization in mind?
No, I have no intentions of commercializing. If a lot of people like, and are willing to pay up front for the tooling costs, I'd consider making a mold off of my completed project for limited fiberglass production slightly better than "one-off" quality. But tooling is no cheap/quick endeavor - and when I do things right - I make sure they're done right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezler View Post
Man, its like every change you make opens up a whole new can of worms. Now that the engine bay is adjusted, do you re-run all the rear mods to double check their effect? The number of simulations is growing exponentially. hehe.

Moar pretty pictures!
Ha! So I'm still processing baseline stuff I'm having problems recreating earlier tail end results... So I took out the ground effect bits and am giving it another hi-res go. That's been going for nearly 4 hours with 45 minutes to go If those results are good, I'm moving forward and will add the 18.5 degree Kamm. The downtime is good though - it gives me time to read the new aerobooks (and I'm taking notes for the more juicy bits )

The crazy thing is, there's yet another variable I've been dreading to add.... Which is making this whole thing time dependent (which in reality, it is). That's for another time.

More pictures soon

Just for fun, here's a nice picture showing some very subtle aero features on a fairly good base.... More than adequate radii, bob tailed rear, slight upkick spoiler on the upper trailing edge hint of rear tire deflector, flush windscreen/hood and probably one helluva blind spot due to the stylistic side/rear glass

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-21-2008, 09:32 PM   #92 (permalink)
MechE

So I removed the mirror image ground and the hood is back to "normal" - it's reasonable to the testing I've already done.

But the tail end is still different...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	refinedengine.JPG
Views:	722
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	2195   Click image for larger version

Name:	wavebase.JPG
Views:	711
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	2196   Click image for larger version

Name:	baseline.JPG
Views:	961
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	2197  
Old 11-22-2008, 01:11 PM   #93 (permalink)
MechE

Repeated yesterday's runs without the ground simulator.....

Front end looks correct, rear end still different than when I didn't have the internals. BUT, there's a hint of the swirl in there, so I still have a little confidence.

Hopefully, I'll get to some kardboard kamm testing today
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	18.5velocity.JPG
Views:	706
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	2208   Click image for larger version

Name:	18.5rearvel.JPG
Views:	723
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	2210  
Old 11-22-2008, 02:54 PM   #94 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
[...]If a lot of people like, and are willing to pay up front for the tooling costs, I'd consider making a mold off of my completed project for limited fiberglass production slightly better than "one-off" quality. But tooling is no cheap/quick endeavor - and when I do things right - I make sure they're done right
Roughly how much are we talking about? You can put me on the list. Maybe posting a link in the fuel economy forum over at TDIclub.com would get some more interested. Having seen some of your prior work I have no doubt it'll be done right.

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...
Old 11-22-2008, 03:30 PM   #95 (permalink)
MechE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasdrouille View Post
Roughly how much are we talking about? You can put me on the list. Maybe posting a link in the fuel economy forum over at TDIclub.com would get some more interested. Having seen some of your prior work I have no doubt it'll be done right.
I'll have to look into it... I'm hesitant to post any numbers as of yet until I get some documentation and a final thing working I'd appreciate it if you didn't cross link just yet (if they find by themselves, that's cool) - I don't want anymore hype than already exists

As a reference, last year's HPV had a plug and tooling cost around $1500, but that included a lot of foam but didn't include a few donated supplies. This thing isn't as big as that vehicle, but there's a few thing I'd do differently to ensure quality.

If I were to do it....
* It would be fiberglass - at least two layers of an undecided weight/weave
* It would have a few light (foam?) stiffeners
* It would have a few hard (aluminum or wood) mounting components laid up inside
*It would be vacuum bagged - because I can and it reduces weight and increases finish/quality
* I would target a weight under 10 lbs
* It would be made for kit purposes - you get a glass shell, that's it. No window cutout, nothing. You'd need to come up with a mounting scheme (copying me or otherwise). MAYBE I'd pigment the resin white or black.

The materials cost alone aren't so bad.... Probably under $100 if certain items are bought at bulk rates. Shipping would suck.

But again, this is all speculation - I need working prototype first to document any gains... That means, it's installed - tested with what I have available.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:27 PM   #96 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
solver

I no longer need to drop acid after viewing your images.Thanks!
Old 11-22-2008, 09:22 PM   #97 (permalink)
EV OR DIESEL

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Send a message via AIM to dremd
Wow! awesome thread; I wish I could add some expertise.

Subscribed:

I MAY have a SODIMM DDR1 stick at my parents house that I would love to donate, I will definitely look when I'm there on Thanksgiving. I'm thinking it is 512 though . . . .
Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon
Old 11-23-2008, 11:51 AM   #98 (permalink)
Aero Addict

TDI Jetta - '99 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
Hey, could you please run a quick test of the previous bodystyle Jetta? As seen in this photo of someone else's car:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3047/...0fd74553_b.jpg
Old 11-23-2008, 12:03 PM   #99 (permalink)
Aero Addict

TDI Jetta - '99 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
Maybe this one would be easier to extract from it's background:
http://www.dragtimes.com/images/6743...agen-Jetta.jpg
Old 11-23-2008, 06:57 PM   #100 (permalink)
MechE

Sayyad, while I'd love to... I'm slammed at the moment doing CFD for this personal project and another project project.

If you already have a model (2D) that I can import into Solidworks and basically hit go, I might be able to, depending on size/complexity... But, at this time, I really can't do one offs for a completely different project.