Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2008, 09:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
igo
Master EcoModder

Mini Box Truck - '05 Scion Xb
90 day: 32.87 mpg (US)

It FITs - '09 Honda Fit Sport
90 day: 36.2 mpg (US)

Impreza - '13 Subaru Impreza Sport
90 day: 30.92 mpg (US)
Trucking company cuts speed to 60mph

Slowing down saves fuel. It looks like some trucking companies are catching on.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

Schneider National cuts top speed to 60 mph

By DINESH RAMDE
AP Business Writer
Advertisement

MILWAUKEE (AP) -- One of the nation's largest trucking companies is capping its drivers' speeds at 60 mph, a move designed to save fuel and protect the environment.

Schneider National Inc. expects the change to save the company nearly 3.8 million gallons of diesel fuel a year. It also will reduce carbon dioxide emissions by more than 40,000 tons, according to the Green Bay-based company.

"Sixty miles per hour is our sweet spot," company spokeswoman Janet Bonkowski said. "In order to meet our responsibilities to our customers, our drivers and the environment, 60 is where it all came together."

The company already uses computer equipment on its 10,600 trucks that prevents drivers from going faster than 63 mph while on cruise control. By July 1, the equipment will be reset to limit the maximum speed to 60 mph, she said.

The 3 mph decrease would save 3.75 million gallons of diesel fuel per year, the company said. With the price of one gallon of diesel averaging $4.15, savings could exceed $15.5 million.

"It's not just about the money," Bonkowski said. "We're trying to do the right thing."

Schneider's announcement followed an industrywide call by the American Trucking Associations, an Arlington, Va.-based group that represents 37,000 companies. The group on Thursday called on Congress to enact a nationwide speed limit of 65 mph for all vehicles, including passenger cars, to save fuel and cut emissions of greenhouse gases.

One association member, Con-way Truckload, realized back in November it would have to combat mounting fuel costs by reining in its drivers. Last week the Joplin, Mo.-based company wrapped up an upgrade to its 2,700 trucks, reducing their maximum speed from 70 mph to 65 mph.

"It was really driven by the cost of fuel," vice president Bruce Stockton said. "We expect this will save us about 2.8 million gallons per year."

Dennis Damman, Schneider National's director of engineering, said the computerized controller limits the amount of fuel that gets to the engine. The controller can be set to prevent drivers from exceeding 60 mph on cruise control but they can override cruise control and go up to 63 mph manually to pass a slower vehicle.

The company offers drivers financial incentives to stay at 60 mph, Damman said.

A U.S. Environmental Protection Agency spokeswoman welcomed the news that trucking executives were looking for ways to drive more efficiently.

"We're always pleased when people are looking for ways to conserve fuel," EPA spokeswoman Cathy Milbourn said.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-09-2008, 11:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

CPT SLO - '93 GEO Metro plainjane
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

SilverHairBeauty - '01 Toyota Avalon XL
90 day: 24.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to metroschultz
yay they're finally listening

The P.O. has had our trucks set to 60 mph since 2005.
Same reason, saves fuel.
Walmart is ordering trailers with skirts on them to complement the aero of the trucks.
All in the name of fuel savings.
Go Team,
S.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.
Albert Einstein
Old 05-10-2008, 12:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Liberti

Thunderbird - '96 Ford Thunderbird
90 day: 27.75 mpg (US)
I bet the truck drivers will love that mandate. Around here, the truck speed limit is 55mph and I'm the only one going that speed.

Being tailgated by a truck is a very scary thing. Visions of Duel come to mind.

Quote:
"It's not just about the money," Bonkowski said. "We're trying to do the right thing."
I call BS. They are just trying to stay "socially responsible." Global warming is the new boogeyman and they are doing what's needed to stay out of the spotlight.

- LostCause
Old 05-11-2008, 11:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostCause View Post
I bet the truck drivers will love that mandate. Around here, the truck speed limit is 55mph and I'm the only one going that speed.

Being tailgated by a truck is a very scary thing. Visions of Duel come to mind.
That movie scared the crap out of me as a kid! Thank goodness I don't drive a Plymouth Valiant in the desert these days

Around the Midwest, truckers don't seem to get the fuel savings / speed tradeoff. They come barreling up and merge at the last minute to pass, or hit the brakes and ride my arse.

...and they get all bent out of shape if we follow too close.

RH77

_
_
Old 05-13-2008, 02:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Minded

Lunar Mist - '02 Toyota Tacoma SR5
90 day: 25.31 mpg (US)

Silver Streak - '08 Toyota Corolla S
90 day: 38.25 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to Chris D.
Schneider National has had a 60mph speed limit as long as I remember, their just looking for press..

I worked for Schneider for quite some time in the western corridor (I5-99) with my home OC in Fontana CA..

This is just publicity...
When I was there they did institute a bump and go technique
to avoid using the rookie Jake pull that just wastes fuel..

Anyone seen that movie where all the fuel powered vehicles took over?
Lots of AC/DC for the soundtrack and a semi with a green goblin as the ring leader..

Who made Who? something like that..

Old 05-13-2008, 02:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
Future EV Owner

Wannabe - '05 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 40.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris D. View Post
Schneider National has had a 60mph speed limit as long as I remember, their just looking for press..

I worked for Schneider for quite some time in the western corridor (I5-99) with my home OC in Fontana CA..

This is just publicity...
When I was there they did institute a bump and go technique
to avoid using the rookie Jake pull that just wastes fuel..

Anyone seen that movie where all the fuel powered vehicles took over?
Lots of AC/DC for the soundtrack and a semi with a green goblin as the ring leader..

Who made Who? something like that..

This is true. 15 years ago my uncle was complaining about how slow they had to go. Even back then they were monitoring their drivers' speed. It affected his pay.