Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2015, 03:15 PM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Revolation - the MK5 uses the same MK60 abs system as the MK5. I'm going to have to look in to the pick-up rings to see if they will be compatible, but it looks like I can rub the entire MK5 ESP system in the MK4 and have 100% functioning electronic power steering. The MK5 has extra signals and such but I don't necessarily have to output them just so long as it is functioning.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-03-2015, 01:12 AM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

All of the factory subframe mounting pieces have been cut out of the chassis. I started to cut out the mounts from the MK5 to use in the MK4 but the metal in that cassis is harder and broke all of the spot weld cutters that I had. I'll just make new ones all together.

Here is the chassis with all of these piece removed.

Mk4 balljoints vs. mk5 balljoints. Turns out, they just drop right in to the MK4 knuckles. oddly, I checked it out and the MK5 axles go right in to the splines of the MK5 knuckles too, meaning the lighter/stronger tube axles have potential in the MK4 chassis! It may be possible to do a complete MK5 knuckle swap. Maybe Passat aluminum knuckles and TTrs aluminum control arms will be future upgrades for this car.

Here is the aluminum subframe all lined up. I'll be welding in new mounts tomorrow.

Last edited by PremierSprinter; 06-03-2015 at 01:19 AM..
Old 06-03-2015, 02:07 AM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Mistress - '88 Bmw 320i Touring SE
Team m8
Last 3: 27.17 mpg (US)

Germany Beadle - '91 Mercedes 300td (estate, N/A)
90 day: 24.63 mpg (US)

The Bloodylingo - '05 Citroen Berlingo Multispace Desire
90 day: 39.77 mpg (US)

Shanner Scaab - '03 Saab 9-5 estate Vector
90 day: 26.19 mpg (US)

Clio 182 - '05 Renault Clio RS 182 182
90 day: 31.73 mpg (US)
Wow, thats some project!

Hats off to you for the work.

I'll maybe pesterbuou for some info on the mods you're doing as i have a tdi I bought yesterday.

US MPG for my Renault Clio 182

---------------------------------------------------
The Following User Says Thank You to 320touring For This Useful Post:
PremierSprinter (06-03-2015)
Old 06-03-2015, 07:55 PM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320touring View Post
Wow, thats some project!

Hats off to you for the work.

I'll maybe pesterbuou for some info on the mods you're doing as i have a tdi I bought yesterday.
Thanks. There is a lot more to come. Please do ask if you have any questions about your TDI. I have been working on these things for a long time.

Quick update: The MK5 has six mounting points as opposed to the four on the MK4. I have the first set of mounts done and they are holding up the subframe quite well. All of my measurements are checking out and it looks pretty straight. I'm sure there will be some slight adjustments to make once it is done.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:04 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Mistress - '88 Bmw 320i Touring SE
Team m8
Last 3: 27.17 mpg (US)

Germany Beadle - '91 Mercedes 300td (estate, N/A)
90 day: 24.63 mpg (US)

The Bloodylingo - '05 Citroen Berlingo Multispace Desire
90 day: 39.77 mpg (US)

Shanner Scaab - '03 Saab 9-5 estate Vector
90 day: 26.19 mpg (US)

Clio 182 - '05 Renault Clio RS 182 182
90 day: 31.73 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PremierSprinter View Post
Thanks. There is a lot more to come. Please do ask if you have any questions about your TDI. I have been working on these things for a long time.
I'll fire up the questions on my thread as they come!

I'm aiming for a bit more power and as much economy as I can get..
on a budget!

US MPG for my Renault Clio 182

---------------------------------------------------
Old 06-03-2015, 09:29 PM   #26 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,527 Times in 2,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PremierSprinter View Post
3" downpipe, coiled with coolant lines for fast warm-up
Don't do that.
So you need something that is built out of stainless steel, to exchange heat between your exhaust and your coolant?
Exhaust to coolant heat exchangers already exist and they come in lots of different shapes and sizes.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post426826

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Possible uses for these diesel EGR coolers include:
Coolant warmed air intake heater
As an air to water after cooler for smaller turbo or supercharged gas or diesel engine.
Its intended use (as a coolant cooled EGR cooler) on some other kind of engine
As a exhaust powered coolant heater, for smaller engines.
And what ever else you imagination can come up with.

I have seen a few posts about using cooled EGR or more EGR and trying to find ways to try and reuse waste exhaust heat. Main problem with these ideas was the lack of cheap easy to get parts built for this kind of job.
Now we have the technology

Last edited by oil pan 4; 06-03-2015 at 09:36 PM..
Old 06-03-2015, 10:26 PM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Don't do that.
So you need something that is built out of stainless steel, to exchange heat between your exhaust and your coolant?
Exhaust to coolant heat exchangers already exist and they come in lots of different shapes and sizes.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post426826

The problem with using the EGR cooler to heat coolant as it is normally intended is that I'm programming out the EGR all together to avoid having to clean out the intake. This is crucial considering I'll be running a an after cooler inside of the intake manifold which would clog easily if I were going to keep the EGR. I don't think that I would be able to get enough exhaust flow anywhere else without somehow sacrificing flow… maybe if I ran the exhaust all the way to the back and had a 1" pipe break off at the dowpipe just to go through the EGR cooler and dump under the car. Unfortunately, I was planning 4motion and just a dumped down pipe for clearance. I figured the coil would be the best way to extract the heat but it is something I would reconsider if a better option comes up.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:26 AM   #28 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
I understand about the diesel EGR, it controls NOx emissions, but limits the life and efficiency of the engine. I have removed the EGR in every diesel I've owned. A coolant preheater is a good idea, but I suspect you will not get good performance from a simple coolant coil. I would explore real heat exchangers, I suspect there are some out there specifically for gas-liquid heat transfer in the proper size for your exhaust.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:21 AM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
I understand about the diesel EGR, it controls NOx emissions, but limits the life and efficiency of the engine. I have removed the EGR in every diesel I've owned. A coolant preheater is a good idea, but I suspect you will not get good performance from a simple coolant coil. I would explore real heat exchangers, I suspect there are some out there specifically for gas-liquid heat transfer in the proper size for your exhaust.
I'm going to have to weigh out all of the options. I could potentially build the down pipe from steel all the way up to the coiled section which would be v-banded aluminum with aluminum coils to help heat transfer.

On a side note, I figured out a way to use the aluminum spindles. The bodies of the mk5 shocks are 55mm while the mk4 shock bodies are only 50mm but the threads at the top are the same. By using MK5 front coilovers with mk4 bushings, I can physically mount them up, leaving the only challenge to be getting back a 5x100 bolt pattern. I'm sure that my machine shop could mill down and press the mk4 bearings into the mk5 bearing housings for me.

I am also playing with the idea of using a MK5 rear haldex/subframe set-up in order to use an aluminum golf R subframe.. because "F it". I'm going to cut out the floorboards of my MK5 parts car in the rear and keep them just in case.

I wound up having some emergency jobs come up at my shop which meant I didn't get to get much done on the Jetta but I am almost finished with all of the subframe mounts.
The Following User Says Thank You to PremierSprinter For This Useful Post:
deejaaa (06-06-2015)
Old 06-06-2015, 08:30 AM   #30 (permalink)
Not banned yet

Blue - '03 Chevy S-10, LS
i look forward to your post with anticipation.

Reply  Post New Thread