Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2008, 03:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
bbb3108

wheel skirts for 91 civic

OK, I finally have some numbers! (see my thread in introduction for history)

This does not represent a true average, basically I drove 85.1 miles, filled up 3.333 gallons, and got an MPG of 25.5325. I'm not (yet) into getting super quantitative about this, but I will continue to run an MPG calc every time I fill up. I think this is a fairly accurate number though, it makes sense with how often I have to fill up (if I drive to empty).

So, I'm also attaching two pictures of my car, and the start of my idea for the wheel skirts. The cut-out is really really rough, it doesnt even cover the whole wheel well. As you can see, my general idea is to make a frisbee type covering. Haven't figured out yet how to attach it in an easy, convenient manner that allows it to also be removed easily.

Regulars, feel free to tell me where a better place to post this stuff is. Maybe I should start a new thread in the aeromods folder?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0224081411-00.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	382   Click image for larger version

Name:	0224081411-01c.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	383   Click image for larger version

Name:	0224081420-00.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	384  
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-24-2008, 03:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Moved this thread over to the aero forum for you, looks like a good start,
Old 02-24-2008, 09:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Can you copy in some of the material from the thread in "Introductions"?
Sorry I'm being lazy - I know that a search would find it.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Civic - '00 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 37.05 mpg (US)
25.5 seems low for a 91 Civic. It should do 30 without trying, especially for a non-Si model. If you lived near me, I'd help you get it tuned up...no need for wheel skirts yet!

Does it have an engine swap?
Where does your temp gauge usually sit?
Does it idle rough?
Old 02-24-2008, 10:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
bbb3108

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucepick View Post
Can you copy in some of the material from the thread in "Introductions"?
Sorry I'm being lazy - I know that a search would find it.
Well to sum it up, I was inspired by AndrewJ's mods on his Civic. The first thing I am trying to accomplish is determine the MPG on my car and figure out how to add wheel skirts. Then I might add a front windbreaker (not sure what to call it - air dam?).
Old 02-24-2008, 10:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
bbb3108

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaworkshop View Post
25.5 seems low for a 91 Civic. It should do 30 without trying, especially for a non-Si model. If you lived near me, I'd help you get it tuned up...no need for wheel skirts yet!

Does it have an engine swap?
Where does your temp gauge usually sit?
Does it idle rough?
Actually yea I am sure the car could be tuned up. I bought it from my friend who had it in his family from his grandma. So I think it was basically single owner, except that my friend drove it for a few years. I bought it for $800 with ~150k miles on it. I'm now on 159,000 about. Probably should fix up the tires and stuff. But basically I am not looking to invest much money in fixing up this car - honestly it's kind of dangerous to drive in NJ, where I regularly almost get run over by SUVs. Not that I would buy an SUV - but at least a sturdier 4 cylinder.

I believe it is the original engine. The temp gauge usually sits a bit below halfway (but I really don't pay attention to it much). I wouldn't say it idles rough but its not smooth either - there are definite problems with the car, including suspension.

BTW, do you think it should get 30 city? I typically drive it 6 miles to work (round-trip), mostly on residential roads, not highways. Give me a few weeks to get more accurate MPG numbers.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
You should get better mileage, I found a very simaler civic for a friend of mine that was deeply abused, and we did a basic tune up on it and it gets low 40's and needs oil added at every fill up, my dad also got a simaler civic a month or so ago, he drives 2 miles to work and is getting high 30's with it still being bitterly cold outside.
It's really cheap to do a tune up, check/clean/replace the cap and rotor, check/clean the PCV valve, check/clean/replace the air filter, check the timing, change the spark plugs, check tires for uneven wear, get an alinment if needed.
Find out if the timing belt has been replaced, if it has not then replace it RIGHT NOW or you will be out $800, timing belt needs to be replaced every 100,000 but have been knowen to last longer, but 150,000 is really pushing it and braking your timing belt will make you cry.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Civic - '00 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 37.05 mpg (US)
So what we're saying is most people strive to get what your car should be getting with no modifications.
  • PCV should run you $5, or you can get a $4 can of Carb cleaner and clean the one you have.
  • 4 Stock Plugs will run you less than $10.
  • Bang out the air filter. - Free
  • Open the distributor cap and get the dust out of it. - Free
Its not a complete tune-up, but it should make a bigger difference than wheel skirts will in town.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
bbb3108

Thanks for all the advice! I will definitely do these things... good thing someone in my office knows all this stuff, you may think its elementary but I wouldn't know my spark plugs from the distributor cap

As for the timing belt, does a mechanic have to check it or will someone knowledgeable about cars be able to tell whether its been changed by looking or listening?
Old 02-25-2008, 12:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
The best way to find out what work has been done to a vehicle is to ask the last owner, I like to do this befor I buy a vehicle, but if you know the person, like you say you do, then I would simply give them a phone call.
I paid someone else to change my timing belt and it ended up costing me about $250, if you live in a larger city the price is going to be more of course, if you take it to a mecanic they might be able to tell you how new it looks but are most likely going to tell you that if you are unsure on if it has been replaced then you should need to do it, because basicly they are going to look at the rubber of the timing belt and inspect it for very small cracks and other signs of age.
If you want to learn how to do work on your car your self you can either download a shop manual, or spend $25 at an auto parts store, or find a used one at a book store or on Ebay, I tend to get frustrated with the downloaded manuals because they often are for non US modles of honda's and they don't tell you outright what country they are for, so some of their specs are slightly differnt.
If you know someone who is willing to help you out then you are doing good, spend some time with them just looking under the hood, and take notes! it of course helps if they are used to the type of vehicle you have, just like I have dificulty navigating my way around a Ford, I can do it but I tend to look dumb.

Reply  Post New Thread