Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now
 


Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2010, 03:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: california
Posts: 1,329
Thanks: 24
Thanked 160 Times in 106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
(dated February 28, 2009) :
These pictures are at least a year old. Some of the cars pictured haven't been in production for years now.
The Big Picture Blog Archive Unsold Cars Around the World
Quote:
February 28th, 2009
Unsold Cars Around the World

  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 02-04-2010, 03:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Troy, Pa.
Posts: 8,919

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1,369
Thanked 430 Times in 353 Posts
Why does it really matter how old the pictures are?

I'm sure some of the cars that are pictured in those images are somewhat more than a year old, which is the whole point. They're cars that were/are (as of the time of the images) unsold, and probably will remain that way until their market value is so low, they're recycled.

I fail to understand where the date of the images has any relevance?
__________________
"ʞɐǝɹɟ ɐ ǝɹ,noʎ uǝɥʍ 'ʇı ʇ,usı 'ʎlǝuol s,ʇı"

  Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:28 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: california
Posts: 1,329
Thanks: 24
Thanked 160 Times in 106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Why does it really matter how old the pictures are?
Because the information is no longer true. Look up the dealer supply of cars any of the manufacturers. Making this sound like its current information is disingenuous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
I fail to understand
Recognizing the problem is the first step to enlightenment.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Troy, Pa.
Posts: 8,919

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1,369
Thanked 430 Times in 353 Posts
That breeds the question of why it's no longer true. Is it because those vehicles eventually sold? (highly unlikely) or is it because they were "taken care of"? (more likely).

If it is indeed the latter, the information is still valid, as I believe the point of the information is to identify wasteful manufacturing, which still occurs.
__________________
"ʞɐǝɹɟ ɐ ǝɹ,noʎ uǝɥʍ 'ʇı ʇ,usı 'ʎlǝuol s,ʇı"

  Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: california
Posts: 1,329
Thanks: 24
Thanked 160 Times in 106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
That breeds the question of why it's no longer true. Is it because those vehicles eventually sold?
A little more research on your part would go a long way. Yes, they were ALL sold eventually and if you haven't been paying attention, demand for new cars has increased dramatically in the last year. There was a little something called 'cash for clunkers' between then and now. You might have heard of it? Most of europe and the US had similar programs.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:33 PM   #16 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Troy, Pa.
Posts: 8,919

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1,369
Thanked 430 Times in 353 Posts
And yet, there are still unsold cars sitting in car lots. Hm.

Some of which are over a year old. LOL.



But that's OK, cuz it don't matter once they're over a year old, right?
__________________
"ʞɐǝɹɟ ɐ ǝɹ,noʎ uǝɥʍ 'ʇı ʇ,usı 'ʎlǝuol s,ʇı"

  Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: california
Posts: 1,329
Thanks: 24
Thanked 160 Times in 106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
And yet, there are still unsold cars sitting in car lots.
This is a NOT TRUE but thanks for trying. Try doing your homework next time.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:37 PM   #18 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Troy, Pa.
Posts: 8,919

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1,369
Thanked 430 Times in 353 Posts
Really? It's not true? How do you explain the 2 lots local to me that have '07's in them with NEW stickers in the windows?

A little less condescension on your part would go a long way, as well, bud.

EDIT - Ok, one lot. The other one finally got Chrysler to pay for their cars after being shut down.
__________________
"ʞɐǝɹɟ ɐ ǝɹ,noʎ uǝɥʍ 'ʇı ʇ,usı 'ʎlǝuol s,ʇı"

  Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:31 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: california
Posts: 1,329
Thanks: 24
Thanked 160 Times in 106 Posts
How do you explain reality disagreeing with your point of view?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:17 PM   #20 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Troy, Pa.
Posts: 8,919

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1,369
Thanked 430 Times in 353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
A little more research on your part would go a long way. Yes, they were ALL sold eventually and if you haven't been paying attention, demand for new cars has increased dramatically in the last year. There was a little something called 'cash for clunkers' between then and now. You might have heard of it? Most of europe and the US had similar programs.
Since you added this in 3 posts later, I'll address it now.

This only slightly moves the question from whether or not they were sold to how wasteful the practice became.

Also, I'm well aware of the existence of the cash for clunkers program. The point of the site, and consequently, my POV of this post, is about how wasteful those cars had become. Thanks for supporting it.

To end the argument, you're absolutely correct, to a degree. The overproduction doesn't occur on that scale anymore, and it was a timed thing, that was due to whatever circumstances they put on it.

However, you're absolutely incorrect in saying that there are no older cars that still sit on lots, and that's simple fact. I'm sure there also aren't boats and docks filled with cars that are waiting for delivery. It doesn't change the fact that you were being condescending in your response to the thread.

__________________
"ʞɐǝɹɟ ɐ ǝɹ,noʎ uǝɥʍ 'ʇı ʇ,usı 'ʎlǝuol s,ʇı"


Last edited by Christ; 02-04-2010 at 06:24 PM..
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Christ For This Useful Post:
cfg83 (02-04-2010)
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article: Want cars to eat less? Put 'em on a diet MetroMPG General Efficiency Discussion 34 07-14-2013 02:38 AM
Project: Rebuilding an '01 Honda Insight as a nonhybrid Fabio Hybrids 158 01-12-2013 12:59 PM
Electric Cars Push Japan Engine Parts Makers to Crisis Mode tjts1 The Lounge 14 12-23-2012 01:47 PM
Big Surprise: Fuel efficient cars are holding their value better than other cars SVOboy EcoModder Blog Discussion 2 09-19-2008 09:52 AM
Article: the 10 cheapest cars in the world MetroMPG General Efficiency Discussion 0 03-06-2008 11:22 AM



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com