Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2015, 06:33 PM   #341 (permalink)
Changfa diesel + Suzuki

Centurion - '74 FIAT X1/9 Centurion Full Race DNA
Last 3: 143.5 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHornet View Post
CJ Congrats on your 1st place finish at GGP :-) You have done an awesome job with your Centurion.

GH
Thanks Green Hornet. You've been hibernating for awhile and am looking forward to your build

~CrazyJerry

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-21-2015, 06:37 PM   #342 (permalink)
Changfa diesel + Suzuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by razordave View Post
I've been watching this thread monthly or so, I'm so glad you finally have it where you want it. I want to see some numbers!
razordave,
These will be posted - still digging through all the notes. Had a bad spell a few weeks ago and am waaayyyyyy behind on everything....

Look at me go ->

~CrazyJerry
Old 01-26-2015, 04:43 AM   #343 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by changzuki View Post
Thanks Green Hornet. You've been hibernating for awhile and am looking forward to your build

~CrazyJerry
Yes I have been hibernating for a bit. Life has been a bit hectic lately but I am still slowly making changes and simplifying my build. It is still not as simple and straightforward as the Centurion but I hope the differences will be worth the added effort in the end.

Nice talking with you CJ Take care,

GH
Old 01-27-2015, 05:57 AM   #344 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Something most people do not know about the overdrive units on these Spitfires. Most people are only aware of the A type having a .82 or (22%) taller ratio but they also had the .78

J type = .8 (25%)

A type = .78 (28%)

So I am just curious as to why you did not go this route? The J type are much more abundant over here in North America as they were fitted to all of the Spit 1500 cars with overdrive. You can also find them on Volvo transmissions which came standard I believe. These .78 A types you probably would have to find over in Europe. So more work but possibly better efficiency as well. Food for thought if nothing else something to look into if you ever get the Centurion optimization bug again down the road.

GH
Old 01-28-2015, 07:01 PM   #345 (permalink)
Changfa diesel + Suzuki

Quote:
Something most people do not know about the overdrive units on these Spitfires. Most people are only aware of the A type having a .82 or (22%) taller ratio but they also had the .78

J type = .8 (25%)

A type = .78 (28%)

So I am just curious as to why you did not go this route? The J type are much more abundant over here in North America as they were fitted to all of the Spit 1500 cars with overdrive. You can also find them on Volvo transmissions which came standard I believe. These .78 A types you probably would have to find over in Europe. So more work but possibly better efficiency as well. Food for thought if nothing else something to look into if you ever get the Centurion optimization bug again down the road.

GH
Welcome back GreenHornet,
Considerations for using the J-Type overdrive came down to:
- Parts availability & Price -
Price was a big factor especially since I figured the D850 wouldn't be able to effectively drive the car in overdrive unless it was on some type of downhill. If this setup was going to fail, debt load needed to be low.
- Reviews -
There's plenty of internet discussions about the overdrives used in Spitfires. I probably read every one of them - twice. A major influence came by way of John Esposito (Quantum Mechanics). It may be hard to find a single source with so much experience in both repair and testing than him.
- The Legend -
Initially, a 5 speed conversion is what I wanted, but, wish in one hand and....
Even more tantalizing was the idea to mimic RQ Riley's original plan using the Spitfire option - with the modern twist of the 3.27 differential instead of the factory issue 4.11
It would be a great comparison to the original Centurion without deviating too much from the original plans. With any luck I can get some hard numbers to publish this summer, and, if for any reason the setup fails - at least another scenario would be covered.
Not sure I could ever bring myself to do it, but IF (as you suggest) the "optimization bug" ever hit this Centurion again - it would be completely spent in the aero department and the end result would likely not even resemble a Centurion... There would be no reversal... A period classic would be lost....
~CrazyJerry

Last edited by changzuki; 08-03-2018 at 10:47 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to changzuki For This Useful Post:
aerohead (02-09-2015)
Old 01-29-2015, 06:53 AM   #346 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ya the Ford type 9 5 speed would have been interesting but I think like you mentioned it would have ventured to far from the original plan set and compromised a classic. There are some things that are bolt ons that could help out with the weight factor but they are not cheap at all.

I wonder who is going to go grab that other Urba Centurion over by Grand Rapids? It would be cool to see another one on the roads. The thought has crossed my mind plenty of times now. I even have gone as far as getting rid of two cars in the driveway LOL :-) The longer it sits there the more I am wanting it. You should buy it and save me the trip you are closer than me lol :-)
Old 01-31-2015, 06:33 PM   #347 (permalink)
Changfa diesel + Suzuki

Quote:
I wonder who is going to go grab that other Urba Centurion over by Grand Rapids? It would be cool to see another one on the roads. The thought has crossed my mind plenty of times now. I even have gone as far as getting rid of two cars in the driveway LOL :-) The longer it sits there the more I am wanting it. You should buy it and save me the trip you are closer than me lol :-)
Of course I'd love to have that car and if it were local I think I could scrape up enough to purchase it. Getting it from Grand Rapids to Colton puts it out of my reach though.
~CrazyJerry

Last edited by changzuki; 02-07-2015 at 08:38 PM.. Reason: bored
Old 02-07-2015, 10:07 PM   #348 (permalink)
Changfa diesel + Suzuki

Posted the first few entries in the ecomodder fuel logs.
Test post to see if the signature log/pic follows

~CrazyJerry
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to changzuki For This Useful Post:
aerohead (02-09-2015), ME_Andy (02-07-2015), razordave (02-09-2015)
Old 02-08-2015, 06:41 AM   #349 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Chief - '06 Pontiac Grand Prix
90 day: 26.7 mpg (US)

SF1 - '12 Ford Fiesta S
90 day: 30.95 mpg (US)
Thanks for posting the fuel numbers.
Quote:
Lost fuel feed line and all fuel in moonshine jug.
and still got better than I get on a good day.
The Following User Says Thank You to nemo For This Useful Post:
changzuki (02-10-2015)
Old 02-09-2015, 04:23 PM   #350 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

It says "'74 FIAT X 1/9 Centurion". I don't think that's exactly what you mean it to say...

-soD

The Following User Says Thank You to some_other_dave For This Useful Post:
changzuki (02-11-2015)
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
urba centurion