Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2008, 12:51 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

No, capacitors discharge as 1/e^t, so after one time constant t, about 63% of the charge flows, in the second time constant 63% of the remainder, and so on out to infinity. Check any basic physics or electronics reference, for instance here: http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/capacit.htm

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-14-2008, 01:30 AM   #12 (permalink)
Old Retired R&D Dude

Little Red - '12 Toyota Prius c 2 Two
90 day: 57.82 mpg (US)

"Whitey" Bulger - '14 Toyota RAV4 LE
Ok James

So, if I had a 10,000 farad capacitor charged up to 9 Volts and I connected a 9 ohm resistor across it, I wouldn't get 1 Amp of current flow when I flipped the switch?
Of course the voltage would drop over time..

That's why I said "A Capacitor works almost exactly like rechargeable battery."

If someone could come up with a cheap 10,000 farad capacitor the size of
a AAA cell, then all our battery problems would be over..
It would be the ultimate rechargeable battery/cap..

Current ride: 2014 RAV4 LE AWD (24 MPG)

Wife's Pizza Transporter
Old 06-14-2008, 03:26 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to Nden Send a message via Yahoo to Nden
this post reminds me of a new motor i saw on BEYOND TOMORROW (discovery channel). in fact i believe it was in the new recently..few months ago. an australian inventor has built a motor that runs on compressed air. sorry but that's all i recall about it unless i find more 411

http://www.deantaber.com
Old 06-14-2008, 08:12 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Wicked Wanda - '99 VW Beetle GLS
90 day: 29.59 mpg (US)

Green Monster - '99 Ford Explorer Sport
90 day: 16.73 mpg (US)

Dad's Taxi - '99 Honda Odyssey EX
90 day: 24.23 mpg (US)
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nden View Post
this post reminds me of a new motor i saw on BEYOND TOMORROW (discovery channel). in fact i believe it was in the new recently..few months ago. an australian inventor has built a motor that runs on compressed air. sorry but that's all i recall about it unless i find more 411
Here's the thread:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...09-a-1143.html
Old 06-14-2008, 05:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xringer View Post
So, if I had a 10,000 farad capacitor charged up to 9 Volts and I connected a 9 ohm resistor across it, I wouldn't get 1 Amp of current flow when I flipped the switch?
No. If you look at instantaneous current flow, it will follow the same exponential decay curve as that voltage plot. You'd have a current flow of many amps for the first fraction of a second, declining to a fraction of an amp after several seconds. A battery would supply nearly constant current/voltage until it's depleted.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xringer View Post

No. If you look at instantaneous current flow, it will follow the same exponential decay curve as that voltage plot. You'd have a current flow of many amps for the first fraction of a second, declining to a fraction of an amp after several seconds. A battery would supply nearly constant current/voltage until it's depleted.
jamesqf,
I believe you may be mistaken.
From V=I*R we get I=V/R. Putting in 9 for the volts (V) and 9 for the ohms (R) we get 1 amp (I). Now as the current flows, the voltage in the capacitor drops, so the current gets lower with time, perhaps along the lines of a time constant RC. But the maximum current at the start when the switch is first closed is 1 amp.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:50 PM   #17 (permalink)
Old Retired R&D Dude

Little Red - '12 Toyota Prius c 2 Two
90 day: 57.82 mpg (US)

"Whitey" Bulger - '14 Toyota RAV4 LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
If by "many amps", you mean 1 amp, then you are right. The usec the switch
is closed, there will be 1 amp of current flow I=E/R (9 Watts of heat will come out of the resistor) and then over time, the voltage (and current) will drop off. And the heat will drop off slowly too.

To get a lot of amps flowing from the 10,000 farad capacitor, you could just
short it out with a heavy jumper wire. But, I would avoid being in the area,
since that 9 volts and some really high amperage just might vaporize any undersized jumper.

When I worked for NEC, we had 1.0 Farad 5V capacitors on some of the test gear. The caps were installed to preserve the data in the memory chips, in case of power failure.. They were used because the designer didn't want to use a Nicad battery. They worked very well. We never lost any data.

Current ride: 2014 RAV4 LE AWD (24 MPG)

Wife's Pizza Transporter
Old 12-05-2008, 03:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

i realize i'm way late on this but the idea of a flywheel is basically as an inertia drive. induce spin, as its spinning it holds onto the energy as inertia. when you pulse and glide your basically doing the same thing.

as you speed up you gain momentum, when you take the car out of gear and just let it roll you are useing up the cars stored momentum/inertia
Old 12-06-2008, 12:48 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I hate to be the bearer of bad news. . .

If you have a huge flywheel(or even a small flywheel spinning very fast) and you turn or tilt itin any fashion its going to go haywire. . .There is a video of some people playing a trick on a bus boy(back in the 30s or 40s) where a large low friction flywheel is inserted in a suitcase. The wheel is accelerated to high speed and then handed to the unsuspecting carrier. When he rounds the corner it yanks the suitcase out of his hand and jumps straight up and into the wall.

If you change the direction of the wheel an equivalent amount of force(however much energy is in the wheel) will be applied 90 degrees opposite and out of plane (read cross product) from the original turn. So if you turn left the trailer tries to climb up, right it digs into the pavement and tilting it causes it to swerve sideways.

If you were going to go completely straight(no tilting or twisting of ay kind) then it would work fine.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:03 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2k2Prot5 - '02 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 33.82 mpg (US)
That's a hilarious prank... please find the video

I was under the impression that F1 was going to go to a flywheel hybrid design... maybe it was just smoke in the breeze, but its a novel concept...

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
capacitor, flywheel energy storage