Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2010, 07:53 PM   This thread is in the EcoModder Project Library | #1 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
side miror removal on a matrix

First thing I did was to check the law to see if a side mirror is required, nope.

Listing of state laws on side mirrors:
====LIST of STATE MIRROR LAWS==== - JeepForum.com

For me:
MICHIGAN VEHICLE CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 300 of 1949

257.708 Mirrors.

Sec. 708.

A person shall not drive a motor vehicle on a highway which is so constructed or loaded as to prevent the driver from obtaining a view of the highway to the rear by looking backward from the driver's position, unless the vehicle is equipped with a mirror located so as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway to the rear of the vehicle. In addition all motor vehicles shall be equipped with an outside rearview mirror on the driver's side which shall be positioned to give the driver a rearviewing angle from the driver's side of the vehicle, except a motor vehicle licensed as an historic vehicle if the vehicle was not originally equipped with an outside rearview mirror. Rearview mirrors may be positioned on the helmet or visor worn by the operator of a motorcycle if the helmet is securely attached to the head of the operator. Every commercial vehicle of 1/2 ton capacity or more, operating upon the public highways of this state, shall be equipped with 2 mirrors, 1 on each side, adjusted so that the operator shall have a clear view of the highway behind the commercial vehicle. The outside mirrors shall not be considered to be a part of the vehicle for the purpose of determining the maximum width under section 717.

History: 1949, Act 300, Eff. Sept. 23, 1949 ;-- Am. 1967, Act 90, Eff. Jan. 1, 1968 ;-- Am. 1970, Act 94, Imd. Eff. July 20, 1970 ;-- Am. 1978, Act 55, Imd. Eff. Mar. 10, 1978

© 2007 Legislative Council, State of Michigan

I decided to try just an inside convex mirror for my passenger side. After testing it out (by taping it on) I decided that the view was enough for me and my driving, you need to make your own choice if the risks are worth it.

Here is my before pictures:

From the look of things on the inside all I needed to do is pop off the plastic. I was right:

Under the plastic cover I found that three nuts held the mirror on. Once I took them off the mirror came right off.

Between the mirror and the door was a plastic seal. I used that for my template for the cover I made from sheet metal:

I marked the size I needed and then cut 3/8" to 1/2" larger all the way around:

then I bent the metal along the line I made. Once it was bent up I hammered it over (flattened it). Then it was time for a test fit:

The shape was just right but there was a gap on the side facing the back of the car. I made a wooden shim to fill the hole:

To attach this cover I wanted not to have to screw through from the out side (I wanted a smooth surface for looks and aerodynamics). To make this happen I decided to make a wooden block that would bolt through the rubber seal and use the same holes a the OEM mirror did. I would then Epoxy the metal cover to the wooden block. This allows the whole assembly to be removed from the car just like the OEM mirror was (all mods I do to my car are reversible).

I had to attach the wooden block to the car before I could epoxy the cover on, otherwise the shape would not be right (the rubber seal does not hold it's shape). I also painted the outside of the cover before I epoxied it on (anther coat will come after the epoxy is set up).

Once the epoxy is cured up I will re move the tape and test it out.

I will also likely need to apply a bead of caulk between the rubber seal and cover to keep water out (there are some gaps due to the design of the OEM mirror).

Once the painting is done I will re pop on the plastic cover on the inside and attach my replacement mirror (more pics then).

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-18-2010, 11:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
Update:
Mod is done, and installed.

Last night I epoxied on the cover to the wooden block, but there was a gap between the cover and the rubber seal:

So I got out the caulk (paint able):

After painting and attaching to the car:

from the inside and with new mirror attached:

I will see how this works on my trip this weekend and post up my thoughts.
I might get some testing data in next week.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Deadly Efficient

Olivia - '03 Pontiac Vibe base
90 day: 36.01 mpg (US)

R2-D2 - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.81 mpg (US)
Sweet! Nice and clean, I like it!
Old 08-19-2010, 06:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
After my 320 mile drive yesterday I have some data to share.
It is not hard data but it is intersting.
I ran into some rain while driving 55 , I watched to see how the water doplets built up/ moved on the window and mirror area. The passenger side had less rain on it and the pattern was even. The drivers side had a big gap from where the mirror was. I took some pictures and some movie clips but can not post them up for a few days.

As for MPG, 3 weeks ago I drove this same route, there was more wind (10 -15 MPH stonger this time) and I did not get in any drafting. Last time I got 44.1 MPG and this time with all my mods (side skirts, Kammback, top grill block, and mirror removal) I got 46.6 MPG. Also this tank had 100 miles on it before I started my trip. when I started the trip the tank AVG was 40.1 because of my Kammback testing. So all in all I saw a minimum of 2.5 MPG better (I think it should be higher by 1 or 2 MPG). I had gused (from testing and oproximations that my gain would be ~ 3% or 1.5 MPG).

Once I have time I will need to do some more ABA testing, both with the mirror and with all my mods!
Old 08-19-2010, 08:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
If you have a fair bit of fuel data from before, then your fuel log should show a change like that over time?

Where did you get that mirror? Is it fixed, or does the angle have some adjustment?

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 08-19-2010, 09:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
I have fuel data for every fuel I bought for this car. I also have data on my old truck back till Aug 4th 2003. So I should see a change, though my driving right now is not very consistant.

I got them mirror at my local Meijer (simialr to Walmart). It was $2.40. Most auto parts stores also have small mirrors. it is desigend to be an additon to you outside mirror for seing your blind spot. Right now the ange is set by where and how I taped it on (using the double sided tape provided).
Old 08-24-2010, 06:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
Testing data update:

Raw data:

Graph:

Disclaimer: this test was run using old data for the "A & A2" sets. i did this because the bolts holding on the cover (where mirror was) are not assessable and the epoxy I had placed there to keep them from turning did not hold. I can take the cover off but I will ruin the threads on the bolts to do so. I decided to not hassle with it. The testing conditions from 2 weeks ago to today are very close. it is the same road, speed, and start stop locations. the only change is the wind (5MPH from the east today, was 5MPH from the NE last time). This was a minor enough change that I trust the data. The MPG gain is 1.6 or 3.72% gain. It might not be quit that high but will still be over 3%.