Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2009, 02:09 AM   #71 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

o=o> the box - '97 volvo 850
90 day: 27.62 mpg (US)
akashic-

I used to race bicycles. When we raced with our disc wheels, we covered the valve stem holes with stickers like these-

10 Disc Wheel Stem Covers for Zipp, HED, Mavic Etc. - eBay (item 370199810777 end time May-13-09 19:03:02 PDT)

of course, any stickers would do. Hope that helps!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-13-2009, 02:11 AM   #72 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by volvompg View Post
akashic-

I used to race bicycles. When we raced with our disc wheels, we covered the valve stem holes with stickers like these-

10 Disc Wheel Stem Covers for Zipp, HED, Mavic Etc. - eBay (item 370199810777 end time May-13-09 19:03:02 PDT)

of course, any stickers would do. Hope that helps!
I can't think why I never imagined putting Zipp stickers on a set of smooth wheel caps! That is genius!!!
Old 05-13-2009, 02:14 AM   #73 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

o=o> the box - '97 volvo 850
90 day: 27.62 mpg (US)
I have a destroyed set of those in my garage! The stickers are still good though. Now im getting ideas...
Old 05-20-2009, 05:40 PM   #74 (permalink)
Pickup Fuel Meiser

Blackline - '09 Nissan Frontier King Cab SE V6

Jetta - '11 Volkswagen Jetta Sportswagen TDI
I just found this thread and I am looking to make some of these mods to my '09 Nissan Frontier. How did you make the rear wheel skirts? Do they have a complicated structure under them like the front skirts or are they a simpler design?

Great work by the way!
RIDE A BIKE!: "If by tomorrow, every gas guzzler on the road were replaced by Priuses, we would still have the same gridlock, accidents, deaths, injuries and the same pressures to put more asphalt, strip malls and subdivisions." --Thomas Smart: SuperCommuter

Old 07-18-2010, 08:41 AM   #75 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

hey, what happened. no more updates?
Old 08-19-2011, 06:34 PM   #76 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
placard

Quote:
Originally Posted by akashic View Post
Wow, quite a compliment! Maybe I'll keep to my low-resolution cellphone pix for all my mods.

It does look fairly cool from a distance, though... but I still haven't gotten used to smooth wheels. There's something so "un-truck-like" about that to me. And racing wheels on a lifted truck that's going 45 in the slow lane... Just who do I think I am anyway??

The demand is growing in my mind for that "Research Vehicle" placard.
Make that 'AREA-51 Research Vehicle.'
Old 08-21-2011, 12:44 AM   #77 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Frontier 2wd 2.4L 5 speed - '98 Nissan Frontier XE
90 day: 27.87 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOak View Post
I just found this thread and I am looking to make some of these mods to my '09 Nissan Frontier. How did you make the rear wheel skirts? Do they have a complicated structure under them like the front skirts or are they a simpler design?

Great work by the way!
We have the same truck! Take a look at this thread along with my fuel log to see how mine is coming along. I have gone from 24 average to around 31 so far, and I am far from done with it.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ect-18230.html

Best 15-mile commute city/highway mix: 37.7 mpg
Best tank so far: 31 mpg
Old 05-09-2013, 08:37 PM   #78 (permalink)
TacoModder

rik's prerunner - '03 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Double Cab TRD 4A
90 day: 29.68 mpg (US)
New Update!! :)

Hey all. Remember me?

From what, 4 years ago? FOUR years ago??!!

So sorry to suddenly split like that...

I stopped posting when my life took a sudden unexpected turn. During that last month of Feb '09 I was preparing to leave my marriage. Not only was it not an amicable split -- it was a rather bad situation that I had to silently escape from and *hide*.

I was planning that once I got re-situated into my tiny shared apartment situation that I'd continue working on the truck... but it never worked out that way. I not only ceased to have a workshop, but I actually DISMANTLED all the overly-conspicuous aero mods.

At that point it just got frustrating to be back to near "factory" fuel inefficiency, especially as my new apartment was located at the end of an annoying gas-consuming drive.

As for the mods, they'd begun to disintegrate. The cool plexi fairings had actually broken off the day I visited the new place and smashed to pieces on the road! The pizza pan wheel covers had started to rust. (You really need to paint those things.) As well as the steel parts of the front and rear wheel fairings. So by the time of my next relocation, I just wound up throwing it ALL into the dumpster!

Not a big deal really... It's easy to make it all again! I didn't spend more than $70 on all of it, and since I made this thread and photographed everything, I have complete instructions to replicate it.

But I probably won't.

I still have the '03 Tacoma Prerunner. But sometime over the next few months, I'm going to convert it into a small RV camper -- and move into it! And my requirements are so much different this time around, that I'm not even going to streamline it. At least not immediately.

Instead of extensive aero design, my eco-modding will be focused on turning the truck into a tiny self-sustaining off-the-grid micro-house on wheels without spending much -- hopefully less than $100 for the simple shell, and a few more to keep it powered. I'll be looking into creative ways to get and use solar power, cook with alternate fuels, store food with passive refrigeration... stuff like that. Of course, I'll be minimizing gas use -- but mostly by not driving it or depending on the engine/alternator or extra gas generator for power. So different fare from the usual -- a lot more "off-grid home" than auto-shop -- but definitely "Ecomodding" with some unique design challenges that don't come up in any other context.

So watch for my next thread or two on making a full-time RV-style truck camper. (Note that I'll likely be changing my username from Akashic to Mobile Rik, to match my handle on other sites.)

As far as this old thread goes, I'm hoping I can dig up photos of certain parts of the build I KNOW I took pictures of, but can't seem to find. They may be lost for good. Oh well. In any case, "I'm back" and happy to address any questions about how I did this or that, as well as say hello to any newcomers from the past (ahem) 4 years.

-"Akashic" (Soon to be known as "Mobile Rik")

Last edited by mobilerik; 05-10-2013 at 02:52 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mobilerik For This Useful Post:
aerohead (05-11-2013), mikeyjd (03-02-2014)
Old 09-15-2013, 01:34 PM   #79 (permalink)
B.O. Zen

Pickup - '99 Toyota Tacoma 2wd, Regular Cab, Short Bed
90 day: 34.62 mpg (US)
I'm glad this thread floated back toward surface in the forums; I'm not sure I would have come across it otherwise.

We're lucky, with our trucks, to have so many mounting holes in the edge of each wheel well. I'm contemplating how to do a set of skirts on my truck, so your photos were really useful. It's good to have you back on the forum.

Edit: Oh yah, I'm doing the micro-house on wheels thing with my truck too! I'll look forward to seeing what you come up w/ for yours.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:14 PM   #80 (permalink)
Aero Wannabe

TDi - '04 VW Golf
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 53.2 mpg (US)
Have you seen this thread?

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...per-20880.html

I thought he gave up and was selling this but my memory may be faulty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. Mechanical friction increases as the square, so increasing speed requires progressively more power.
Reply  Post New Thread