Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2016, 06:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Unhappy Why Does 1985 CRX Now Run Hot with new Water Pump?

Why Does 1985 CRX Now Run Hot with new Water Pump?

I just had my timing belt & water pump replaced by a mechanic on my carbureted 1985 Honda CRX HF.
The water pump is by Aisin & timing belt by Gates.

I had absolutely no issues before & until after installing the timing belt & water pump. In other words it never ran hot.
However, it now runs very hot & up to the max line.

Note: The air conditioner works & the fan blower works, but the heater does not appear to work as I feel no heat.

Mechanic says if there is no heat coming out when both the heater & fan are turned on-then it typically indicates the water pump is not circulating. Is it possible my mechanic overlooked something?

Any suggestions on what I should test or do?

The mechanic replaced the thermostat, which really slowed down the engine from heating up when parked. However it still gradually climbs towards the max line or max temp, just not as quickly as before.

The engine cooling fan does not seem to work either.

The mechanic seems to think its the Aisin water pump. Your thoughts?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-20-2016, 08:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Too many cars

CRXFi - '88 Honda CRX XFi

Insight 256 - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights

Insight 5342 (no IMA) - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 66.3 mpg (US)
I'd try bleeding the cooling system before tearing it apart again. A pocket of air could be blocking the flow of coolant. There should be a bleed screw on the engine, near the upper radiator hose.
2006 Honda Insight (parts car)
1988 Honda CRXFi
1994 Geo Metro

The Following User Says Thank You to Gasoline Fumes For This Useful Post:
Xist (06-21-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 09:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 72.22 mpg (US)

Big, Bad & Flat - '01 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,353 Times in 711 Posts

Did the water pump come with a plastic plug in the suction side?

Was a rag or paper towel used to keep the hoses from dripping when they were disconnected?

If so, it's possible that the mechanic didn't remove the plastic plug and or rag.

It's also possible that the radiator is full of gunk on the inside, not allowing it to
circulate.

If so, replace radiator...

>
The Following User Says Thank You to redneck For This Useful Post:
ChillyBear (07-31-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 09:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Nameless - '06 GMC Canyon
90 day: 37.45 mpg (US)

22 Maverick - '22 Ford Maverick XL
90 day: 41.9 mpg (US)
After a heat up/cool down, open the radiator cap. If it's not full to the top, fill and repeat. If the coolant level in the overflow tank drops after a heat up/cool down, there is still air in the system.
06 Canyon: The vacuum gauge plus wheel covers helped increase summer 2015 mileage to 38.5 MPG, while summer 2016 mileage was 38.6 MPG without the wheel covers. Drove 33,021 miles 2016-2018 at 35.00 MPG.

22 Maverick: Summer 2022 burned 62.74 gallons in 3145.1 miles for 50.1 MPG. Winter 2023-2024 - 2416.7 miles, 58.66 gallons for 41 MPG.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

More questions for clarification...

Thanks for replying .

I saw the mechanic do the air bleed, but for some reason he seem surprised the bleed valve did not appear to work... no matter what how far he adjusted it.

Should he have felt any air coming out? If not, then what should he check next?

Does the waterpump housing have a weep hole to indicate its bad?

Could the water pump still be installed even with the plastic plug in the suction side? & would the mechanic need to remove the timing belt attached to water pump in order to access & remove the plug?

Do you believe reverse flushing the radiator with a garden hose be effective to clear out any blockages?

Last edited by ascendedmind; 06-20-2016 at 10:26 PM..
Old 06-20-2016, 11:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascendedmind View Post
... would the mechanic need to remove the timing belt attached to water pump in order to access ... ?...
Yes.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 06-21-2016, 05:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Lightbulb Here's More info I discovered for Diagnosing Issue...

1. Should the fan motor run continuously when AC is turned on? It runs intermittently on & off.

2. After warming up engine, the fan motor does not come on when AC is turned off.

3. Does this indicate a defective fan motor or Thermosenser?

4. Note: The top radiator hose gets warm, but not the bottom house. What does this indicate?

Furthermore, when the mechanic loosened the air bleed bolt, absolutely no coolant ran out even with radiator filled.

5. I'm still not getting any heat from the heater.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
I think a blockage might be indicated, given what you describe about the air bleed. It does not sound like much or any coolant is circulating.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 07-31-2016, 08:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Every car I've ever worked on that did that was a stuck thermostat.
A few have responded by tapping on the thermostat's housing. I would still change it if that worked.
You could take the thermostat completely out to eliminate it as the blockage.
did we try a new thermostat?
I've seen plenty of new and used thermostats which are just stuck closed.

2000 chevy METRO 3/5 base
Old 08-01-2016, 12:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
Semi-serious ecomodder

1. Should the fan motor run continuously when AC is turned on? It runs intermittently on & off.?

That's weird.... Every car I know of keeps the fan on for ac, some modern ones turn it off at driving speeds, but that's an old car, that ive never worked on so i have no clue.
But in general, you need it... Its possible for the evaporation to not fully happen, which allows liquid to enter the compressor, then its ghandi. A fan keeps it efficient enough to prevent this. But on most classic modern cars with a single fan, you have a high and low speed, which can be fed by up to 3 separate circuits. IE, low for ac, low for say 190-210°, high for ac + 190+°, high for 230°+ etc. Edit: I forgot to mention, trans temp can kick it on, on some cars.

That's a question for a honda forum as far as the fan speeds IMHO,
but I vote for checking for the plug in the water pump, testing/replacing tstat, and back flushing the cooling system just because its gonna get drained anyway. I also would go for some real acid like CLR for the cooling system, just because some old cars have electrolysis type corrosion going on, and it just needs to be done, especially with aging wiring etc. Its all over my head, so I just flush annually..... But I get results in the drain pan, so its something to do with my sensors and grounds drawing or creating a current. I'm not a science doctor, but my coolant creates deposits. Yearly.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
1985 honda crx hf, aisin water pump, runs hot