Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2021, 11:18 PM   #41 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Maybe the Com-BEV. The Type 2-e. The EVW Bus.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-30-2021, 12:37 AM   #42 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
Funny hearing the pros on the RWD vs FWD, I have debated that here before. All I know is around here every year we get a big influx of people from California with their modern RWD luxury cars. The best traction control, the best snow tires, perfect 50/50 weight distribution, and by the 2nd winter every single one of them will be sold for a FWD or AWD. I grew up on RWD, and I drive a RWD mail truck every day in every condition, still FWD would be better in the snow every time, and AWD vastly superior to that. We aren't talking high speed lap times, just getting out of your driveway and over the 2 foot tall berm the plow left and on to work. Or in my case getting through the fresh snow before the plows have even been out. Yeah the RWD mail trucks do it, but they only do it with full chains added even in just a skiff of snow, or even still when all the snow has been packed down solid. There is just something good in the snow about wheels pulling the mass rather than pushing the mass. Maybe the way they dig, or that you can saw them side to side to find better traction. RWD vs AWD is just a no brainer in winter climates. This video shows well what I'm talking about around the 4 min mark when they try and start on a hill. Dedicated snow tires, modern traction control, and the truck is just stuck on loose snow with a slight hill, a common road condition I experience in western Montana.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zachary (03-30-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 07:35 PM   #43 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
I grew up on RWD, and I drive a RWD mail truck every day in every condition, still FWD would be better in the snow every time, and AWD vastly superior to that.
Most of my driving experience had been with FWD cars, but I have no experience with snow. On a sidenote, no wonder many JDM cars feature AWD and the sedans are often also fitted with a rear wiper, all due to the snow.
Old 04-07-2021, 11:39 AM   #44 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I suspect you've been abducted and replaced by a clone since last December.

https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...tml#post638247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zackary View Post
Yes, I agree. I do believe that going from a 1985 VW to anything built within the past 10 years has to be an improvement in safety. I'd hate to get killed in a Prius. But I'd hate to get killed in a Charger too. I'm not sure that sending my wife in a 292hp RWD car over snow covered passes with a 1,000ft precipice on one side would be smart.
I had objected to RWD before.

https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...tml#post574001