Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
Aero Wannabe

TDi - '04 VW Golf
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 53.2 mpg (US)
P.S. DO NOT do a WVO conversion but I seem to be getting better mpg with B20 biodiesel. It has better lubricity for the injector pumps as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. Mechanical friction increases as the square, so increasing speed requires progressively more power.
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-02-2012, 05:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Woody - '96 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 23.82 mpg (US)

Avion and Woody - '96 Dodge/Avion Ram 2500/5th wheel combo
90 day: 15.1 mpg (US)

TD eye eye eye - '03 Volkswagen Beetle GLS
90 day: 49.05 mpg (US)

Mule - '07 Dodge Ram 3500 ST
The other place boost is magical is at higher altitude. Without it life does suck.

2007 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 with 6MT
2003 TDI Beetle
2002 TDI Beetle

currently parked - 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins Turbodiesel
Custom cab, auto, 3.55 gears
The Following User Says Thank You to skyking For This Useful Post:
Christ (05-02-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
DieselMiser

Das Schlepper Frog - '85 Mercedes Benz 300SD
90 day: 23.23 mpg (US)

Gentoo320 - '04 Mercedes C320 4Matic
90 day: 22.44 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
The other place boost is magical is at higher altitude. Without it life does suck.
Amen!!!
Old 05-02-2012, 05:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
I've never tried it in a AHU, but I run various mixes of used motor oil, hydraulic/brake fluid, and transmission oil, as well as raw gas (mixed in, except that one time) in my Golf D. It hasn't damaged anything yet, and I know people that have been doing it for as long as they've owned their cars with no perceptible issues.

I rarely buy highway diesel for my truck or the Golf. Well, I don't buy anything for the Golf anymore, it's sitting on stands waiting for the engine and cradle to be pulled.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

GTI TDI - '91 Volkswagen Golf GTI
Diesel
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 61.23 mpg (US)
I'm quite impressed with the FE myself. And the foam stuffed in the grill idea is great - that will probably by my next thing as it's quick, cheap, and temporary. I will probably not be doing H20 injection anytime soon though as my energy and $ are going in to getting the VR6 suspension, 300x25MM front brakes With Porsche calieprs, and LRR tires - lookl like I will get the Pirelli P7 Centurato 185/55r15.

I already ahve a scangauge installed - it's quite helpful. I find it overestimates fuel consumption when driving hard and underestimates when driving really carefully.

I could easily delete mirrors with OEM blockoff plates - but the safety loss isn't worth it to me. I am also without muffler or Meow right now. Just 2.5" Turbo-back with nothing in it. It's not really very loud at all, and the older VW diesels didn't have cats. I really like the flat belly pan idea - I will need to look into making one for this. It doesn't look all that difficult.

I have no EGR on this either. Warmup is very long - and I wouldn't say my tune improves MPG... the goal of the tune is more power, without hurting MPG. I'm probalby about 120WHP now - and will be making much more once my new nozzles arrive and I get the new MAP sensor board designed and installed, followed by a remap.

Quite the interesting article on boost... I buess more is better!

I can get B5 here for a really good price - may give that a try. WVO is not for me.

interesting use of various flammible liquids to run a diesel... I'm going to stick with something a bit more proven though.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
MPG Militia HMV-25E80+A

FrankenJetta D - '90 Volkswagen Jetta GL
Boat tails and more mods
Diesel
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 64.35 mpg (US)
Belly pans on the MKII VWs works VERY well. If you don't have the front factory belly pan in place, that is my best recommendation to start. Full pan is better, but just the front is considerable.

I started with an upper grill block, black ABS plastic behind the stock grill. No one ever noticed that I didn't tell.

Got looking at your fuel log the other day and couldn't figure out why I hadn't seen you before. Then I looked at your sign up date. Not a stalker, just another VW nut

Quote:
It is always very amusing how our imagination is put to the test when overcoming reality. Redyaris
Boat tail project
How to gently bump start during EOC
Old 05-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Diesel
TEAM VW AUDI Group
factory belly pan huh? what do you know of this? I actually have a VW/Audi group OEM belly pan that is full bumper to K-frame and up to the rails... it cost me a ridiculous amount of money though (almost as much as the TDI ) - and I don't want to install it on this nasty K-frame. Once the fully Powder-coated K-frame and VR suspension go in and I confirm there are absolutely no oil leaks - the pan will go on. I will need to make one for the rest of the underside. I need to see what you did to yours... Time to start digging. And if you didn't do a detailed post, I will be beging you for details.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #18 (permalink)
MPG Militia HMV-25E80+A

FrankenJetta D - '90 Volkswagen Jetta GL
Boat tails and more mods
Diesel
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 64.35 mpg (US)
No problem. I started hosting pics in my Ecomodder album here but moved to photobucket here. I can see from your website that your and my methods are a bit different, but you might get some ideas from my screw-ups.

Quote:
It is always very amusing how our imagination is put to the test when overcoming reality. Redyaris
Boat tail project
How to gently bump start during EOC
Old 05-02-2012, 07:55 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Great video, thanks for sharing.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Diesel
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by JethroBodine View Post
No problem. I started hosting pics in my Ecomodder album here but moved to photobucket here. I can see from your website that your and my methods are a bit different, but you might get some ideas from my screw-ups.

Thanks - those pics are a great resource for when i start doing my belly pan - since you can't see it at all from any normal position - I would be willing to do a full pan for better MPG. It would be good for top speed too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
Great video, thanks for sharing.
Thanks! It was my first attempt at time-lapse with the hacked canon point and shoot (sd750).

Reply  Post New Thread