Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #51 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Wyatt, you may be right; but the XL1 is at least 0.06 lower Cd than the Insight; which is almost 25% lower. They both have tapered sides and narrower rear wheel tracks, and covered rear wheels, and similar smooth front wheels. The side video mirrors and the underside of the XL1 are the obvious big differences. And they weigh close to the same - the VW is slightly lighter, including the 5.5kWh lithium battery.

So, VW's engineers have worked very hard to find the big penalties, I'm sure.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #52 (permalink)
EcoModder

Big Salsa - '04 Toyota Sienna LE

Silver - '10 Toyota Prius III
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Wyatt, you may be right; but the XL1 is at least 0.06 lower Cd than the Insight; which is almost 25% lower. They both have tapered sides and narrower rear wheel tracks, and covered rear wheels, and similar smooth front wheels. The side video mirrors and the underside of the XL1 are the obvious big differences. And they weigh close to the same - the VW is slightly lighter, including the 5.5kWh lithium battery.

So, VW's engineers have worked very hard to find the big penalties, I'm sure.
Absolutely.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #53 (permalink)
PSmodder lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
...aside from the useless door side-panel sculpting, I like it.
...the original concept vid shows that side panel sculpting as an actively controlled intake vent.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:27 AM   #54 (permalink)
wdb
lurker's apprentice

PlainJane - '12 Toyota Tacoma Base 4WD Access Cab
90 day: 20.98 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
...aside from the useless door side-panel sculpting, I like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatt View Post
It would have been nice if they would have rounded the wheel wells like on the Gen1 Insight. According to this picture, it would have improved the Cd by about 0.007 (probably a little less), or take it from 0.189 to around 0.182. Not insignificant when there are so few improvements left to be had.
I agree with Old Tele Man, that sculpting should go. The hubcaps should have been made as smooth as possible also.
I guess these may have been things they traded, and the improvements were so small that they decided to keep the styling. I guess we may never know.
I'm always amused when people assume they know better than a phalanx of engineers with millions of euros, several years of research and development, and a windtunnel.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:53 AM   #55 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Previous Car - '12 Chevrolet Cruze Eco MT
Team Chevy
90 day: 44.29 mpg (US)

535d XDrive - '16 BMW 535d M-Sport
Quote:
It would have been nice if they would have rounded the wheel wells like on the Gen1 Insight. According to this picture, it would have improved the Cd by about 0.007 (probably a little less), or take it from 0.189 to around 0.182. Not insignificant when there are so few improvements left to be had.
The aerodynamic gains available by such a mod will vary vehicle to vehicle, and will also be totally dependant on the airflow leading into that area. It is quite possible that VW has set up the front end to direct airflow outward off the nose so that it doesn't contact the side of the car again until after the front wheel well opening.

I would imagine this is why GM added small deflectors (not sure what they're actually called) to the front of the front wheel well openings on the C6 Z06 (and later kept them on the ZR1)... even though the car already has generously sculpted edges on the rear of the front wheel wells. These would keep air from hitting the tires and getting forced into the wheel well, but may also keep air from hitting the wheel face and rear edge of the wheel well.

You can see the deflectors very clearly on both sides in this photo:

Chevrolet Corvette C6 Z06 Exotic Car Image #010 of 44 : Diesel Station
Old 03-06-2013, 02:32 PM   #56 (permalink)
EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Angel View Post
I would imagine this is why GM added small deflectors (not sure what they're actually called) to the front of the front wheel well openings on the C6 Z06 (and later kept them on the ZR1)...
I have always heard them being called Fender Flares, or something very similar.

I am sure the real answer they didn't do as Old Tele Man and I suggested is for marketing/styling purposes. Super cars have air intakes running along their doors, either to cool their mid-mounted engine, or to cool rear brakes. I have seen no evidence of an active system on this car, but they did have it on the first two prototypes. I see Ford Mustangs every day with fake rear intakes, so to me it's not surprising that it was kept, seeing as how it adds dimension and a "supercar feel" to the vehicle.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #57 (permalink)
EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
I'm always amused when people assume they know better than a phalanx of engineers with millions of euros, several years of research and development, and a windtunnel.
It's not the first time someone has been amused with me in this thread.

Those millions of euros are evidence that Volkswagon understands what sells, and are not evidence that they max out their machines for aerodynamics. I am not saying, and do not mean to imply, that VW made the wrong decision.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:26 PM   #58 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
I have always heard them being called Fender Flares, or something very similar.
Fender flares would be extensions to widen the fender, not deflectors in front of the wheels. At least, that's the usage that I am familiar with for that term.

-soD
Old 03-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #59 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by botsapper View Post
...the original concept vid shows that side panel sculpting as an actively controlled intake vent.
...unfortunately, it looks like that feature did not make it into the current model, ie: they're now just for looks and, well, "useless" vestiges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
...nah, I'm just just observant. What they were for "originally" doesn't count now, since they're only for show and not for go now!

Last edited by gone-ot; 03-06-2013 at 05:40 PM..
Old 03-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #60 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Here's a very informative animated video of the VW XL1:

In particular, the frontal area is 1.50 sq m which is 16.146 sq ft. The Cd is 0.189, so the CdA is just 3.05 sq ft. The EV1 is 3.96 sq ft.

Notice the location of the battery pack - it is tucked into the space just ahead of the passenger, which is staggered back from the driver.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/

Last edited by NeilBlanchard; 03-07-2013 at 02:11 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to NeilBlanchard For This Useful Post:
sendler (03-07-2013)
Reply  Post New Thread