Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2020, 05:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Is the VX a favorite of Hypermilers?

This 1994 Civic hatchback is for sale in Show Low for $1,100 and I am trying to determine what submodel it is.

It is an autotragic. Wikipedia suggests that CXes only came with manuals in the U.S., while it was an option in Canada, eh. It also says:
Quote:
The 1995 CDM CX models (sometimes colloquially referred to as the "CX-Plus") added the rear wiper/washer as a standard feature, and could be ordered with side mouldings and manual passenger-side mirror.
It has all of those! The rear wiper was an option before, but mouldings and side mirror weren't?

There are three paragraphs describing the engine, but nothing that would be in the pictures. There is only a Honda badge on the back.

No license plate! Why isn't there a license plate?!

Anyway, Wikipedia says "The D15Z1 engine was considered revolutionary for its day.[citation needed] To this day, the VX remains a favorite of Hypermilers.[citation needed]"

Who has a citation?! Shall I take a poll?

The next paragraph is interesting:
Quote:
One of the few rocks Honda left unturned in search of better fuel economy was increasing the final drive ratio of the VX, usually expressed as the number of engine revolutions per mile in the transmission's top gear. Since the ratio of the VX is identical to the CX, despite the engine's greater power, low end torque, and the car's lower coefficient of drag the use of a higher final drive ratio would have resulted in a drivable car, with even higher fuel economy. The lower than necessary final drive ratio results in a vehicle that is remarkably quick off the line, for one that can get 50 MPG on the highway. A higher ratio could have been accomplished by transmission modifications, such as an overdrive top gear, a dual range transmission, or simply by using larger diameter wheels, in conjunction with a wide ratio transmission, so there would be sufficient torque on the driving wheels in first gear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Genius Man View Post
Balto put a VX gearbox in an HX and could not undo it fast enough, fifth gear was too low, and it was wrong for lean burn.
If a VX transmission was too low for an HX, wouldn't a higher gear be too low for a VX? Civic transmission swapping

Wikipedia says the VX had a tachometer. This doesn't. It definitely doesn't have VX wheels, but I am sure that many non-VXes have them, while many VXes don't.

The VX has aerodynamic underbody panels and had some aluminum componenst, while the other submodels used steel.

The CX and VX have shift lights.

Edit: Those were only available with a manual.
Quote:
The standard model was the more powerful DX, with a 102 hp (76 kW) 1.5 L D15B7 engine, manual passenger side mirror (after 1992), tilt steering, intermittent wipers, side mouldings, rear wiper/washer, and rear cargo shelf as standard equipment. Despite the higher horsepower powerplant, the DX returns real-world mileage of 38 city / 45 hwy.
The passenger window is manual and broken.

The EPA shows 2 ratings for the VX, without a discernible difference. So does Wikipedia.

Wikipedia gives one number without specifying the transmission. I am sure that would now be around 31/40, while every one of us should easily meet or beat the original 38/45, but was that for the manual or automatic?

Edmunds says 29/36, but still doesn't specify the transmission.

Fuelly says that 6 owners of 1994 DX hatchbacks reported between 18 and 39 MPG, averaging 29.67 MPG, but still not differentiating between transmissions.

How the heck do you get 18?!

I can only guess that it is heavily un-ecomodded. Throwing out his noise it averages 32 MPG.

There is a table saying the CX was only available with an automatic in Canada, the VX was only available with a manual, and while there wasn't any doubt that this wasn't an Si, that was also only available with a manual, so if it was initially sold in the U.S., and it had an autotragic, it is a DX.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-08-2020, 04:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Firefly EV - '98 Pontiac Firefly EV
90 day: 107.65 mpg (US)

Little Boy Blue - '05 Toyota Echo
90 day: 33.35 mpg (US)

BlueZ - '19 Nissan 370Z Sport
90 day: 17.19 mpg (US)
Umm...yes?
The Following User Says Thank You to Stubby79 For This Useful Post:
Gasoline Fumes (12-08-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 01:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Industrial Designer

Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 52.94 mpg (US)
Automatic = don't bother, crush it, not worth owning.

And I would say the VX is okay, but the insight kicks it's ass in, easily.
Old 12-10-2020, 01:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Lurker!!!
Old 12-10-2020, 04:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Not Doug

If both have manual transmissions, we are talking about the difference between 43 and 53 MPG highway. Yes, that is 23%, but do you think that a single first-generation Insight still has a traction battery operating within specified parameters? FuelEconomy.gov says the hybrid would save $150 a year in fuel. How many times can you replace the battery for $3,000?

How many times would you need to?

The owner eventually said that this one is a DX and then said that it is a CX.
Old 12-10-2020, 05:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A 20 year old Insight is not a car for an average joe to drive, trying to save money. It’s a money pit or an ongoing project. Parts are scarce and issues that arise are usually the expensive parts.

A civic, on the other hand is quite the opposite. Cheap, abundant parts - though VX specific ones might not be - and only the worst of issues will be the expensive ones. If it’s not been mistreated or have half a million miles on it, they shouldn’t crop up.

Well, rust might be a concern. But over-all, your assessment is correct. The civic will cost you less, generally speaking. Cheaper to get in to, cheaper to maintain. Not cheaper on fuel.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stubby79 For This Useful Post:
Xist (12-10-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 11:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,104 Times in 974 Posts
In 20 years expect two battery changes/repairs, but depending on layout might be cheap. Couple grand for rebuild depending on brand?
Old 12-12-2020, 12:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Industrial Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
If both have manual transmissions, we are talking about the difference between 43 and 53 MPG highway. Yes, that is 23%, but do you think that a single first-generation Insight still has a traction battery operating within specified parameters? FuelEconomy.gov says the hybrid would save $150 a year in fuel. How many times can you replace the battery for $3,000?

How many times would you need to?

The owner eventually said that this one is a DX and then said that it is a CX.
Wow there's a bunch of bull**** in this thread.

I get 52mpg with my insight... on SNOW TIRES.

With my narrower summer tires mounted on VX wheels, I get 70-80mpg. My record is 84mpg. If I don't care at all or try hard and just drive it normally, it will be 60-65mpg.

Secondly, the insight is aluminum, which means NO RUST. Good luck finding a cheap 90s civic without rust, and even if you DO find one, you probably shouldn't drive it in winter or it will disintegrate pretty quickly.

Lastly, the battery issues are COMPLETELY overblown in these cars. The factory IMA system does a poor job at maintaining the balance of the sticks, so a grid charger is required. I plug my car in for 24 hours or so, once every few months. That's it.

Annually, I do a deep discharge, as shown in this video:

I have the FACTORY battery and currently have 280k miles. People replace their batteries without ever TRYING to use a grid charger or do a deep discharge, which is just dumb.
Old 12-12-2020, 01:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Industrial Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubby79 View Post
A 20 year old Insight is not a car for an average joe to drive, trying to save money. It’s a money pit or an ongoing project. Parts are scarce and issues that arise are usually the expensive parts.

A civic, on the other hand is quite the opposite. Cheap, abundant parts - though VX specific ones might not be - and only the worst of issues will be the expensive ones. If it’s not been mistreated or have half a million miles on it, they shouldn’t crop up.

Well, rust might be a concern. But over-all, your assessment is correct. The civic will cost you less, generally speaking. Cheaper to get in to, cheaper to maintain. Not cheaper on fuel.
That's a bunch of BS. How many insights have you owned? I have owned one for almost 8 years. It has paid for itself SEVERAL TIMES OVER in fuel savings. It has never been a money pit, nor has it ever been an ongoing project.

Parts are scarce? What parts? Every consumable on this car is readily available; rotors, pads, plugs, filters, clutches, etc etc etc. Would it be more difficult to find a bumper or headlight for if you rear end someone? Compared to what? I can go on ebay right now, and find pretty much any part I would need to fix this thing in an accident, so please tell me EXACTLY what is so impossible to find for these cars. Would really love to know.

You sound like someone who's never owned one repeating bull**** spouted by some idiot who owned one for 6 months and cannot even change their own oil.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cash68 For This Useful Post:
Stubby79 (12-12-2020)
Old 12-12-2020, 01:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Not Doug

Are there kids on your lawn?