Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012, 12:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

VX - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 47.95 mpg (US)
VX Lean Burn indicator

After searching I see a lot of discussion about lean burn monitors, mostly an LED light and a digital multimeter. I understand the multimeter and looking for the output of the 02 sensor to go to zero, but what about a simple light? It seems like it would be much easier to cleanly install in the car. However the only actual information I can find about doing the light is to go from "A8"... Which I don't know what that means....

How would a simple narrow band air/fuel gauge work? I understand it wouldn't give exact values, but still show being at stoich ratio or in lean burn. It would also be easy to do a clean install, since it's been done so many times. Thinking about maybe a used autometer pro comp gauge.

What are your thoughts?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-18-2012, 08:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic CX/HX - '97 Honda Civic CX/HX
Team Honda
90 day: 63.77 mpg (US)
Brain just used an MPGuino and just waited for the MPG jump up.

I guess being OBD2 I am somewhat spoiled with being able to watch the rear o2 drop to zero on the scan gauge.

If it were me, I would follow the instal steps of the lean burn light. It is the cheapest option if that is the only thing you want to monitor.

http : //w w w. autospeed.co.nz/cms/A_1716/article . html?popularArticle

http : //autospeed.com/cms/A_110625/article . html

Obviously without the spaces

The problem with the LED though is you are likely going to crave more data. I was driving the other day in lean burn and had the idea to change the backlight coller of my scangauge2 to red to match my MPGuino. I started navigating to the edit display functions and and then freaked out. What was my LOD? What was my TPS? Even though I have a tach, I still trust the scangauge for the accruate readings! It was like driving blind. How could I stay in lean burn without knowing these things! I quickly changed back to the gauge funtion to moniter lean burn. It is crazy how dependant I have become on scangauge and seeing my results.

Now on to your OBD1 situation, Originally I was a fan of the scangauge or ultragauge. Had I bought a VX or swapped in a D15z1 into my car, I would have picked up a OBD2 conversion harness to be able to use the scangauge I already had. But after seeing the torque ap with bluetooth (and being on sprint with unlimited data), I am likely to go that route in the future.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

VX - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
Yeah Brian was saying that the MPGuino worked great for him, I would like to get one, but I figure if I can do a light for almost freel it is a great start, and hopefully hold me over at least until I get an MPGuino.

I had only heard a little bit about the Torque app but Brian was telling me more about it, sounds like a really good option, but I don't have a smartphone so I'm just dreaming.

Also, sweet thank you for those links!

Old 10-18-2012, 12:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

2 x wrecked vx - '92 Honda Civic Vx
Team Honda
90 day: 62 mpg (US)
I am sure you could do the single light to indicate lean burn. It has talked about many times but nobody ever posted exactly how to do it. I took the easy way and bought the autospeed kit.Click image for larger version

Name:	lean burn monitor.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	11682

Click image for larger version

Name:	monitor with cover.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	11683 The only imput besides positive and negative is pump cell positive which is D14 at the ecu.
I don't know about the HX motor but going into leanburn on the Vx is really super easy .
And the mpguino is super accurate for a leanburn motor. All the data that the scanguage provides is nice but you really don't need it for leanburn ,at least not in a vx.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

VX - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
How do you like the autospeed kit? How does it work, in terms of the lights, I understand the hookup,but how does it indicate different conditions? Yellow lights are lean, green is normal stoich, and red is rich? Does it jump around a lot? Would you suggest it as a simple lean burn monitor?

Just debating what I should do, I can get an autometer pro comp narrowband air/ fuel gauge for $20. I have read that it won't give me too exact of info, but should show when it is in lean burn or not.

Last edited by 2000neon; 10-18-2012 at 01:20 PM..
Old 10-19-2012, 12:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

2 x wrecked vx - '92 Honda Civic Vx
Team Honda
90 day: 62 mpg (US)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000neon View Post
How do you like the autospeed kit? How does it work, in terms of the lights, I understand the hookup,but how does it indicate different conditions? Yellow lights are lean, green is normal stoich, and red is rich? Does it jump around a lot? Would you suggest it as a simple lean burn monitor?

Just debating what I should do, I can get an autometer pro comp narrowband air/ fuel gauge for $20. I have read that it won't give me too exact of info, but should show when it is in lean burn or not.
I really like it. You can adujst the low volt pot and make whatever light you want to indicate leanburn. I use red for rich and the second last yellow for leanburn with green in between.
In open loop it dances up and down as you move the throttle. Less so in closed loop. When the engine warms up enough to get leanburn it goes to yellow and stays there (no jumping around at all ) until you open the throttle too much then it rockets down to red. let up on the throttle and it goes back to yellow. Its that simple.

The vx seems to be either in leanburn or it is not. Not much in between . I just keep it yellow as much as I can and don't really pay much attention to the green lights or the red or where stoich is but I guess you could if you wanted. Only one light would be fine but I kind of think a bunch is kind of cool. Oh and definately get the MPGuino also and then get a digital voltimeter so you can tell when you are charging. (ebay from China about 5 bucks shipped)

Looking forward to see what you do with the car
Old 10-19-2012, 12:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

VX - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
Thanks! I'm looking into MPGuinos right now, definitely on the list, hopefully sooner than later.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

VX has leanburn, stoich, and full rich. Knowing all three conditions will help.

Reply  Post New Thread