Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2018, 09:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Oh Deer - '03 Ford Ranger XL
90 day: 33.97 mpg (US)
WAI or RAI

Hello everyone,

I was just reading Taylor95's thread about his WAI ideas and if brought a question to mind but I didn't want to hijack his thread so here I am.

I have seen this YT video on an air box mod...

but I had an idea on modding that mod to create a WAI.

It looks like they leave the air box open to the headlight area still allowing cold air into the box but at a higher volume. My idea is to re-seal the headlight opening and the opening in the air box. Then create a new opening on the engine side of the box and install some kind of ducting (pvc elbow, dryer vent, etc) pointed towards the exhaust manifold to draw in warm air.

Any thoughts?

The other thing saw (and don't think has any FE benefit) is in this video...

It's a pretty clean setup, but I have no idea what it would do for FE. Probably nothing. Any other thoughts on this?

p.s. I have no idea why the second video has a gal in the pic other than trying to get someone to click on it. Not my video.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-21-2018, 09:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Moderators

Please delete this duplicate thread. Somehow I submitted it twice. Please leave the original.

Thank you.

Or, let me know how to delete the duplicate and I can do it. I'm sure there is a way, I'm just not sure where to click.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
WAI only really help to warm the car up faster and get you out of enrichment or high idle mode. Past that unless you eoc a lot and need to keep the engine hot because it isn't running long enough to stay warm they really don't give you magic fuel economy numbers on steady-state cruising.
For example my Prius functions as a Prius above 170 degrees coolant temp, but below that the engine won't hardly shut off and it uses a lot higher gpm for accel and idle.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Is eoc engine on coast or engine off coast. I only engine on coast. Sometimes in neutral and sometimes in gear.

Old 08-21-2018, 11:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hat_man View Post
Is eoc engine on coast or engine off coast. I only engine on coast. Sometimes in neutral and sometimes in gear.
Engine off coast. You should try it. Get an injector kill or flick the ignition and coast for whatever duration you like then when you want to restart just quarter clutch to jump the engine, then clutch back in to put the motor back into neutral and rev and shift to whatever gear you want. This way tends to abuse the clutch or starter less as you're rev matching more and using less clutch or starter.
I swear 75% of the Prius fe is just eoc coasting and eo at stop lights. The regen system helps a little too but mostly because its built so heavy you can run all your accessories with the engine off for a long time to be comfortable vs sweating my ass off in my civic.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Engine off coasting is not a good idea in my truck. The Ranger power steering pump doesn't like it at all. DFCO on steep downgrades and
engine on coasting (eOc?) seem to be my better options.

Old 08-21-2018, 04:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

sizematters - '08 smart 4-2 passion cabrio
90 day: 51.99 mpg (US)

escape - '06 Ford Escape xlt
90 day: 26.78 mpg (US)

Buick - '04 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 27.26 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden55 View Post
WAI only really help to warm the car up faster and get you out of enrichment or high idle mode. Past that unless you eoc a lot and need to keep the engine hot because it isn't running long enough to stay warm they really don't give you magic fuel economy numbers on steady-state cruising.
For example my Prius functions as a Prius above 170 degrees coolant temp, but below that the engine won't hardly shut off and it uses a lot higher gpm for accel and idle.
I disagree, on my smart the mpg's are higher when cruising at higher temps but the power drops off, when I hook up the cai the power comes back but the mpg goes down a bit according to my scangage. Chumly

Reply  Post New Thread