Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2010, 12:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Toyota - '94 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.91 mpg (US)

Scooter - '06 Yamaha Majesty
90 day: 31.65 mpg (US)
Wait for a baseline?

Hi, ecogang. I`ve really been digging the interresting stuff you`re doing here and I decided to give it a shot too. Last fillup, I noted the odometer and date so I can see where I am from a starting point. Since then, the only things I`ve done have been checking my tire pressures (one pretty low and one somehow higher than I usually fill the to- huh?) and a few basic HMing techniques. I`m anxious to see what`s going on and try a few minor mods to help fix some of the most basic deficiencies in my ride, but I`m getting impatient with the process. It`s been three weeks and I still haven`t gotten down to a half tank. I have two days off comming up and wouldn`t mind sewing up a quick tonneu cover, "deleting" my one remaining mudflap, or even ttrying some foam rope to plug the gap between the cab and bed of my truck. On the other hand, what`s the fun in improving anything if you don`t know what improvement it gives you? What do you guys think? Wait it out for a few tanks so I can clearly what happens with the first (and probably most helpful) changes? Or just cave and go for it?

Please note: although I usually don`t drive very much, this has been a very loooong tank even by my standards- wish I could claim that as the norm for me, but it ain`t so! Two weeks for a whole tank is more often the case and I sometimes drive my wife`s car and burn up HER gas.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-05-2010, 01:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Red Rabbit - '02 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 38.58 mpg (US)
Im in the same boat, 100 miles on the first tank and its not off the full mark yet. Makes me want to spend the weekend driving around the city just to see the numbers, counterproductive but I'm impatient

How bout some details on what kind of truck you have?

ps, numbers below are an estimate of mileage because I bought the car half full and ran it to empty and guessed lol
Old 11-05-2010, 03:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Haha! Yup, same boat. I guess I could fill up at a half tank like you did, but since I`m doing it more as a sport than anything else, a better baseline would afford me more room to pat myself on the back- I`m sure you know how that goes!

Mine is a 94 Toyota 2WD- 4Cyl, 5 speed, standard cab with no AC or power anything, so it should be about as good as a pickup gets mileage wise. Looks like revised EPA rating of 19/25 MPG. I`ve had it for several years now, but never recorded my mileage.

PS: Don`t spend the weekend driving around the city- since you already have something of a base to go by, better to spend the weekend driving to somewhere with a lower elevation or downwind from home
Old 11-05-2010, 03:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdesj View Post
I`m getting impatient with the process. It`s been three weeks and I still haven`t gotten down to a half tank.
If it's itching, fill up the tank, get the numbers in, and do the tonneau modification next.

Quote:
I have two days off comming up and wouldn`t mind sewing up a quick tonneu cover, "deleting" my one remaining mudflap, or even ttrying some foam rope to plug the gap between the cab and bed of my truck.
I'd say go for it !

Quote:
what`s the fun in improving anything if you don`t know what improvement it gives you?
The main aim is to reduce one's fuel use.

Getting test data to compare before / after mileage isn't what's really important.

Quote:
this has been a very loooong tank even by my standards- wish I could claim that as the norm for me, but it ain`t so!
If it ain't so, make it so
And make the next tank even better.

You'll get better at using less fuel.

I thought I was doing fairly well regarding FE.
Then I joined ecomodder and dropped 10% of my fuel consumption within 2 months.
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post193129

Old 11-05-2010, 08:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Red Rabbit - '02 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 38.58 mpg (US)
You could always go get one of the many gauges out there, I just bought one from a member here and put it in the car after work today (too dark this morning). Got 36mpg on the way home according to the SGII, its a good baseline for me to tighten the nut behind the wheel as I can already see where I was "doing it wrong".
Old 11-06-2010, 12:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Thanks for the replies, all. Okay, I have a plan- I`ll ditch the mudflap and go into town and fetch the material and hardware for the tonneu to give it a shot. If it works as hoped, fill up the tank right away. If something gets in the way or I have trouble with the fabrication (I`ve never installed snaps before- should work just like gromets?), by the time I get it done it should have more miles to go by. Maybe many tanks more.

No SG for my truck and the threads for DIY consumption meters are Greek to me- way beyond my technical ability. Might install a vacuum gauge someday, though. Good luck with your new SG, Schelter.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

RSX2fast4mpg - '02 Acura RSX Type S
90 day: 38.22 mpg (US)

bubbatrucker - '98 Chevrolet K1500
90 day: 18.1 mpg (US)
I think it's a pretty common feeling around here to always want to be testing and improving, but as euromodder says, it's about reducing your consumption. If you're beating the EPA, you're winning. If you beat it by a higher percentage every few months, you're doing it right.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Coasting Down the Peak

Toyauto Pickup - '94 Toyota Pickup 2WD
90 day: 36.32 mpg (US)

Versa Base - '09 Versa Sedan 1.6 Base
Team Nissan
90 day: 41.69 mpg (US)
Patience, Grasshopper.

My Toyota truck was very good for engine off coasting and bump starting. It would also idle along in 5th gear very nicely. The motor was like a tractor motor. However, it is not the most efficient machine compared to other vehicles. Just compare yourself to the EPA numbers, not to small cars.

Making the tank last as long as possible should be one of your goals. How many miles can you squeeze out of a tank? Thats part of the fun.