Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2008, 07:44 AM   #31 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I have seen plenty of sterlings and Tesla engines screaming on you tube but I have not ever seen one running an alternator or a generator. If you have seen this then put a link up. Make sure they are showing their results. Amps, volts, ect......

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-02-2008, 09:24 AM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tracy - '00 vauxhall corsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
What you describe is called compounding.

Compounding can indeed increase eficiency. The old B-29 engine (R-3360 I think) and the Napier Sabre were some of the most efficient engines ever built.

Compounding works well (with some reliability issues) at high engine load, but has no scope for contribution at the low loads used by us MPG seekers. Consider turbo lag. A tirbocharger is a form of compounding where the waste heat engine (the turbo) drives a centrifugal compressor. At a low gas flow and heat rate, the turbo makes almost no boost. At high gasflow rate(high RPM) and high heat rate, it works well enough to require a wastegate to prevent overboost.

For a car, with its very light duty cycle to be able to use compounding the main engine would have to be so underpowered as to be running at high load a high percentage of the time. It ain't worth the effort on a high-MPG car.
so you mean if the engine is propperly sized for the load, like a car that mpg seekers would buy, then it would work. of couse its worth the effort. on the highway my 1.0L engine is at 70% load (estimate) at 60mph.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:38 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,222 Times in 4,649 Posts
33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
You're driving something that's 33% efficient? I'm not willing to believe that.

Last I heard, the best gasoline engine out there was only 20, maybe 25% efficient at its very very best. Diesels, by nature of their combustion cycle, are a little better.

I could be wrong - I'm remembering from ten years ago and I haven't heard anybody give an efficiency rating since then. Then again, my ride is older than that and so are a lot of other folks' cars.

I'd give body parts to hit 33% efficiency.
That's the chemical release energy in Btus before any mechanical losses.About 66% of your fuel's energy goes out the tailpipe, or is lost to the cooling system.Some automobiles have efficiencies less than 20% overall.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:40 AM   #34 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Some more news on the waste heat recovery front:

Waste Heat Recovery System Receives Powertrain Innovation of the Year Award

Quote:
The Paris, France-based developer of a waste heat recovery (WHR) system, heat2power, won the Powertrain Innovation of the Year Award at the Professional Motorsport World Expo in Cologne (11-13 November) with its Thermal Energy Recovery System (TERS). heat2power says that its WHR system can provide fuel savings of 15-35% under all driving conditions at a cost of approximately 30% more than a comparable turbocharged gasoline engine.

Source: Green Car Congress: Waste Heat Recovery System Receives Powertrain Innovation of the Year Award
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 11-21-2008, 11:42 AM   #35 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

CivySi - '03 honda civic SI
90 day: 31.99 mpg (US)
I want to do this but I'm annoyed because I just bought a new raceheader and I dont wanna see that as a waste of money.

though, removing everything on the accessory belt and the crank pulley would sure free up power and let the engine use almost no power at idle. imagine the easy low RPM driving with no accessories on the motor....
Old 11-21-2008, 12:31 PM   #36 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
[...]at a cost of approximately 30% more than a comparable turbocharged gasoline engine.[...]
Looks like the cost will be highly prohibitive, which probably limits the tech to high markup vehicles. It's still a good thing for fuel conservation as a whole.

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...
Reply  Post New Thread