Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 05:33 AM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Alien Observer

highcountryexplorer - '86 Nissan 720 KC 4x4 ST with fiberglass cap
90 day: 21.78 mpg (US)

Elroy - '03 Ford Focus ZX3 w/Zetec DOHC engine
90 day: 32.89 mpg (US)
Politics is where the rubber meets the road? I know you seem to like to talk about things in some kind of scientific vacuum.....

Especially with food...you have to actually make changes.....if you have the leeway to make changes.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
Can't we have just ONE thread from SN961 WITHOUT political rhetoric? This thread was going pretty well before that.

I'm not vegan, though I eat a lot of veggies and have friends who are. Personally, the keyword is moderation and variety. We can't go veggie now, not with two growing kids in the house, and the poor availability of the variety of veggie protein needed to support growing kids locally, but I expect eventually we'll go pescatarian, again. I lived that way for several years.

Forty-six percent of Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years. GALLUP POLL

The Following User Says Thank You to suspectnumber961 For This Useful Post:
Fat Charlie (01-04-2013)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-04-2013, 05:56 AM   #22 (permalink)

Ban GMOs?

GMOs: The ultimate solution

Monsanto claims that GMOs are safe. This was the same comment made by the tobacco companies back in the 40s and early 50s regarding cigarette smoking.

Now we know without a doubt that smoking and lung and throat cancer are kissing cousins. Because GMOs have been around for 15 years or so, with no long-term studies other than Monsanto's being done, we only have Monsanto's word that GMOs are safe.

Fortunately, there have been studies done by Michael Antoniou of Earth Open Source and Dr. Giles-Eric Seralini of the University of Caan in France that say otherwise.

What Antoniou and Seralini have found is that GMOs, which are inundated with pesticides like RoundUp Ready containing glyphosate and 2-4-D, the active ingredient in Agent Orange, create numerous health problems, including birth defects, cancer, neurological imbalances, embryonic deaths, DNA damage, and fetal death. It's not rocket science to understand that when you eat a steady diet of these horrible chemicals, you will suffer disastrous health ramifications despite the fact that the GMO crops are designed to resist the heavy poisoning of the pesticides and herbicides.

So, where does the corruption tie in? Obviously with the politicians.

So niky....put on your school sweater with the big M on it and tell us it ain't so.....?

Forty-six percent of Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years. GALLUP POLL

Old 01-04-2013, 06:49 AM   #23 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
I'm on the seefood diet.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:38 AM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

chrisgerman1983 - '96 chevrolet astro
90 day: 14.02 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
I'm on the seefood diet.
You see food and eat it? I am on that one too, I have just redefined what I consider "food"

Old 01-04-2013, 09:53 AM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspectnumber961 View Post
Politics is where the rubber meets the road? I know you seem to like to talk about things in some kind of scientific vacuum.....

Especially with food...you have to actually make changes.....if you have the leeway to make changes.....
Science doesn't exist in a vacuum. But a factual discussion should exist separate of politics.

Like the way you post stories in a way that paints anything "GMO" bad, as if it were a universal truth.

When the truth is: Crops modified or bred to be resistant to pesticides expose us to more pesticides, which may or may not be bad in varying degrees depending on the food crop and level of exposure.

Going "organic" is a good idea, depending on what food you're switching on, and how much of the pesticide goes into the food, and how bad that pesticide is.

"Genetic Modification" isn't frankenscience. It's simply an extension of the same techniques we've been using for centuries to grow hardier, higher-yielding crops. Just faster. And it has the same pitfalls... namely the higher exposure to pesticides, the lower nutritional yield of over-bred crops, and the increasing overuse of land. But to present this as a new thing and the simple removal of "GMOs" from the food supply as the answer oversimplifies the problem and draws attention away from the real issue: We're eating too much low-nutrition mass-produced garbage.

The Following User Says Thank You to niky For This Useful Post:
chrisgerman1983 (01-04-2013)
Old 01-04-2013, 12:56 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 72.22 mpg (US)

Big, Bad & Flat - '01 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,353 Times in 711 Posts

When ya'll have a little time, watch this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=wnlTYFKBg18

Then, do a little research on your own...

>

The Following User Says Thank You to redneck For This Useful Post:
suspectnumber961 (01-05-2013)
Old 01-05-2013, 01:23 AM   #27 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
I'm not vegan, though I eat a lot of veggies and have friends who are. Personally, the keyword is moderation and variety. We can't go veggie now, not with two growing kids in the house, and the poor availability of the variety of veggie protein needed to support growing kids locally, but I expect eventually we'll go pescatarian, again. I lived that way for several years.
Aren't fava beans and chickpeas available there? Those are a good source of vegetable protein, alongside soybeans. But I wouldn't really incentive you to go vegan or enforce your kids to do so.

About the "pescatarian" deal: maybe I could eventually do so, I see no problem doing that. Kidney beans are a good source of iron, so maybe the absence of red meat wouldn't bother me so much.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:28 AM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Aren't fava beans and chickpeas available there? Those are a good source of vegetable protein, alongside soybeans. But I wouldn't really incentive you to go vegan or enforce your kids to do so.

About the "pescatarian" deal: maybe I could eventually do so, I see no problem doing that. Kidney beans are a good source of iron, so maybe the absence of red meat wouldn't bother me so much.
there is a lot BS out there about protein...one interesting stat, from what I have read and have come to understand that there apparently has never been a case of protein deficiency unless you happen to be starving. I am not sure who started that rumour but I suspect the milk or meat marketing boards had something to do with it.who knows??

Old 01-05-2013, 02:33 AM   #29 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying kurmaster View Post
there is a lot BS out there about protein...one interesting stat, from what I have read and have come to understand that there apparently has never been a case of protein deficiency unless you happen to be starving. I am not sure who started that rumour but I suspect the milk or meat marketing boards had something to do with it.who knows??
It seems to be all matter of how efficient is the organic matter-to-protein conversion ratio.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:36 AM   #30 (permalink)

As far as I know...the difference between hybridization and genetic modification is that hybrids are developed by cross-breeding the plants themselves....whereas.....genetic mods involve inserting foreign genes from other organisms at the cellular (genetic) level...sometimes these other organisms are bacterial (or other animal) in origin for use in plants. For the FrankenSalmon I guess it's animal to animal.

The people pushing the ...low-nutrition mass-produced garbage...are the same ones pushing GMOs...but are not the only ones.

You are afraid that GMOs might get a bad name....IMO they deserve a bad name because they have been pushed on people with no serious underlying research on safety. What INDEPENDENT research that has been done doesn't make them look so good.

The OBVIOUS political dealing to push GM foods isn't real comforting either.

If I choose to reduce my consumption of possible GM foods I now need to avoid most processed foods (good idea anyway)...and look at the numbers on the labels on produce.

As an example....I like to use tomato juice/sauce in my "cooking"....so what are my choices? Tomato juice in a large tin can...a no-no due to the acid food leaching out the BPA that coating the can to reduce leaching of cadmium...etc. I go to spagetti sauces.....all have sugar...most have cottonseed/canola/say/corn GMO over refined oils....most are over salted....though this is packaged in glass.

Politics IS a part of any factual discussion. ALL IS INTERCONNECTED. PERIOD.

Quote:
Science doesn't exist in a vacuum. But a factual discussion should exist separate of politics.

Like the way you post stories in a way that paints anything "GMO" bad, as if it were a universal truth.

When the truth is: Crops modified or bred to be resistant to pesticides expose us to more pesticides, which may or may not be bad in varying degrees depending on the food crop and level of exposure.

Going "organic" is a good idea, depending on what food you're switching on, and how much of the pesticide goes into the food, and how bad that pesticide is.

"Genetic Modification" isn't frankenscience. It's simply an extension of the same techniques we've been using for centuries to grow hardier, higher-yielding crops. Just faster. And it has the same pitfalls... namely the higher exposure to pesticides, the lower nutritional yield of over-bred crops, and the increasing overuse of land. But to present this as a new thing and the simple removal of "GMOs" from the food supply as the answer oversimplifies the problem and draws attention away from the real issue: We're eating too much low-nutrition mass-produced garbage.

The Following User Says Thank You to suspectnumber961 For This Useful Post:
chrisgerman1983 (01-05-2013)
Closed Thread  Post New Thread