Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2013, 10:22 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Plug 'em in and the battery stays warm. Pre-warm 'em while they are still plugged in.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-29-2013, 12:13 AM   #22 (permalink)
Electric MG Midget

I drive mine year round and I don't do anything differently. I live in Colorado, and my garage stays about 40 deg F at night My BMS limits the current I can draw based on the temperature of the cells. It de-rates the peak 500 amps as the temperature drops. I've had a few incidents where this presented a problem. One was at Christmas last year. I was at my son's piano recital and it was 12 deg F when I drove home. I was climbing a hill at 60 mph, and the BMS shut down the car because of the current limits. I wasn't really thinking about it at the time. It took a few minutes before it allowed me to start again. I'm not sure why that happened. I'm now aware that I have to be a little more conservative when accelerating when it's cold. I have a 1500W heater in my car that's wired for high heat at 1150 watts, and low at 375 watts. It's enough to keep it comfortable in the car, not warm, but it is an MG. I do figure that my range is probably reduced by 30% when it is below 40 F. I have enough range for my use so it's not a problem.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:26 AM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
At least with lead acid batteries, heating the batteries with energy from the batteries will still give you an increased range because of the higher output of the warmer batteries, of course if your battery boxes are not insulated you'll loose that heat again and of course it makes sense to heat batteries while plugged in, but that is not always an option.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Golfwagen - '89 Volkswagen Golf mk2
90 day: 107.14 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hat_man View Post
what do EV owners do in the winter?
I go fishing. Lakes are frozen so I can walk to my favorite spot and drill holes to ice. Then some vertical fishing for perch.

More seriously. I drive my EV. I park it outside and it is vulnerable to every possible element. Battery box is insulated and will stay above zero celcius even if it is -30C outside for 24 hours. I plan installing simple heating system for longer storage periods, even though I rarely park my car for longer than two days. I use it every day and charge immediately after use, so batteries are warm before charge starts. After charger has done its thing it doesn't matter that much if batteries are frozen. Voltage sags more but then batteries heat and sag slowly goes away. I've charged frozen battery pack couple of times and have been driving using same LiFE batteries for over 2.5 years.

The Following User Says Thank You to mora For This Useful Post:
thingstodo (09-01-2013)
Reply  Post New Thread