Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2011, 01:25 AM   #61 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Cop car idling.... Based onthe ones I've worked on but its been a while....

20A for the radio.
35A for the computer system (That keeps the radio hot...)
30A Electric oversize fan to keep the car from overheating.
50A for the lighting he's got on so he and you don't get hit.
15A for the AC.
20A more for the radio amplifier if he's out of range of the primary radio grid.

How long you suppose the car would still start after being left with this stuff on. LOL

We used to install 250A special stacked alternators.. Pair of 150A that were coupled together.

Dave

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-12-2011, 09:17 AM   #62 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
It's similar in most other states. Sure it's legal, but only under the very limited conditions that the law states.

Try traveling for miles on the shoulder and see if your friendly cop approves of it ...
Right, but so what? Who said anything about driving on the shoulder for miles? How long does it take for a faster car to pass? How long does it take to slow down for a turn? Certainly not miles.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Old 07-12-2011, 11:08 AM   #63 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
Right, but so what? Who said anything about driving on the shoulder for miles?
You said "I use this regularly, as do other motorists."

That suggests that you are using it as a lane for travel, for some duration.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:47 AM   #64 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
regularly <> continuously

Move over, let traffic pass, move back into the lane. Better mpg there than on the shoulder so why stay in the rough?

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles

Last edited by PaleMelanesian; 07-12-2011 at 11:59 AM..
Old 07-14-2011, 11:46 PM   #65 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

As for cop cars and efficiency, check out this article: (can't post links yet) cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39994]NYPD to take delivery of 50 Chevy Volts - CleanMPG Forums(can't post links yet)

Also as to the whole idea about cops, judges and revenue, the state police in my state actually say on their website that the highway patrol's revenue doesn't come from tickets. As the OP stated he was on a highway exit ramp (I think) I don't see how that particular argument applies. A police officer would not have pulled him over for the sake of writing a ticket and making money, it just doesn't work that way. Now I don't know about specific counties or cities, but that is how the state police operate.

Now to comment on the actual subject matter intended by the OP. Since I started hypermiling and driving a little more slowly I've been getting some more interesting reactions from other drivers. Pretty much the same stuff as everyone else, raised fingers and fists, questioning gestures, and irate/erratic driving. I get passed a lot even when no passing lane exists.

At this point I have started to just assume I'll be passed and I drive my passenger side as close to the right of my lane as possible. Usually it encourages a pass and it's somewhat safer I guess. I'm always interested to see the reactions of people in their cars, especially since I used to drive aggressively. Now I get to see what it was like for all the defensive drivers I used to pass for no reason.

Just a few days ago I got passed on the left on a 5-lane road and received the venerable raised fist award. Several blocks ahead, I was right next to this wonderful average american driver, so I honked, waved and smiled I'm glad to have seen this post as I never would have thought to put a sign up in my rear window. That is a really smart, good and defensive idea.

Reply  Post New Thread