Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2018, 04:57 PM   #21 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosieuk View Post
What *is* that? It looks like a Ssangyong Odious mated with a Nissan Navara..
That's a Ssangyong Actyon Sports, the pick-up version of the Actyon which is also not any beauty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Darc View Post
This one it's quite uggly to me :

It may not be so good-looking, but its design is in fact quite smart. Hadn't it been for the road performance, it could evetually be considered better than a Beetle/Fusca in most of the circumstances.

workaround ideas to discuss among friends: What's so great about the Citroën 2CV compared to the Beetle?

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr a.k.a. Kamikaze: Fusca ou Citroën 2CV: qual projeto é de fato mais genial? - Português

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-16-2018, 09:30 PM   #22 (permalink)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,802 Times in 939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
A foreshadowing of the VW XL-1.
The XL1 was produced in such limited numbers that they were all snapped up, even at its astronomical price. I think there was a difference of intention there between VW and Honda--Honda would have liked to sell more. It's why they keep bringing the Insight back, even if it's in name only with a different formula each time.

My vote for design failure: Any vehicle with DRL/turn signal housings above separate headlights (looking at you, pre-2019 Cherokee, Hyundai Kona, Nissan Juke). U-G-L-Y, you ain't got no alibi.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:48 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,585 Times in 7,069 Posts
Quote:
Any vehicle with DRL/turn signal housings above separate headlights
Can we carve out an exception for the 1959 Chevrolet?

http://tireburn.com/wp-content/uploa...Rat-Rod-11.jpg

Citroen 2CV

Fungible as the Beetle. Here's a rear-engined one:

Old 09-17-2018, 01:58 AM   #24 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
How do we make Google not be evil again?

They already censor/demonitize Youtube content that has nothing but facts presented, fire engineers who wanted nothing but to address a concern in a logical and reasonable way that Google brought to him in mandatory diversity training, and they provide such darn useful and convenient tools.

Get your tinfoil hat; my daughter is sleeping to rain sounds by Google Home as we speak.

I don't like the things above that Google foolishly did, but I also defend the right for a company to hire or fire anyone they want for any reason they want, or to allow or disallow content for any reason they want. If I don't like it, I am free to start a less evil business, or patronize other less evil businesses.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 09-17-2018, 02:25 AM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post

They already censor/demonitize Youtube content...
Well, it's a start :-) My life would be slightly improved if I could do a Google search without the first page or two being nothing but YouTube links.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:07 AM   #26 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Well, it's a start :-) My life would be slightly improved if I could do a Google search without the first page or two being nothing but YouTube links.
Although a painful extra step, you could just enter the -youtube switch to exclude youtube results. Another option would be to use a different search engine. Bing.com has been accused of having too similar search results as Google before, but perhaps they are less likely to link to youtube.

freebeard is always using duckduckgo. No idea what those results look like since I like Google knowing everything I type (just trying to trigger disgust from freebeard) :P

Old 09-17-2018, 12:23 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,585 Times in 7,069 Posts
Quote:
The process has already started, with a Presidential Exectutive order.

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Executive_Order_13818

Eric Schmidt bolted for the door the next day. I can remember when he was installed over Page and Brin, their so-called 'adult supervision'.

jamesqf — His point was internal to Youtube, not the Google results.

The Youtube landing page changes slowly, while the submissions are through the roof. From 2015:
Quote:
Almost exactly a year ago, YouTube announced that there were 300 hours of video content uploaded to the site each and every minute.

That’s the equivalent of 1000 days worth of video every hour. Good luck keeping up with your favorite creators.
http://tubularinsights.com/hours-min...oaded-youtube/

Last edited by freebeard; 09-17-2018 at 12:35 PM..
Old 09-17-2018, 01:50 PM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Renault - '06 Renault Megane II
90 day: 38.41 mpg (US)
My disadvantage was how I had Skoda Octava with VW 1.4 122 hp FSI Turbo engine. On the way it burned like a dragon at the beginning before the calibration of the meter it burned an average of 7l/100 km, and after the calibration of the meter it burned 8l/100 km. And she took oil without interruption. Calibration of the meter consisted in improving the distance of kilometers on the correct computer, because the factory error was about 14%. And then false average burning understated by the computer in the group of VW cars.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:57 PM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman455 View Post
The XL1 was produced in such limited numbers that they were all snapped up, even at its astronomical price. I think there was a difference of intention there between VW and Honda--Honda would have liked to sell more. It's why they keep bringing the Insight back, even if it's in name only with a different formula each time.

My vote for design failure: Any vehicle with DRL/turn signal housings above separate headlights (looking at you, pre-2019 Cherokee, Hyundai Kona, Nissan Juke). U-G-L-Y, you ain't got no alibi.
Here's one - inboard indicators that you can't see from the side.

Another - front indicators shoved next to the fog lights (Ford Kuga I'm looking at you).

Yet another - LED array taillights that are tiny on huge 4x4 but "make up for it" by being eyeball weldingly bright.

Those bloody rear indicators that phase in the direction of turn. They're actually a good idea - but cretinous Audi owners - they're not new. Chrysler cars & others had them in the 60s with incandescent bulbs and relays the size of your head. They're about as new as petroleum. Stop smugging about them.

LED array taillight and DRLs that cannot be fixed/repaired - and cost eye-watering amounts to replace. Oh look - I can buy LEDs for a light fitting that uses BA7S bulbs that haven't been around since Ringo Starr was talented - and a set cos me £2 - bit cheaper than your £400 for a new DRL, or £10 for LED BA15D/BA15S pairs - pretty cheap against £500 to replace a BMW rear cluster.

I could go on - but one thing that really bugs me is people whose headlights appear to have been aimed by Eddie the Eagle or that think that driving like Colin McCrae with one headlight out is a fantastic idea.. That should be an *instant* 9 points on the license.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:33 AM   #30 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

I wonder what roads at night will look like in the future when all cars are driving themselves, and only marker lights are on to warn pedestrians, with no driving lights flooding the roads?

Reply  Post New Thread