Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Saving@Home
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2011, 10:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
The old tandy laptop like PCs were x86 compatible and ran on a couple AA batteries.

MY PII full tower uses about 60watts for the whole tower and all, my old 486 used only about 20 watts tower and all, my tandy 1000 RLX was around 8 watts for the whole system.

So yes older can be better for power consumption, especially when you factor in the system really was off when you hit the kill switch, Speed can have a rather dramatic cost and the Atoms really don't normally as a full system draw only a watt or two, typically at full load they are upwards of 60watts up to 80 watts for the whole system (not including monitor). Where the ATOM shines is when it is idle it can clock down to a couple watts, just not when in use.

And in reality I can stand most any system speed for the task, really 300mhz is sufficient, for certain aspects a high speed is nice but definately unnecessary. I used to run the system on a 486DX2 66mhz setup and it ran fine, but I didn't do the extra graphics then, and it took a bit longer to look up a first or last name. What I do really need is a fair amount of memory, 256mb helps much more than clock speed on the software concerned, more than that and the software crashes, less and it runs more slowly.

Thank You For The Suggestions
It looks like the AMD Geode is the most likely to come in a flavor that will tolerate Windows 98 software, My heraldry and name meaning software simply doesn't run under 2000 or higher, when I hacked it into Windows XP I couldn't get some of the functions to work and I can't get my BMP printer to function. (which I need to distort and fit text instantly onto any type of artwork without 5-10minutes of photoship work)

As for laptops, I would have to then carry a 2nd monitor as our booth layout simply wouldn't allow me to quickly, easily and safely show the customer the poem, information or image. Also the laptop is very very likely to get damaged, we are loaded to the ceiling when we go and the PC needs a good tough case to survive the trip

VMWare doesn't seem to work, my hardware dongle really doesn't like it and VMWare tends to break many of the printing tricks I need to use, it also increases the level of complexity since my folks will be using it without me there.

For a business VMWare simply is a no go and more trouble than its worth. It is far easier using the real hardware than doing it the hard way.

Ryan

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-31-2011, 11:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
As for laptops, I would have to then carry a 2nd monitor as our booth layout simply wouldn't allow me to quickly, easily and safely show the customer the poem, information or image. Also the laptop is very very likely to get damaged...
Not true. What you need to do is think of the laptop as the system. You keep it closed, maybe under a counter (or wherever you'd normally keep your desktop unit), and plug in external monitor, keyboard, & mouse (or use wireless for those last two). The laptop is probably more rugged than any desktop, lighter, and more power-efficient, because it has been designed with those qualities in mind.

Also, most laptop processors have a sleep mode which essentially turns the CPU off when there's no work to be done. I use Linux, so I don't know how this is controlled on a Windows system, but you might look at the Powertop utility for ideas on minimizing power use.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:16 AM   #13 (permalink)
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
Agree with jamesqf... If you've been able to transport a display plus printer before without destroying them, the laptop would do fine. Regardless if you get a desktop-style system with an external monitor or a laptop with an external monitor, you still have to schlepp around an external monitor. Benefit of the laptop is that you don't always have to connect that external monitor if you want to do a quick check on your system or have some data to input or want to show a customer something real quick or ... etc.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:33 AM   #14 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
look up "gumstix"

They're pocket PC's based on the Mini-ITX platform, but taken to a much smaller extent.

The "full system", as it were, is no larger than a pack of cigarettes, until you add your peripherals.

One of those will have similar system capacity to some of the 90's computers that were capable of running games like Doom and the like, but will still be capable of multi-tasking due to newer technology. They also don't require cooling. Simply placing the system in open air is enough. Occasionally, if it gets too warm, blowing lightly on the CPU will bring the temps back into range.

Something else you might consider is a human powered generator system for your trade shows where batteries are a problem. The lanterns that you wind up which have self contained batteries could be modified to pass current rather than produce light, and between customers, you could get a light workout by cranking the handle.

The gumstix PC systems run on DC naturally, and an AC adapter can be purchased separately, similar to a laptop charger, so the lantern and a DC/DC converter should be more than sufficient to power the <20w models, not including your monitor and periphery.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:17 AM   #15 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
fyi, my old toshiba 4200 satellite pro (400mhz, 327meg ram, parallel port) draws about 40-50 watts (not great, but it includes display) and runs on a simple 12v power connector.

Last edited by dcb; 02-01-2011 at 09:55 AM..
Old 02-01-2011, 09:54 AM   #16 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

I also measured my compac EVO N600c at 20-25 watts.
it is a 1.066 ghz processor, 730meg ram, parallel port, running XP but would have no problem with 98 I'm sure. Needs 15-24 volts (or an inverter)
Old 02-01-2011, 12:56 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I can do better than that: Lenovo T61, 2.2 GHz dual-core, 2 GB RAM, in my usual just-editing-code mode runs around 17-20 watts. This is with external keyboard & mouse and the notebook display off, driving a large display that's separately powered.

Of course when I'm running test code (things like seismic tomography) that does serious number-crunching, it goes up to something like 60-80 watts, but that's not at all frequent. But this is a 3 year old system, too.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:30 PM   #18 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

yes, but my n600c was free so I win Though they can be had for $50ish. You are probably looking at $350 to $400 for a used Lenovo T61
Old 02-01-2011, 01:42 PM   #19 (permalink)
Polymorphic Modder

2006 DaCivic Hybrid - '06 Honda Civic Hybrid
90 day: 45.16 mpg (US)
I use a HP thinclient "Neoware" purchased off Ebay for $60. It runs my magicjack, and eventually wil run the house smart system. Has windows xp embedded software. There are alot of hacks on the internet for thin clients using different operating systems.

It claims to only use 13 watts but I have not checked it. It has been running fine for a year now.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:12 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
I'm thirding the laptop idea. There are a lot of refurb atoms going for ~$200 right now and they only use ~10+W on average. Just plug in a mouse, keyboard, and monitor. You could also go for a VIA C7D combo for ~$60 if you already have a good PS, DDR2 ram, HD, and a case, but it uses ~2x the power and if you don't then it would probably cost almost as much.

Reply  Post New Thread