Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2023, 05:48 PM   #121 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
It took two days, but I replaced the hasp on the shed!

I went to work on my car, but the first step was to clean the mating surface for the water pump, and that seems like something that should have been diagrammed, but there was not a single illustration!
I came in to look up the location and figured that I did not have the time before my client, so I made a late lunch.
Amazon said that the new hasp to replace the one I broke on the shed arrived the day before yesterday, but I never saw it, so I tried to track it down, and asked Mom about it.
She said that she never saw it, but when I kept talking about it, she asked my brother where he put some unknown package.
I found it on my bed.
Ever since I busted the hasp, I have shoved a 2x4 against the door to hold it closed, which usually works, but I wanted to fix it.
I had already filled in the holes from the original hasp, but while I did not have a problem drilling holes for the staple right where the old holes were, only one hole for the actual hasp went where it was supposed to.
I think the toothpicks I used to fill the hole were harder than the door material and the drill wandered, so I filled in 2/3 holes.
I used a hair dryer for a couple of minutes, but it did not seem to dry much.
The doors don’t line up, indicating the foundation settled (sure!) and I didn’t want to deal with it, so I figured that I would add it to the list for Mom’s original handyman. My floor jack was still out back, so I found a 2x4 that fit and jacked up the door to line up with the others, but it wouldn’t line up once I removed the jack, and I shouldn’t mess up the replacement hasp.
Today I jacked up the 4x4 on that corner and there was about a ½” gap in the front. I cut an old piece of MDF that came with the house the same size as a cinder block, but I couldn’t find my circular saw, so I clamped it to the picnic table, and used my jigsaw for the second time.
I jacked up the shed a little more, slid in the piece of MDF, lowered the shed, and the doors lined up!
There is a big gap on the bottom of the left doors, which probably needs attention, though!
It can shift all kinds of ways, but if the doorway is wider at the bottom than the top then it sounds like the doorway isn’t square.
Can there be another problem?
I was actually writing this in Word, and it harassed me about every contraction, but I keep missing letters, and then I would hit [ctrl][backspace] to fix it, spell it wrong again, delete the word again, and the second time it would delete the space in front of the word, which it did not do the first time.
Since it did not do that the first time I would write the next word, which did not have the space t needed, so I changed to my Chinese knockoff, and I am still dropping all kinds of letters.
It looks like I am having a stroke.

The spellcheck on the Chinese knockoff did not work very conveniently, so I moved it back, and Word was skipping errors! They had broken red lines, but it went right past them!

Also, I used a document that I use for TradeWars, and TradeWars does not use Word-standard grammar, so even though I highlighted the non-TradeWars section, it ignored that and started with the very first TradeWars thing, so I needed to move the non-TradeWars thing to the very beginning.

[deep breath]

[sings a song from "the Animaniacs"]

I opened a new document and am trying to type carefully, but I don’t have the time to type carefully, I have a million things to do, and 47 days to do them!
When I was replacing the trim (which I never finished; where did that last board go?!) I bought a big box of nails that were too big. I used them for the first window, but bought another box for the second, and now I have 9.9 pounds of nails that I will probably never use.
I grabbed one of the oversized ones and used it to start the last two holes. They lined up, I drilled them, put in the screws, and needed to force the hasp closed.

When I saw the swivel staple I figured that it would be better than the stationary one that was originally on the shed. When Mom and Dad moved in the previous owner left something going through the staple to keep the door closed, but you can just swivel the staple.

With that bend in the hasp to accommodate the swiveling staple I needed to shove the hasp in order to swivel the staple.

It seems like it would work better if it were flat like for the non-swiveling hasp.

Now I can fix the 2002 Civic?!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	41sZMoqM9xL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	33851  
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-03-2024, 09:56 PM   #122 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I drove up twice in two weeks, but my family tells me I can't drive up to fix this Civic

I always try to drive up and take care of the house, hoping to finally take care of enough that I feel that I can fix my car, but since this will be the last weekend before school starts, and Mom finally started talking about selling the house, I wanted to take advantage of it.

Of course, everything is my fault, and I was supposed to clean up after two other adults while working two jobs and getting into grad school.

I had only seen one mouse and I put down a trap, but it wasn't enough.

I put down another trap two weeks ago and it didn't seem to do anything.

I put down two dozen traps several days ago, but haven't been able to return to see how effective they were.

My sister keeps saying that we need to get rid of "My" piles of wood because they are somehow connected to the mice.

I bought the wood to build the wheelchair ramp for Mom's dying friend, but Mom told me not to build it right when I was finally able to get started.

I built the greenhouse just because I already had $1,000 of lumber.

The wood is against the back fence of a 7,500-8,000-square foot property, which is probably a sizable difference for animals only 2" long, not counting the tail.

I brought back all of the 2x6es and my old loft bed, but we already didn't get back until after 01, and I still needed to drop off my fiancée, so I got home even later.

I believe there are 7 untouched 4x4s, which would cost $87.91 from Home Depot.

I know there is more wood that I haven't used, plus what I have used, that could be utilized for some project or just burned.

If I ever had the time, I would have put it on the curb, posted it on Facebook Marketplace, and said "Make me an offer."

Anyone offering at least $20 would get it, but it is "My" mess, and my sister wants to get rid of it because obviously it contributes to the mice problem all of the way across a good-sized yard.

Nevermind that Mom had too much food and then left all of it.

What have the mice been eating?

I don't know, but apparently it's my fault.

Mom refuses to pay rent and I am trying to get more student loans to keep a roof over our head, but I am wrong for trying to spend a couple of hours working on a car I have had for 20 months so I can sell it for a couple thousand dollars.

I wanted to drive up yesterday. I drove to the North Scottsdale VA for labs and it was closer to Show Low. I just needed to take Shea to Fountain Hills and then the highway back, but I hadn't slept well, didn't grab warm clothing, my travel bag, or anything, and then I grabbed breakfast and waited for the Dollar Tree in the nicest neighborhood in which I have ever seen a Dollar Tree to open.

I reviewed this thread and finally figured out where I left off, but my radio cut out 2 minutes before the store, which seemed perfectly normal, opened.

I couldn't start the engine.

When Mom killed my battery having the light, radio, and vent on for an hour while my brother refused to leave Winco I bought a jump pack, but the battery was dead.

I charged it, put it in my glove box, connected it yesterday, and drove home.

I figured that whether I drove home or to Show Low, my battery would be adequately charged upon arrival, but I would rather deal with battery problems down here.

I am tempted to rent a Penske and dolly, wake up my brother early, drive up, load my tools and Civic parts into the truck, hook up the car, drive down, and back the 2002 into the garage, but there seem to be too many problems with this plan.

It would cost $192 to rent the truck and I guess that I would need to drop off the Honda, go back to the first location, pick up my Camry, tow it to the second location, drop it, turn in the truck, and have them get angry at me for driving 300+ miles.

Uhaul would charge $65, plus $1.09 per mile for 312 miles totaling $405.

I observe at my new clinical tomorrow from 0845-1 or something and then from 0845-1800 or something on Friday.

The Penske near me that opens earliest closes at 6 on Friday, so maybe that could work, although I would need to find one near the clinic and then drive the Penske home.

How much gas would a 16' Penske use hauling a 2,500-pound car over 300 miles?

Mom said the neighbor was asking about buying it, but unless he offers $2,000 as-is, well, what choice do I have?
Old 01-04-2024, 07:09 PM   #123 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Mom said the neighbor was asking about buying it, but unless he offers $2,000 as-is, well, what choice do I have?
Admit that you are never going to fix it, take whatever he offers, be rid of another problem, and have some money in your pocket.
Old 01-04-2024, 07:33 PM   #124 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
There's something new every time I walk downtown. There is a storefront new this last Fall for this NGO: https://friendsofthechildren.org/locations

The sign said Fr1ends for Ch1ldren and the windows were painted up and said '[helping/making?] kids talk back'. They target speech and eating disorders.

Is this a legitimate come-on? Why is their DBA substituted with leet-speak?

I'm starting to think I should have sold the Baja Bug and held onto the diesel Dasher. The XFi is no freeway flyer like the Dasher was.

Reply  Post New Thread