Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2011, 09:33 AM   #11 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Rick: right, I forgot about the "regular" Insight owners. I mistakenly assume that anyone interested in the vehicle is primarily after efficiency/low emissions.

Oh, and road debris will just hit my grille block. The license plate will be incorporated into it. (Not yet fabricated, but on the list).

Bob: I was aware of the Prius Yahoo groups being the most consistently technical and "serious". (You know it's serious when moderator approval of new accounts is required.) I haven't heard of any Insight Yahoo group equivalents.

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-21-2011, 11:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Rick: right, I forgot about the "regular" Insight owners. I mistakenly assume that anyone interested in the vehicle is primarily after efficiency/low emissions.

Oh, and road debris will just hit my grille block. The license plate will be incorporated into it. (Not yet fabricated, but on the list).
I kinda did too -- it's not really a "performance machine", but some have taken another view. I'm just trying to imagine the sound of auto-stop and start with a performance exahaust

I know hybrids have more of a technical/modification discussion here, but there may be (dare I say) a market for technique talk here. There are so few 2nd Generation Insights on the road compared to the Priuses, that getting advice is not as frequent.

From what I understand, Honda built a break-in period for both the engine and IMA system to around 20K miles -- which is where most people start seeing great numbers. After my first oil change at 11K (I followed the onboard reminder, and was considered "on time"). So, I started getting around 55-60 MPG on the most recent tank, which is substantially higher than the 40's I usually get. I've really driven this tank carefully, so fingers-crossed that I can break 55 (I know "super hypermilers" can do that in their sleep, but I'm still learning when compared to driving an automatic gasser). We're taking our first road trip in it soon, so we'll see how it does on the Interstate (not so good generally).

About the road debris (that is so common with us for some reason) -- it was a heavy piece of solid plastic that could have triggered an airbag sensor if hit in the right spot (and would have destroyed a grille block, etc). The plate and holder "accordioned" similar to running into a parking garage post. When that orange object came at me, I actually ducked and braked thinking it would enter the cabin. The aerodynamics forced it up and over the car after the impact (thankfully).

-Rick

_
_
Old 04-23-2011, 12:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
2000 Honda Insight

I'm there often. It's the most strongly knit and respectful culture I've seen, at least amongst the 1st Gen forum, the 2nd Gen section forum is newer so it feels like other forums, a little more in every direction as people figure out the car and new owners step in daily. I'm sure after awhile things will change for the 2nd Gen forum as a few enthusiasts who develop a high MPG driving style share their stuff but it isn't happening there yet for them, but at the same time those drivers might rather be in a 1st Gen or a completely different car. The only hybrid I would consider is the 1st Gen Insight otherwise I'd be going the direction of the best fuel economy car with a back seat I could find in decent shape and a low price. That's a bit beside the point though of MPG driving style and car choice though.

After asking pretty much everyone I could about it, it seems that because Wayne G started his own site, I think that the people running the site thought he was trying to pull all of the members over, I'm not sure if he was kicked or asked to leave but that's how I understand it.

A few threads have been deleted for the MIMA stuff but since the IMA warranties are not so new anymore that sort of attitude is going away, it is no longer 'one thread for all MIMA or your thread is locked' anymore.

It is a good place although there is one nazi moderator there who closes accounts if someone mentions something that might remove the ULEV emissions rating from their car. The thread was about modifying the engine to improve MPG and he had a plan but then the mod decided to give a 'none of this here' and then that member left. ...since then though, it seems he let the Turbo thread where the entire exhaust including cats(maybe just one but I think both) was/were removed and nothing was said. The thread later got locked though because the guy who had it done to his car got in a bickering match with the company he paid to do the turbo job. Seemed to be a bad communication thing the whole way through, real shame, but that thread really needed to go because nothing new was coming of it.

It is good culture, worth joining and you'll keep up on maintenance tips, common issues(its a reliable car though, don't get me wrong), and driving style, mods, etc.

Not sure if this answers your questions, I put more bad than good into my 'review' of the site but its a great place and there aren't that many posts in the 1st gen forum so it isn't too hard to keep up if you want to read every thread, which I've done for about 3 years now, with occasional visits before then.

So in short, mod threads don't really get banned anymore, just avoid threads of 'I'm removing my cat' or 'I'm going to kill my ULEV' status and I think you have nothing to worry about.
The Following User Says Thank You to MN Driver For This Useful Post:
MetroMPG (04-23-2011)
Old 04-23-2011, 01:45 PM   #14 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro

Quote:
Not sure if this answers your questions
Yup - just what I was looking for. Thanks for the additional info.

EcoModder
Old 04-23-2011, 01:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
2000 Honda Insight

I meant to say closes THREADS, not accounts. Big difference. It's actually rare to see a thread get closed and usually its when a thread turns into a flame war, which happens rarely but every site has that issue, its the nature of forums. I wouldn't expect many mod topic threads to be closed, I wouldn't worry about it.

In the end, different sites hold different purposes. Advantages to single vehicle enthusiast sites bring together the camaraderie of ownership and a working together when it comes to problem solving, mpg, or other stuff specific to one car. I've always liked car-specific forums and am part of IC and read the other Insight forum that I know of but I can't reply there so IC comes to the top for Insight specific forums.

This site is great because it covers the general stuff, along with modifications that could fit any car and brings together the world of many different vehicles. It's why I'm part of both, along with other forums, whether its financial forums, housing, or just general social gathering type stuff. Friendly community in both places, and of course many others whatever the main topic may be.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
5 Gears of Fury

Spunky - '90 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 35.56 mpg (US)
I checked out their site, and to be honest I'd much rather be a part of Ecomodder than that one. Allowing people to have discussions about more "extreme" ideas is where a lot of good, less extreme ideas come from. I am a big boy, if someone suggests a possibly bad idea, I can decide for myself if I should try it, I don't need a moderator doing it for me. If what we were doing was an exact science, we wouldn't need to be discussing it. But what we do requires imagination and creativity, and you can't moderate those and still have them be effective. If someone makes a bad suggestion, others can respond, that's why they are forums, everyone has an equal voice. Sometimes it is better to hear why something won't work than why something is a good idea. Just my 2 cents. /rant.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:03 AM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I suppose as the IC current Admin I better chip in here.

Sadly the IC forum was sold from under the members noses several years ago by the then owner to the autoforums group
All the then moderators except me threw in the towel, but such was the wealth of info on the site I though we should continue and make the best of it.

I stayed and was the only mod/admin for a while until Cobb voluntereed to help mainly with the I2 section.

ASFAIK the site owners rarely visit or post except to advertise stuff.

Most topics can now be discussed openly inc mima and exhaust mods. It's upto the end user to make sure whatever he does is legal in his locality. It's an international site with a large following.

One subject still off limits is forcing IMA/odbii codes to obtain warranty work as that amounts to a deliberate fraud or gross abuse of Honda Goodwill etc at the very least.

I've never banned anyone, I've closed a few threads when flame wars start but that's about it. I suppose autoforums might ban people but I'm not aware of any who have been.

Feel free to join in Peter
Old 05-02-2011, 07:19 AM   #18 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro

Hi Peter -

Thanks for the background info & perspective - and for continuing to shepherd the site. (It is a great resource, as you say. Bit of an understatement there.)

BTW, I was a big fan of your work with the solar van even before you jumped into Insight modding!

cheers-
Darin

EDIT / PS: I'm sure I'll show up there... eventually ... once I get the car on the road. (TMFP! Too Many * Projects!)

EcoModder
Reply  Post New Thread