Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2018, 08:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Where can I find a timing cover gasket for my 1999 Honda Accord?

I am replacing the timing belt and the only secondary problem that I found was that the timing cover gasket was falling apart. I went to O'Reilly's, told the guy that they did not show it in-stock, but asked if they had anything else that would work.

"What make and model?"
[...]
"We do not show it in stock."
"What do you have that could work?"
"No idea."
"Would gasketmaker work?"
"Oh no."

I went across the street to AutoZone, told that guy the exact same thing, he asked what car I drove, apparently saw for himself that they did not carry it, and told me that gasketmaker would work.
I live a couple of hours from the nearest Honda dealership. The correct part is: https://smile.amazon.com/Genuine-118...=11812-PAA-800

$30.26 with free shipping, but it would not arrive here before the second, even if I paid $30 for shipping. The only other parts store around here is Napa and I have not tried them yet, but I am zero for two so far.
It is basically extremely narrow weatherstripping, but I imagine that normal weatherstripping would not be able to handle engine temperatures.
I tried Permatex, but there is not any way to reinstall the cover without smearing gasketmaker all over everything, and getting Permatex on the balancing belt, pulleys, and everything else makes my spider-sense tingle.
Do you guys know how I can fix this properly before Monday?
Thank you very much!

Last edited by Xist; 06-27-2018 at 08:34 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-27-2018, 09:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,555 Posts
Seems to me you either order it and it gets there when it gets there, or you pay stealership fees.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Gasket maker would work. Maybe even use a little engine oil to slick surface you do not want it to stick to so it will be useful again someday without making it again.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 06-28-2018, 04:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Get a sheet of gasket material, and make your own gasket. Should be able to get it at any parts place, though it's been years since I bought some. Don't make that many gaskets, but it's useful for small engines & stuff that you don't easily find at regular parts places.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurcher

Maybe some other parts store carries "Dorman OE Solution" stuff. Dorman has a cover & gasket kit. Maybe there is a store with that thing in stock closer than the Honda dealer. The whole thing is about $57
Or you can get the gasket maker and apply it carefully to the cover so it's smooth and slightly bulgy. Let is set up for a few hours. Maybe put just a smear of the stuff on the place where it mounts on the engine when you put it on. You should be able to get it together without gouging out the new "gasket."

You could use plain old weather strip, and replace it when you have the correct part and time. It ought to last a few weeks at least.
-mort
Old 07-03-2018, 02:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Have you tried rockauto? They have a huge array of parts.

The Following User Says Thank You to mattrod For This Useful Post:
samwichse (07-03-2018)
Reply  Post New Thread