Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2015, 01:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I removed mention of the head gasket from Craigslist.

UFO, how long ago did you sell your Subaru?

I think that I will see if I can get the dealership to inspect Bacon. They would have charged me twenty dollars to do that before I started all of these repairs. I had wanted to post scans of an inspection report (and Carfax), but ran out of money.
That sounds like the best approach. I like the idea of having a reputable shop supply an evaluation; that certainly should boost the confidence of the typical used-car buyer.

I sold my '98 Outback back in 2007. Although it was a good car, I loved the torque of the 2.5 liter 4 valve engine in the Colorado mountains, and it got what I considered very good highway mileage (high 20s at 70-75mph), it overheated due to a defective thermostat. After that it started drinking coolant and never stayed cool -- fearing it needed new heads I bought a used engine off eBay for $1000, installed it and sold the car for $5000.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-18-2015, 01:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
No offense to anyone, do you buy a car that had a head gasket job done by a reputable shop?
Well, considering that the one time I had major work (timing belt/chain) done by a dealer (which I'm assuming would count as a reputable shop, no?), I barely made the 20 miles to home before the engine blew up, I know which I'd choose :-)
Old 09-18-2015, 02:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
James, that was worse than my experience, but I was back about a week later, apparently the tensioner went out, but they charged me $45 to read the CEL, which they claim to do for free, wanted to do a valve lash, and charge a crazy amount to replace my spark plugs and wires, which I did in the parking lot. The store manager of another location told me to go back and have them check the timing belt and they fixed it for free.

I removed the timing belt when I replaced the head gasket. I have not had any problems, so thus far: Xist 1, Pep Boys 0.

That is not the only "reputable" shop with which I refuse to do business, based on bad experience.

Hopefully, not too many people create false paper trails.
Old 09-20-2015, 12:50 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
I think the magic words in a car ad are "as is, where is". Set expectations and let them come see it.

When I sold my previous car, the hard part was dropping the price $1-200 a month. It went for about half what I was asking so it took a long time. And then it went to someone who couldn't get it in reverse.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:26 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Well, considering that the one time I had major work (timing belt/chain) done by a dealer (which I'm assuming would count as a reputable shop, no?), I barely made the 20 miles to home before the engine blew up, I know which I'd choose :-)
If the dealers were as good as you implied, there would be little reason for independents, who don't have a sales department, or 100%+ parts markups, just their reputation.

One dealership I worked for had me do all of their warranty rattles. Another had me braze the broken piece back on the engine block that the idiot tech had broken off trying to install a (probably wrong) starter motor.

The average dealer tech makes less than 25% of the labor they charge, to say nothing about the huge parts markup. Recipe for dishonesty.

I probably would not want to work on the cars of most members here, but in most cases NASA rocket scientists were fine. I got real good at culling out those who made interactions difficult or impossible, like the gent who accused me of being the cause of everything wrong with his 150k car after I did him a favor and replaced a light bulb for free.

regards
mech
Old 09-21-2015, 07:38 AM   #16 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
the gent who accused me of being the cause of everything wrong with his 150k car after I did him a favor and replaced a light bulb for free.
Everybody's favorite, the "Sinceya."

Sinceya changed my oil, I've had a scraping sound in the rear. Sinceya rotated my tires, the engine's been running rough...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following User Says Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
Xist (09-21-2015)
Reply  Post New Thread