Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2012, 08:31 AM   #11 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
I had a friend who had one of the first ones. It was a hatch, not much smaller than my Matrix. I'm not sure if he had any problems with it. I do know that its one of the most popular sub-compacts right now sales wise.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-26-2012, 08:45 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Consumer Reports like the Versa in their frequency of repair records, comparable to the Toyota Matrix as far as owner feedback. I like the Nissan CVT and Nissan is agressively discounting the 2011 Models. They were offering a 120k warranty on the CVT itself.

regards
Mech
Old 01-26-2012, 09:35 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sounds like the sunfire treated you pretty well.

I wouldn't rule out a newer one or a cobalt.

Is the sunfire/cobalt as good as a civic?

No. Not quite.

But, the civic and corolla suffer from a long history of being outstanding cars. I say suffer, because, to the used car buyer on a budget (you), you get very little financial incentive to go used. GM, OTOH has a long history of building small junk. Much of it is deserved, but, IMO, the last gen ecotec powered cars have been pretty damn solid, but, they still suffer from their predecessor's poor reputation when it comes to resale value.

So, I would look long and hard at the GM compacts, ford focus and dodge neon. I believe the focus has the best rep of these which means their value does not plummet as fast as the other domestics.

If FE is your primary concern, look for 5 speed cobalt coupes. These will easily get into the 40s for mpg and, IMO are pretty damn good looking.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:52 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Hudspeth Auto and Parts - www.hudspethauto.com

2011 Fiesta for $9,950.

That anywhere close to you.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
Easter McoModder

'99 Subaru OLL 2.5L - '99 Subaru Outback Legacy Limited
90 day: 22.57 mpg (US)

Rabbit - '08 VW Rabbit S
90 day: 32.93 mpg (US)
prius V

or

Mk IV Passat TDI
Old 02-03-2012, 09:48 PM   #16 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Thanks for the input everybody!

Right now, we are leaning towards a 2004 Prius with a Hymotion battery system in it.

It's a Prius, which everyone I've ever talked to LOVES their Prius, and they get great fuel economy. However, in general, they tend to be more expensive, but it's older, so the price isn't so bad, but it's also relatively low miles and the interior and exterior look perfect.

With the Hymotion plug-in kit, you sorta-kinda get an electric-ish car. You do at least get the option of getting some of your energy through renewable electricity from the wall.

We live about 2 miles outside a city of 15,000 people. So, a trip to the grocery store, park, library, etc, etc can be MOSTLY electric. Although the car is NOT a Volt or a Leaf, and the car will still use some gas, have to go through the warm-up sequence, etc.

We also live about 10 miles away from my parent's house and my sister's house. That's 20 miles round trip. The Hymotion pack is 5KW, so at 250 watt-hours per mile, that comes to 25 miles range, less losses and not driving your pack to empty, 20 miles sounds about perfect for driving more on electric than not. And we can top off the charge at the destination. (Sideroad routes are fairly good to both locations as well.)

We also looked at a brand-new Kia Soul. Overall, it was pretty nice. It uses the same engine and tranny as the Rio, but with more head-room, leg-room, and pretty usable cargo space. 100,000 mile warranty. I would definately consider one as far as plain gas cars go.

But back to the Hymotion Prius. It would pass the law of "it's not too weird" for my wife, but still allows me to mess around with mods and geek it up.

I know a couple other people with aftermarket battery packs in hybrids, who should be able to help me with the system in the future. For now, the Hymotion kit is still under warranty, and the warranty will transfer to a new owner.

Anyone on here have a Prius with a Hymotion kit? Anything you love/hate/want to warn me about?

The Hymotion installer is only about an hour drive from us, so if we ever did have to get warranty work on it, it wouldn't be a big deal.

Air-conditioning, cargo space, good fuel economy, partial-electric power. Sounds like a great all-around family car!

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
car choice, family car, hybrid