Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2011, 04:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Seems to me instrx and d0sitmatr agree that screen will block air. They disagree about the effectiveness of design ideas and whether the idea is even worthwhile. Earlier on this thread jthistle suggested a test. Good idea too. I have a question. If we doubled and trippled-up screens to create greater and greater blockage, wouldn't that also gradually bring down the beneficial effects of venting at slow speeds or at lights? Thanks.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-01-2011, 05:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by instarx View Post
So I think I will stick to the engineering formulas that say as the vehicle's speed increases, the screen (vertical, slanted, whatever) will block a greater and greater proportion of the incoming air. How much screen, how many layers, or how small a mesh size are just engineering details to be worked out. But the idea of using mesh as a variable air block material is a good one.
This has been my experience in making vent screens for snowmobiles.

Old 05-01-2011, 05:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Dilatant

Volvo - '00 Volvo V70 XC AWD SE
90 day: 27.7 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
I have a question. If we doubled and trippled-up screens to create greater and greater blockage, wouldn't that also gradually bring down the beneficial effects of venting at slow speeds or at lights? Thanks.
Well, some, but probably not much. Remember that the air moving through the mesh at stoplights is moving slowly and therefore there isn't much resistance from the mesh. You could of course carry it to extremes and block too much air.
The Following User Says Thank You to instarx For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (05-01-2011)
Old 05-01-2011, 06:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

08 xB - '08 Scion xB
90 day: 35.5 mpg (US)
The trick will be finding the balance between high speed blockage and low speed air flow. I have decided to follow up on my own test design. I found a cheap air speed meter on amazon and I purchased several steel mesh sheets with varying open areas. I should have results by this weekend.

I think there is something here. Have you ever had a fan in a window with a screen that gets starved when there is a gust of wind.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthistle View Post
I should have results by this weekend.
I have been converted: testing is cool. Seems like you'd want part of the test designed to allow air to seek the lower resistance route and go around your screens, no? If the air has nowhere else to go, it will surely go through the mesh, no? I'll look forward to results. Thanks.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Black Beauty - '13 Hyundai Elantra
The idea of an air block that is "invisible" at low speeds is of course awesome.

However, everyone seems to think this is going to work marvelously and that seems a little counter-intuitive to me. What about all the drag you are adding?
Old 05-02-2011, 10:27 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

CPT SLO - '93 GEO Metro plainjane
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

SilverHairBeauty - '01 Toyota Avalon XL
90 day: 24.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to metroschultz
I believe the idea is similar to running water over a window screen into a bucket.
Put the screen over your bucket.
Run your garden hose at a slow rate for a few minutes and observe.
Most, if not all, of the water goes through the screen into the bucket.
Turn your hose on full and observe.
Most of the water, but not all, goes over the screen onto the ground.
Turn the bucket at an angle and the full power water stream will almost completely bypass the bucket, while the low power stream still goes through the screen into your bucket. The greater the angle the greater the amount of water bypassing the bucket.
One of the simpler laws of hydrodynamics. Fluid does not like to turn corners and at higher flow or pressure rate the effect is more pronounced. I forget the formulas.
Also one of the hydrodynamic laws that can be directly applied to air flow, since air is a fluid and the difference is viscosity.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.
Albert Einstein
Old 05-02-2011, 11:33 AM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjohn View Post
The idea of an air block that is "invisible" at low speeds is of course awesome.

However, everyone seems to think this is going to work marvelously and that seems a little counter-intuitive to me. What about all the drag you are adding?
I have to agree with this. The added drag of shapes like window screen will be awful. Screens are almost as bad as radiators for drag.

-mort
Old 05-02-2011, 11:45 AM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Black Beauty - '13 Hyundai Elantra
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroschultz View Post
I believe the idea is similar to running water over a window screen into a bucket.
Put the screen over your bucket.
Run your garden hose at a slow rate for a few minutes and observe.
Most, if not all, of the water goes through the screen into the bucket.
Turn your hose on full and observe.
Most of the water, but not all, goes over the screen onto the ground.
Turn the bucket at an angle and the full power water stream will almost completely bypass the bucket, while the low power stream still goes through the screen into your bucket. The greater the angle the greater the amount of water bypassing the bucket.
One of the simpler laws of hydrodynamics. Fluid does not like to turn corners and at higher flow or pressure rate the effect is more pronounced. I forget the formulas.
Also one of the hydrodynamic laws that can be directly applied to air flow, since air is a fluid and the difference is viscosity.
Yes, I have basic college level physics so I understand the principals. I don't doubt for a second that more air will be deflected at higher speeds.

What I doubt is that you will make up for the increased drag of forcing air through a screeen.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:53 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Blue Meanie - '02 Volkswagon Golf TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 48.52 mpg (US)

Wife's car - '05 WV Passat TDI

Rudy - '94 Chevy C2500
I would figure that drag would be about the same as a sold grill block or slightly less. The reason is that at high speed the air that gets stopped creates a stagnation point forcing air away from the grill, by doing this less air entered the engine bay reducing the drag created by the turbulence in the engine bay. So the real question is, "Does the small increase in surface area and drag created by the screen decrease the drag created in the engine bay more/less/or by the same amounts?"

"It's not rocket surgery!" -MetroMPG
Reply  Post New Thread