Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2013, 09:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Too busy for gas stations

Turtle - '92 Honda Civic Vx
Team Honda
90 day: 67.09 mpg (US)

Rolla - '10 Toyota Corolla Le

Beast - '91 Chevy V2500

Bus - '01 VW Eurovan MV

Speed - '93 Harley bored and storked Harley w/ turbo/ nitrous
90 day: 53.09 mpg (US)

Cal - '68 Ford Mustang GT/CS
Windshield Trim

I looked in the search and aero lists without luck.

Replaced the windshield on my vx, and the trim is shot (top and side). They tired to reattach it, but its wore out. I could a) try to find replacements (haven't found any yet), or b) try to make something better.

The current setup is the windshield is slightly recessed into the chassis. the trim is flush with the chassis, and contains a channel along its base parallel to the windshield face.

Over the past couple of weeks i have looked at newer vehicle to see how aerodynamics have improved since then. Most now use the door frame to accomplish the same function, but are more flush at the top. Both styles look like the would create drag since the sides of the glass tapper towards the top (channel becomes a scoop). This is more pronounced in my application since the trim doesn't sit flush anymore, and creates a second channel of sorts.

Is this the best design, or would I be better of to form a trim piece myself that is completely flush out of windshield sealant (tape off, then use a caulking tool)?

Is it better to direct air out or up?

Is there a better way?

Is there another thread or site i should be looking at?

My goal here is to try to reduce drag, also to reduce noise.

-Aaron

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-16-2013, 06:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
VX

Quote:
Originally Posted by xntrx View Post
I looked in the search and aero lists without luck.

Replaced the windshield on my vx, and the trim is shot (top and side). They tired to reattach it, but its wore out. I could a) try to find replacements (haven't found any yet), or b) try to make something better.

The current setup is the windshield is slightly recessed into the chassis. the trim is flush with the chassis, and contains a channel along its base parallel to the windshield face.

Over the past couple of weeks i have looked at newer vehicle to see how aerodynamics have improved since then. Most now use the door frame to accomplish the same function, but are more flush at the top. Both styles look like the would create drag since the sides of the glass tapper towards the top (channel becomes a scoop). This is more pronounced in my application since the trim doesn't sit flush anymore, and creates a second channel of sorts.

Is this the best design, or would I be better of to form a trim piece myself that is completely flush out of windshield sealant (tape off, then use a caulking tool)?

Is it better to direct air out or up?

Is there a better way?

Is there another thread or site i should be looking at?

My goal here is to try to reduce drag, also to reduce noise.

-Aaron
HONDA's already 'optimized' the A-Pillar/rain-gutter aerodynamics in the wind tunnel.
There would be other areas of the car to modify which would better reward you at the gas pump.
If noise is a problem (I've driven the VX and don't recall a problem) I'd look at the side mirror itself.
You'll see modern mirrors with excresances designed in to alter the resonant frequency of the plastic shell.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Too busy for gas stations

Turtle - '92 Honda Civic Vx
Team Honda
90 day: 67.09 mpg (US)

Rolla - '10 Toyota Corolla Le

Beast - '91 Chevy V2500

Bus - '01 VW Eurovan MV

Speed - '93 Harley bored and storked Harley w/ turbo/ nitrous
90 day: 53.09 mpg (US)

Cal - '68 Ford Mustang GT/CS
Thanks for the reply. I know there is little to be gained; but since something had to be done anyway, I figured i might try to improve upon it. I had them reattach the trim today, still fits horrible with major gaps all around.

If it comes loose again or starts to bug me, I'll look into either flush fitting to windshield contour or blend into a-pillar. Which would be better?

Btw, both exterior mirrors are already gone.

Last edited by Superfuelgero; 05-16-2013 at 10:00 PM..
Old 05-18-2013, 12:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by xntrx View Post
Thanks for the reply. I know there is little to be gained; but since something had to be done anyway, I figured i might try to improve upon it. I had them reattach the trim today, still fits horrible with major gaps all around.

If it comes loose again or starts to bug me, I'll look into either flush fitting to windshield contour or blend into a-pillar. Which would be better?

Btw, both exterior mirrors are already gone.
If you're going to 'work' around the defective trim,DAP makes a 35-year acrylic-latex 'ALEX' caulk,in black color.About $1.39/tube.When dry it has a luster similar to rubber/Euro-black trim paint.
On my Dodge pickup,I taped off areas of the cowl and A-Pillars with 3M blue tape,then caulked the windshields rubber trim 'trouble' areas,smoothing,sculpting, and blending the caulk with a wet finger.
After drying I pulled the tape,leaving a nice clean line all around.
If you're not looking for 'it',you'll never notice it.