Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2012, 05:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Scudo - '98 Fiat Scudo (van) 1.9 TD
90 day: 40.94 mpg (US)
Winter Diesel

How bad does this affect FE?

I am not quite hitting the manufacturers claimed FE I should be in my van, and I am doing everything right. So maybe it is the winter diesel affecting it? Can any of you diesel owners in cold climates shed any light?

In previous vehicles (Petroleum fueled) I have always got great FE, much better than manufacturer claims, but I am struggling with this diesel.

Car Spares
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-16-2012, 05:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Berta - '97 BMW 318 tds Compact
90 day: 62.03 mpg (US)

Charlie - '07 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso Exclusive
90 day: 37.58 mpg (US)

Corsa - '05 Opel Corsa C
90 day: 53.22 mpg (US)

Mruczek - '03 Audi A2
90 day: 60.61 mpg (US)
Winter diesel is a bit thinner that summer one so it probably have slightly less BTU. But it shouldn't affect FE so much. Maybe there's something wrong with your engine or car? Check brakes, tyres pressure, air filter etc.

Quote:
Gerhard Plattner: "The best attitude is to consider fuel saving a kind of sport. Everybody who has enough money for a strong car, can drive fast and hit the pedal. But saving fuel requires concentration, self-control and cleverness. It's a challenge with the nice effect of saving you money that you can use for other more important things."
Old 04-16-2012, 07:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ZX - '97 Citroen ZX Monaco
OldContinents
90 day: 61.05 mpg (US)
It does affect some, BTU 129 500 vs 110 075 Aerodynamic & rolling resistance, power & MPG calculator - EcoModder.com, in practice I have no hope to go under 5l/100km with winter stuff but with summer stuff I can manage to 4.8l/100km if weather is nice. This even at winter air is cooler so more oxygen to cylinders. Same tires and pretty much same everything else, however two winters ago it was that I noticed that. Last winter was real disaster in fuel economy wise for me.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

It depends on the climate. If temperatures go much below zero C then they often mix number one diesel in with the regular diesel.

If temps do not go below zero very much, then the formula does not change.

I lived in an area where -20 C was pretty common. In winter I expected 20 percent worse mileage.

I found the white bottle PowerService helped restore that mileage somewhat and also made for easier starting.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks guys, so soon when it changes to summer diesel I hope to see improvements. If it affects it 20% I will be really happy. But any improvement even a 2% would be welcome.

drmiller100 yep it is proper winter diesel, this year it only got to -22°C but last year it was -33°C so I imagine the diesel has many anti-gel additives taking up valuable space.

Car Spares
Old 04-16-2012, 12:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

OldContinents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauki View Post
Thanks guys, so soon when it changes to summer diesel I hope to see improvements. If it affects it 20% I will be really happy. But any improvement even a 2% would be welcome.

drmiller100 yep it is proper winter diesel, this year it only got to -22°C but last year it was -33°C so I imagine the diesel has many anti-gel additives taking up valuable space.
Here it has been summer diesel at least 2 weeks, maybe even longer.

I would think that you have had summer quality longer at the coast.

It was enough cold this winter here, -36C or so, but then again I live at one of the coldest place if lapland is excluded.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbo View Post
Here it has been summer diesel at least 2 weeks, maybe even longer.

I would think that you have had summer quality longer at the coast.

It was enough cold this winter here, -36C or so, but then again I live at one of the coldest place if lapland is excluded.
You are right for most places, but on our island, population 850, there is only one diesel pump so if the huge tank was filled with winter diesel it will remain there until it is used up.

Car Spares
Old 04-16-2012, 01:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

OldContinents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauki View Post
You are right for most places, but on our island, population 850, there is only one diesel pump so if the huge tank was filled with winter diesel it will remain there until it is used up.
Ah, it used to be like that at here too, population of 1000, but so few used that pump that petrol station owner could not realize cash to fill up tanks every time they went dry, which meant that they had to stop selling the stuff, it has been now around two years that they have been trying to sell that station, but there is not lot of hope to find anyone that would take such high risk.

That means that I have to drive 60km to just get tank filled up.

Reply  Post New Thread